Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

THQ goes bankrupt - Sega gets Relic, Gearbox gets Homeworld, Deep Silver gets Metro and Saints Row

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Since when is a 2 year development cycle long? Christ, that used to be considered short, especially for a big name IP.

"Used to be" when? You'd be surprised to learn of the length of the development cycles of some of the greatest games of the early 90's and before that. The idea of "masterpiece" games that take 3 or more years to develop might be considered a strange historical anomaly one day.

hiver

Freespace 3? Only if you want a streamlined next gen abomination.

bonescraper

Because the X games are streamlined, multiplatform, next-gen abominations, right. You're just whining for the sake of whining. I'm not saying there's going to be Freespace 3, but you wouldn't see another Freespace game under THQ's or any other major publisher's banner anyway. Not even a streamlined one. Well, if there's actually something to streamline there, it's just a space shooter.

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Because the X games are streamlined, multiplatform, next-gen abominations, right. You're just whining for the sake of whining. I'm not saying there's going to be Freespace 3, but you wouldn't see another Freespace game under THQ's or any other major publisher's banner anyway. Not even a streamlined one. Well, if there's actually something to streamline there, it's just a space shooter.

Muwahahaha... You vastly underestimate the powers of decline. For starters, imagine Freespace without keyboard controls, where you are limited to the number of buttons on the game-pad.

I am not not even trying now...

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
There's also one other thing, the second bid amount is *not* what the other guys bid before they got outbid. That's what they offered initially before going into a bid-outbid fight with the other guy. The idea is that if the winner was bidding out of his ass with money he does not have, they only pay what they would pay if those guys who won never bid at all. So that jackasses couldn't troll you into buying shit overpriced by saying "LOL NO MONEY KTHX NOW PAY 7 ZILLION FOR THIS PIECE OF SHIT".
If that's the case then why are the Sega/Zenimax numbers different from all the others? That looks like the outcome of a bidding war.

Sul

Savant
Thank god Sega got Relic. They are one of the few major publishers that still see the PC as a viable plataform for AAA games.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
There's also one other thing, the second bid amount is *not* what the other guys bid before they got outbid. That's what they offered initially before going into a bid-outbid fight with the other guy. The idea is that if the winner was bidding out of his ass with money he does not have, they only pay what they would pay if those guys who won never bid at all. So that jackasses couldn't troll you into buying shit overpriced by saying "LOL NO MONEY KTHX NOW PAY 7 ZILLION FOR THIS PIECE OF SHIT".
If that's the case then why are the Sega/Zenimax numbers different from all the others? That looks like the outcome of a bidding war.
Or the 20 or so millions were the asking price and Zenimax didn't feel too strongly about the sale to enter a bidding war.

bonescraper

This plus clever UI design (selection wheels etc.), and you pretty much can port Freespace 2 on consoles really.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
But first Derp Silver would have to buy Freespace from Interplay.

Herve would like $200 million for that.

Yeah, I actually checked to see if possibly Interplay let that Trademark expire, and nope, they renewed the Freespace Trademark on October 26, 2012 interestingly. So do not expect a new Freespace any time.

BaconAndEggs

Augur
My inner space shooting fanboy really wants a Freespace 3 that plays just like the first two games, but it's probably a good thing that Interplay holds the rights to Freespace, keeping it practically defunct (barring a Herve business move). Just look at what happened to Ultima when EA decided to actually use the licence. :(

deuxhero

Arcane
I'm curious what happened to a lot of the smaller stuff now that THQ won't exist in a few months. Random example I've seen is Quest 64's (a game I've never played) NA publishing rights.

hiver

it's just a space shooter.
and you are a cantaloupe.
and a dumbfucking moron.

Freespace is a tactical space sim shooter.
And there is a world of difference between that and youre little company cock sucking retarded point of view.

Press A to shoot.
Keep pressed A to shoot rockets.
Double tap A to do a barrel roll.
:retarded:

So you would just shoot rockets in a stream, and do full barrel rolls - and thats not streamlining?
And youre so stupid and limited that you think those few controls are all there is?

Squad orders? Individual and per wing? Defending and attacking. Targeting enemies? Targeting objections? Targeting everything? Targeting friendlies?
How about targeting specific parts of bigger ships? Controlling shield, engines, weapons energy on the fly?

How about content?
Is that irrelevant? Are you another moron that thinks Freespace is just a space shooter?

Hellraiser

Arcane
Or the 20 or so millions were the asking price and Zenimax didn't feel too strongly about the sale to enter a bidding war.

Or there was a third party involved with which either Sega or Zenimax were in a bidding war until one of them decided to get involved and the 3rd party said "fuck this shit". Although the asking price just being high could have simply be the reason.

Heresiarch

Prophet
Thank god Sega got Relic. They are one of the few major publishers that still see the PC as a viable plataform for AAA games.

Heh, considering how late Sega actually started into PC gaming market, that's some fucking irony.

Kitako

Arcane
it's just a space shooter.
and you are a cantaloupe.
and a dumbfucking moron.

Freespace is a tactical space sim shooter.
And there is a world of difference between that and youre little company cock sucking retarded point of view.

Press A to shoot.
Keep pressed A to shoot rockets.
Double tap A to do a barrel roll.
:retarded:

So you would just shoot rockets in a stream, and do full barrel rolls - and thats not streamlining?
And youre so stupid and limited that you think those few controls are all there is?

Squad orders? Individual and per wing? Defending and attacking. Targeting enemies? Targeting objections? Targeting everything? Targeting friendlies?
How about targeting specific parts of bigger ships? Controlling shield, engines, weapons energy on the fly?

How about content?
Is that irrelevant? Are you another moron that thinks Freespace is just a space shooter?
No, I loved F2 long and hard for many years.
I was just imagining how they'd make F3 in this AAAAAAAAwesome generation.

Z7agTdH.gif

hiver

aahh... my sarcasm detector efficiency was momentarily reduced in order to increase power of rage beam weapons because some derptard called my precious Freespace a bloody "space shooter".

bonescraper

aahh... my sarcasm detector efficiency was momentarily reduced in order to increase power of rage beam weapons because some derptard called my precious Freespace a bloody "space shooter".
Ok, it's a space racing game if you wish. Yeah, i know, i struck a nerve again :lol:

Black_Willow

Arcane
Lol @ retards calling Freespace "space sim".
Look mom, i can shoot those evil aliens with my assisted targeting, so pro!
Get out of my lawn brats, so I can get back to playing Tie Fighter.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom