Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Thief Gold

RatFink

Educated
hey if you got that far you might consider going expert! you mustve learned the ropes by now + it is just more of the awesomeness that is thief!

you could even start over cause you are not that far in ;)

there really is NO REASON WHATSOEVER not to play expert! it makes it so much more enjoyable and rewarding! (and most likely a longer game!)

do it! or try it at least! :salute:

Krraloth

Prophet
Patron
Wasteland 2
Antediluvian said:
Compared to clueless losers from DX/SC/MGS, Thief NPCs are fucking Einsteins among AIs

I'm not arguing that, is just a minor thing a bit silly. I am actually having FUN with this game.

RatFink said:
hey if you got that far you might consider going expert!

Oh but I am playing expert. I played hard only the first two missions, will certainly replay them in expert but now I'm curious about the other missions.

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Bros, I need some advice. I'm playing Thief Gold on the hardest difficulty and am on the second mission. There are corpses I keep encountering that animate when I come near and attack. If I do fight one, it takes quite a few hits to take down. I can't seem to find a way to sneak by one corpse that is lying on the ground in the center of a corridor I want to travel down. Can the corpses be snuck around just like guards, or do they animate and attack when you pass a set distance regardless of your actions?

Divinity: Original Sin
If you creep close to the corpses without making noise, they normally don't stand up. I think you have to touch or make noise for them to wake up. Anyway, if they re-animate, just backstab them with your sword, and they fall like as if blackjacked. But they'll re-animate again if you do make noise or touch them.

catfood

AGAIN
Bros, I need some advice. I'm playing Thief Gold on the hardest difficulty and am on the second mission. There are corpses I keep encountering that animate when I come near and attack. If I do fight one, it takes quite a few hits to take down. I can't seem to find a way to sneak by one corpse that is lying on the ground in the center of a corridor I want to travel down. Can the corpses be snuck around just like guards, or do they animate and attack when you pass a set distance regardless of your actions?
They reanimate only if you get close enough to them. But you don't need to worry too much about it as you can easily just run away from them. There are other undead later on that you do need to worry about. ;)

Elthosian

Arcane
You can also use holy water (sadly, I don't remember if you can get some of it during the Bonehoard mission) on your water arrows in order to permanently kill the zombies, works wonderfully if they are grouped as they have some kind of AOE effect, the same goes for the fire ones, though it's better to aim those to their torso for maximum effectiveness.

Another useful strategy would be luring them to corners of the map you won't be visiting anymore, backstabbing them like Darth Slaughter said and then getting away before they have the chance to "detect" you again, or you could simply sneak past them with the slow movement key, or using moss arrows to minimize the sound your footsteps cause.

Man, that game had so many possibilities, even while dealing with zombies there were a lot of worthwhile options.

Self-Ejected

ScottishMartialArts

Self-Ejected
In Break From Cragscleft, there is a ruined Hammerite chapel on the 3rd or 4th level of the mines (I forget which). There, you will find a holy water fountain, and several bottles of holywater. Presuming that you bought some extra water arrows at the start of the mission, you should now have everything you need to kill the zombies. If you're trying to ghost, then simply not touching the prone zombie corpse should be sufficient to avoid it reanimating. It will however groan at you as you pass close by, which is the game's way of warning you not to get much closer or you'll have to deal with an active zombie.

Esquilax

Arcane
There is a 'creep' key. Use it..

I don't think that there's a "Creep" key in Thief Gold, bro. However, if you move around crouched very slowly and stop before Garrett's tap-dancing shoes make a ruckus, you can move through tile and metal surfaces without making a sound.

MCA
Krraloth said:
But I didn't have 6 water arrows to keep the drops coming, I foolishly used them to extinguish torches to sneak around zombies (noob-less oblige)

Were there stashes of water arrows around?
Free tip: collect all the golden bones. AFAIR there was also a stash of water arrows not far from the first holy water pond, look for a crack in the wall.

Unless you play Expert. There is no crack or water arrows or holy water pond when you play in Expert.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong

I don't think that there's a "Creep" key in Thief Gold, bro. However, if you move around crouched very slowly and stop before Garrett's tap-dancing shoes make a ruckus, you can move through tile and metal surfaces without making a sound.
It's there. Possibly unconfigurated, maybe requiring diving into the config file (which has other advantages, such as using caps lock for toggle running, toggle crouch, quicksave/quickload)

It's certainly there after the 1.19 patch, since that uses the Thief 2 engine (but it's there anyway).

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

It's there. Possibly unconfigurated, maybe requiring diving into the config file (which has other advantages, such as using caps lock for running, quicksave/quickload)

It's certainly there after the 1.19 patch, since that uses the Thief 2 engine (but it's there anyway).

In the keyboard options, the creep key is called "speed toggle".

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
To deal with zombies that are laying on the ground: Try running past them. I mean it. Zombies usually take a moment or two to realize that there's someone nearby, then they get up and investigate. I've found out that it's enough time for you to run past them and while they'll groan, they won't get up.

If you're using TFix to play Thief Gold, you will encounter some... abnormalities in critter AI, so some of the advice given (even mine) may not work.

As for the Bonehoard, there IS a holy water font on Expert... it's just not anywhere near where the Fire Spectres are, but almost right back at the start of the OM, so that won't be of much help. There are some water arrows in the room with the statues and the dead thief, nearby where all the dead burricks are, but that's way out of the way from the tomb itself.

Divinity: Original Sin
I'm currently playing thief FMs, but I have this ritual that I must install all thief games so I set up all of them and use darkloader and garrettloader to install the FM. And I realized after I installed thief gold with the new patch, that if you just copy your thief 2 "bind" (*.bnd) file to your main thief gold directory, the controls will act the same way as in thief 2. Oh, you have to rename it to "user.bnd". You should not try to use thief gold in-game settings to change and save the bindings.

PetrusOctavianus

Educated
In Cragscleft you can often "introduce" Zombies and Hammerites to each other. Sadly, the Hammerites don't seem to have any way of killing the zombies. :(

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
In Cragscleft you can often "introduce" Zombies and Hammerites to each other. Sadly, the Hammerites don't seem to have any way of killing the zombies. :(

Actually, Hammerite hammers should be able to gib zombies. They're blessed or something.

PetrusOctavianus

Educated

Actually, Hammerite hammers should be able to gib zombies. They're blessed or something.

Hmm...when I tried this the zombies would rise up again after being "killed" by the hammerites. I didn't test it very thorougly, though.

Zakhad

Savant
my favourite zombie-killing method in the bonehoard is to lead them all in a group up the main stairs in the catacombs, up to the room where the fireball trap shoots constantly. Then wait for it to gib them all as they try to follow you.

I'd say it was cheap, but there's no way Garrett would have seen that opportunity and not taken it.

I love that level so much.:love:

Also, don't understand why anyone wouldn't play in expert. More goals per mission = more interesting game.

Elthosian

Arcane
my favourite zombie-killing method in the bonehoard is to lead them all in a group up the main stairs in the catacombs, up to the room where the fireball trap shoots constantly. Then wait for it to gib them all as they try to follow you.

I'd say it was cheap, but there's no way Garrett would have seen that opportunity and not taken it.

Also, don't understand why anyone wouldn't play in expert. More goals per mission = more interesting game.

:bro:

The game does become much better when you play in expert, not only it makes killing sprees totally impossible, but as you said, the extra goals force you to explore every corner of the levels and make everything much more rewarding, like Perfect Dark, which makes levels biggers and adds lots of extra objectives instead of just making enemies hit harder.

Also, although many people hated them, I also loved the undead missions, they had some cool puzzles, platforming, lots of exploration and some of the best designed areas in the entire series, and that adventuring feeling the tombs had was amazing too, it's really funny when you notice how LGS made a better adventure than Naughty Dog with their Indiana Jones-based series, Uncharted.

Zakhad

Savant

:bro:

The game does become much better when you play in expert, not only it makes killing sprees totally impossible, but as you said, the extra goals force you to explore every corner of the levels and make everything much more rewarding, like Perfect Dark, which makes levels biggers and adds lots of extra objectives instead of just making enemies hit harder.

Also, although many people hated them, I also loved the undead missions, they had some cool puzzles, platforming, lots of exploration and some of the best designed areas in the entire series, and that adventuring feeling the tombs had was amazing too, it's really funny when you notice how LGS made a better adventure than Naughty Dog with their Indiana Jones-based series, Uncharted.

Yeah, Perfect Dark another game that did that well - I suppose most games don't because it's too much work.

It was my favourite bit of DM of M&M, an often terrible game considering its association with some former Looking Glass people, the bits where you trawled through caverns filled with undead looking for treasure, while using Rope arrows to avoid them.

Made me sad/enraged by how much we lost when thief 3 was shit. (And thief 4 promises nothing better, either. More popamole violated-by-console-limitations bullshit.)

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Well, just finished this game after many, many months of playing on and off and getting stuck every so often. The last mission is actually easier than the one in the abandoned monastery, in my opinion, but it was still fun to watch the antagonist get his comeuppance. I also can't talk enough about the awesome art in the cut scenes and the music. I liked the final scene, which added both a reveal and a deeper sense of mystery. Really well done.

As stated previously, the tone and atmosphere of this game is pretty creepy and the puzzles fun to figure out. I really liked this game and a couple of the Metal Gear Solids since it focuses on stealth and a protagonist who avoids killing instead of going in and wiping everyone out. I will admit I created some stacks of unconscious people after black jacking them one at a time and dragging them into dark corners. Also, the game allows you to solve puzzles with the tools available as you like, from knocking out foes, to running past using the shadows, or trick arrows. This is a fantastic game.

:love:

I just loaded up Thief 2: The Metal Age and the graphics are much sharper. I haven't played it yet, but simply loaded the first mission and spent a minute checking it out. The mission opens up with a solid voice over that reminds me of the first game, so I am glad they didn't go another route and am hopeful that I'll enjoy the sequel as much as I enjoyed this.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Thief 2 has sharper graphics and an easier "engine" in that it won't spazz out like the T1/TG engine is want to do. No leapfrogging, no rope arrows either being coated with oil (if you grip too lowly) or shooting you into the upper stratosphere (if you grab too highly).

Its only real downside is that you will run into some... tedium in the missions. They will mostly feature the same adversaries in the same environments, not the diverse range of missions you encountered in T1/TG. It also has a sharp drop in Undead, I counted only 8 of them in my last T2 playthrough (on Expert)... and most of them are hidden and not plot-vital.

Last edited:

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Yeah, T2 lacks some of the atmosphere of TG and has a more variable quality in level design. The Bank and Life of the Party are among my all time favourite levels of any games, but some levels just feel too large; I feel that I'm playing a midget little person in the warehouse level (2nd level called Shipping and Receiving, I think).

If you prefer thieving from humanoids to tomb raiding exotic locales (as a very vocal segment of the fans did) you'll probably like T2 better.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Fuck those guys, thief without undead is not thief (best game ever fuck you if you disagree).

Correct_Carlo

Arcane
TG has some of the best individual missions in the series, and its best missions are better than anything in T2, but T2 is a better overall game.

I didn't mind the zombies in the earlier levels (that one level in TG where you have to return the bodies to the graves and do a bunch of other stuff is one of my favorites, and that's all undead), but I think the last 2 or 3 missions of the game where it's all monsters and not many objectives other than "get to the end of the level" are awful. I got so bored with those levels that I just ran through as quickly as possible with a trail of monsters kiting behind me the whole way (which, honestly, is the best way to do them on expert. Stealthing or fighting through them would take ages and just be frustrating, I think).

System Shock 2 had that problem as well, though, in that it kind of degenerates into a really shitty FPS in it's last couple levels (and dark engine, while awesome at stealth, isn't a great combat engine). T2 is my favorite dark engine game by a mile just because combat is entirely optional (yeah, you could probably avoid combat in some of TG's undead/monster levels too if determined, but it makes things way more frustrating).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom