Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Thief : I approve of this good shit.

RatFink

Educated
It's been a while since we last got to don Garrett's robe and sneak around stabbing people

:x

Calem Ravenna

Scholar
RatFink said:
It's been a while since we last got to don Garrett's robe and sneak around stabbing people

:x

What did you expect? The writer probably has next to no idea about the games before "The excellent Thief: Deadly Shadows".

Because if he did, he'd write stabbing and slashing :smug:

MetalCraze

Arcane
Do you really even think his bullshit has something in common with reality?

Rule of thumb for the past decade is - if dev is talking about how some feature is important and progressive - it will be FUBAR.

The sole fact that they didn't even try to invite Brosius to do sound design, entrusting Thief Sound(tm) to a, literally, nobody-guy, tells you everything you need to know.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Spellcaster said:
And the sole fact the Brosius is now a pretty merry Guitar Hero dev tells you everything you need to know about the potential inner faggot that lies within him. No matter how much we love his former stuff, maybe he's not the right person to do it anymore.
He's a sound guy. He's not responsible for the game's design. Brandon makes shitty game music today as well, however like Brosius the sound mastering is still top notch.

Who was Eric Brosius before LGS, but a "nobody-guy"? Unless you were a fan of his band or something, that is.
Before he started working on Thief he already had a lot of experience in doign what he does. The guy in question has none.

The fact that we're incredulous about the game shouldn't transform us into some shitstorm retarded that throws tomatoes at the devs even when they say the right things. That's not skepticism, it's just plain silliness.
Saying right things and doing right things are two different things and in most cases opposite.

Zomg

Arbiter
I tried to play Thief 1 a couple of years ago and the shit just bounced off of me. Felt no motivation. What do I care about stealing shit when the next mission I am just stealing more shit? Drifted off after the first map. It's one of those games where I know there's something to it but I just hit it at the wrong angle.

I'd have liked almost the same thing except with a higher-level overgame, like building your own factional Thieves' Guild or something X-Com style, using incriminating notes you found to open up new opportunities, instead of mission 1 mission 2 etc.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
You don't need to take it as a story. In fact, as soon as you get into fan missions, it is more like a "shared zeitgeist" than even a "shared universe".

Just try to ghost, it's the more challenging type of gameplay. You don't need to do retarded shit like lock doors again, but it's fun not being noticed and not "cleaning up" a map so you can't jump around like a retard (or it's fun to know when to jump around like a retard if you never touched anyone).

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
Zomg said:
I tried to play Thief 1 a couple of years ago and the shit just bounced off of me. Felt no motivation. What do I care about stealing shit when the next mission I am just stealing more shit?

I'd have liked almost the same thing except with a higher-level overgame, like building your own factional Thieves' Guild or something X-Com style, using incriminating notes you found to open up new opportunities, instead of mission 1 mission 2 etc.

Sorry, but that doesn't even make sense. Would you dismiss a good shooter because every mission boils down to killing some more shit? I mean your argument pretty much dismisses any game which has a mission-based structure instead of the open-ended strategic layer x-com approach.

I think you got a wrong impression about Thief. This is not some "rob generic mainson x" simulator providing you a bunch of missions without context.
There's a very engaging story line.
The Thief games always start out with Garret doing one or two of his generic thievery missions until he get's apporached by a mysterious client, caught up in faction politics and gets involved in some bigger plot. Level design and mission goals vary in the context of the evolving story.

It's a story and mission based first person game, except you are mostly sneaking/evading enemies/stealing instead of shooting stuff. I don't see how that is different from any other linear mission based game in the history of computer games.

Zomg

Arbiter
Yeah, I didn't really know what I was getting I guess. For some reason linear-story mission sneaker does not compute for me.

Lumpy

Arcane
Zomg said:
Building a Thieves' Guild wat? This is incredibly stupid. The story is there just for flavor anyway, I wouldn't be surprised if they made the missions first and then figured out how to fit them together.
Which is how good games should be made - stupid shit like story should never stand in the way of good gameplay.

Zomg

Arbiter
The thing is that internally the missions themselves are so non-linear I feel like I gotta have some kind of motivation, like in a strategic overgame a la X-Com or a continuous space like System Shock, since the vast majority of what you are doing is poking around memorizing 3D spaces. I wasn't saying "I need a story" but "I need a gameplay context". But then I did play Doom which also has no context beyond linearly-chained missions with no complaint so I guess I just don't get Thief. Maybe it's the realistic setting and the scattered story stuff like guard conversations that Doomish games don't have.

W/e I guess I shouldn't barge into a game thread for some shit I only played the first mission of.

It's about stealthing around more than it even is about stealing shit. Good story or not. It has good stealth. You spend most of the game stealthing around. Either you like a good stealth game or not. It's that simple. You are not obliged to enjoy anything you don't want to.
*Edit* And I only mean videogames here by the way. There are plenty of things in life on should enjoy otherwise. Yeah I'm high right now. I should be doing something a lot more fun than visiting internet forums, I'm sure..

Eyeball

Arcane
Never been able to get into the Thief series. I've played all Hitman games, so I wonder why this is. I just find their environments and objectives to be vastly superior to those of Thief, and all Hitman games past 1 reward stealth and subtlety as well.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
MetalCraze said:
Why does every time they say something is innovative in a game - it turns out horribly raped and primitive?

But really I can't wait to see how bad Thiaf is, a complex, punishing, exploration-oriented stealth game and consoles can't exist together and never will.

It will be a fuel for my rage.

This will be all the fuel I'll need to become a fully fledged Skyway acolyte. After Thi4f there will be nothing left....the rest is silence.....

Divinity: Original Sin
Eyeball said:
Never been able to get into the Thief series. I've played all Hitman games, so I wonder why this is. I just find their environments and objectives to be vastly superior to those of Thief, and all Hitman games past 1 reward stealth and subtlety as well.

I like hitman series too, but ai behavior is bugged and doesn't behave the way it's supposed to be, like detecting you in situations that you did nothing wrong.

Serpent in the Staglands Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Ah yes, Thief. Definitely one of the best game series of all time. I am in agreement with people that like TDP better than Thief 2, but they are both masterpieces.

Also, Thief 2 had this moment:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IU8gMHDkH48

Lumpy said:
I wouldn't be surprised if they made the missions first and then figured out how to fit them together.

That's what they did for Thief 2, Thief 1 was missions based around the story.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Dajaaj said:

The true sign of a master thief: Stealing the arrows from their quivers while they're having this argument without interrupting it. :smug:

Lumpy said:
I wouldn't be surprised if they made the missions first and then figured out how to fit them together.

That's what they did for Thief 2, Thief 1 was missions based around the story.

They were propably going to address that in Thief 2 Gold, but they kinda went out of business before they could do that.

EDIT: Typo.

Joghurt

Augur
Damn it I just downloaded and installed Thief Gold and it fucking brings back the memories. There was a little problem of making in run on Vista, but in the end it wasn't that hard.

I haven't played the game since it came out and I must still admit that it is THE best stealth game ever made. Just completed the first level and started the second level. The one where you have to break into prison through the haunted mines. Fucking zombies!

Divinity: Original Sin
JarlFrank said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bIK3clIVLs

Wow... just hear the sounds of this video. It's so simple and so real. Thief sounds really have a transcendent quality. You can almost feel the smell on the scene.

denizsi

Arcane
ironyuri said:
Anyway, Thief was one of my formative gaming experiences and has helped to define my tastes in playstyle in alot of other genres as well.

This made me think of children. Codex needs to compile a consensual master list of games as parental guidance service, for potential future little Codexers to play and live out their youth full of awesome experiences like many of us 25+'ers did before they age prematurely by playing shit console games and become jaded far too soon.

Which makes me wonder about the resident parents.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
'Victoria is quite right mr Garrett. I don't mean to sound ungrateful, but this eye is completely blind...'

'BOW to the Woodsie Lord and offer up your flesh eye so that his eye of stone may see... manboon manfool!'

'It is as it was written. The Trickster is dead... Beware the dawn of the Metal Age'

Just finished Thief Gold again :thumbsup: Fucking awesome stuff that will still remain fucking awesome for years to come.

Now for the 943576th replay of Metal Age... :salute: And Deadly Shadows after that. Thief marathon, fuck yeah.

Also, something that bugs me after playing through this again. Why in the shit can't the Trickster get the Eye himself? I mean, sure, the main gate to the cathedral is closed by the elemental wards, but what exactly is stopping him from blasting/jumping over the gate of the cloister, and then using the cathedral's backdoor to snatch the gem?

SharkClub

Prophet
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Just reinstalled both, holy shit nostalgia. Been a few years since I've played.

I prefer The Dark Project, but The Metal Age is a better stealth experience, my problem with it is that it lacks the grimdark demonic atmosphere. I remember the first time I found a Haunt in TDP I almost shat myself.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom