Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Crispy™ Thinking about getting a PS2, need some advice

zwanzig_zwoelf

Actually, I know perfectly requirements of a proper PS2 emulation. Person needs to be able to be willing to play with settings, applying settings from database would decrease quality in some cases. Then there is also overclocking on users own risk, when user self educates in overclocking. And then there are HW requirements for reasonable PS2 emulation, which are surprisingly accessible even for these in poverty.

Rule n.1 PS2 is CPU bound and needs dual core with speed at least 3.2 GHz, which is at least Core2 Duo, or newer. Basically nearly anything that was manufactured by Intel during last 5 years.
Rule n.2 If someone wants HW acceleration, he needs GFX card. GT 640 should be able to do it. GTX 660 or better would be able to do it. It's pointless to use something faster only for PS2 emulation, because GTX 660 is able to run smoothly game that can be expanded to 1920x1080. Note this expansion to higher resolution can cause graphical glitches. I think Xenosaga is prone to certain lines which are a glitch caused by using higher resolution than native. On the other hand Xenosaga models looks MUCH better at 1920x1080. So Xenosaga is an example of fucked if do, fucked if don't.

Rule n.3 Intel fuck over standarts, and PS2 emulators run MUCH better on Intel. (Which matters especially when you run on old CPU.)
Rule n.4 For some reason PS2 emulation works better with NVidia cards.

(And you don't have to waste money on TV.)
I used to fuck around PS2 emulation for quite some time, but thanks for reminding me of what I already know with some new info on top of it.
However, I'm still interested in getting the PS2 instead of upgrading my PC. It's cheaper for me right now (prices for new stuff are bloated here thanks to the dorra issues) and I might have an old TV lying in my basement.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
prices for new stuff are bloated here thanks to the dorra issues)
Well that sucks.
I always look forward to a nice dollar collapse. (And I always scream murder about these microcenter deals that are not available for me, when I upgrade my PC.)

zwanzig_zwoelf

prices for new stuff are bloated here thanks to the dorra issues)
Well that sucks.
I always look forward to a nice dollar collapse. (And I always scream murder about these microcenter deals that are not available for me, when I upgrade my PC.)
Dollar is slowly collapsing here, so I might reconsider it. But until I see it crashing and burning back to the currency of Nov/Dec 2013, I'm skeptical about making any purchases and getting a new rig.

zwanzig_zwoelf

While I'm negotiating the prices and trying to get a better deal, can anyone tell me about Armored Core series? I've got a thing for Kota Hoshino's music (his stuff and style really starts to corrupt and influence my own), and gameplay seems somewhat interesting. At least Armored Core 4 looks like a definite piece of incline.

Malpercio

Arcane
Getting a PS2 should be mandatory for any gamer, the library is simply MASSIVE and there is tons of hidden shit that is basically forgotten and will never make on steam/PS4 via remastered.

GrainWetski

Arcane
Getting a PS2 should be mandatory for any gamer, the library is simply MASSIVE and there is tons of hidden shit that is basically forgotten and will never make on steam/PS4 via remastered.
Getting a PC capable of emulating PCSX2 properly is what you mean.

Malpercio

Arcane
Well, I guess that works too.

Altough, I already use my PC to emulate various devices (not to mention PC gaming itself), so I prefer to spread stuff as much as I can (So I'm still using my PS2 even though I have a CFW PS3 or a PC capable of emulating PS2)

Not the same. Some great games such as Ace Combat don't emulate well. (bugs with the sun in this case)

rbenchley

Educated
Patron

Not the same. Some great games such as Ace Combat don't emulate well. (bugs with the sun in this case)
True, not every game is properly emulated, but playing the rest of the games with much higher resolutions, AA and AF is fantastic. Games like FF XII, Valkyrie Profile 2, and Dragon Quest VIII are simply stunning when they're freed from the shackles of crappy old hardware.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
BTW how's PS2 emulation on PS3?
Played a bunch on my phat PS3, and for the most part it's good. There are a couple games that have weird little glitches though. My PS3 just doesn't seem to like Silent Hill games; SH2 had this weird issue where limbs would flicker and disappear during cutscenes, and during SH3 the game wouldn't properly render Douglas' beard, making it out to be a blocky mess.

The absolute worst was Persona 3: FES, though. During one specific moment in one cutscene in the entire game, it would just freeze. Not crash or anything (I could still bring up the PS3 menu), just freeze. It took something like 40 minutes for it to start playing again and I got through the rest of the game without issue. This happened every time on subsequent replays.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom