Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Three Reasons that Fallout 3 will be better than this game.

Argosy

Novice
First, graphics. You can say that graphics are not as important as gameplay all you want, but unless graphics have zero importance to a game, a game with good graphics and good gameplay is better than a game with bad graphics and good gameplay. And we all know that AoD looks like ass.

Second, choice and consequence. In Fallout 3, at any one point one has more spatial choices as the game operates in five axes(rotation of view along the x-plane and y-plane, movement along x,y, and z planes) compared to the much more limited spatial movement of AoD. And of course there are consequences to this. If you move, the consequence is that you're standing somewhere else.

Third, roleplaying. Fallout 3 has more limited choices in terms of quests, motivations, and the like that determine the character. In AoD, you are(supposedly) more free to act in whichever way suits your particular style. And last time I checked, roleplaying is about playing a role.

In Fallout 3, you're playing the role of a guy who wants to search for his father and has a penchant for violence over diplomacy. In AoD, you're a guy who does whatever the hell he wants. What kind of role is that? An over-broad one. It's supposed to be roleplaying, people, not rolemaking.

So to summarize, Fallout 3 has better graphics and gameplay. All this game has is a guy whose initials remind people of syphilis.

Longshanks

Augur
Fail - AoD's camera is rotatable and zoomable, so there are only two reasons why Fallout 3 will be better than AoD :lol:.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Re: Three Reasons that Fallout 3 will be better than this ga

Argosy said:
Second, choice and consequence. In Fallout 3, at any one point one has more spatial choices as the game operates in five axes(rotation of view along the x-plane and y-plane, movement along x,y, and z planes) compared to the much more limited spatial movement of AoD. And of course there are consequences to this. If you move, the consequence is that you're standing somewhere else.
:D

Epic win.

Hory

Erudite

Argosy said:
These are weak choices because they can be immediately reversed. I'm sure AoD has better consequences. Find another point.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/in ... opic=471.0

It looks interesting, but it also looks..very old. I don't mind old games, but I think they took "like the old days" too far. Turn based was neat in Disciples II, but in games like Fallout I really hated it.

Turn-based is a turn-off for me. Might pick it up when it hits the bargin bin.

Okay, I'm sick of being optimistic and understanding: for a game that isn't even released yet, those graphics are something you'd see 3 to 5 years ago. yuck.gif

When I saw the first screen shot, I was like, "What, is this Neverwinter Nights?"

Oh, it is also isometric. Not that this is bad, but it is a little restrictive not having a free-form camera and seeing through the roofs of buildings.

It doesn't look all that different from Fallout's, which truth be told, I didn't regard as anything exciting.

I stopped reading at turn based. I don't like turn based RPG's at all (unless they do it like KOTOR)...

I think out of spite for the developers, I'm not picking this up.

do we actually have to pay for this or is it a freebe

If its not free i'm not buying it

I'm not getting it because the setting looks totally unappealing and the UI looks complicating.

That said, after decades of RPGs that just try to emulate the pen and paper systems that they'll never be able to approach the appeal of, I have no interest in a game that uses the fact that it's trying to do just that as one of its main selling points. I'm just sick of that kind of game, and if I really wanted to play one then I'd rather have a ruleset played with friends and a human DM who drives the plot and gameplay than a generic clone of older games that depends on its writing more than anything else to appeal to people, has a lot of false choices that mostly just involve overly verbose ways of saying "[good guy response to quest]/[bad guy response to quest]/[refusal to accept quest]" with the long-term results for each being basically the same, and that plays like something that I've already been playing over the past decade.

Although apparently even though it has over 100 quests it only has 22 locations, which means I'd prolly get bored of having to go to the same place more then once. And I'd prefer it to have magic in it.

meh, looks too much like runescape, and runescape's free so why bother?

Turned based games are a plague on our society. How fun it must be to take turns hitting each other.

Slow, painful combat. Even NWN's turn-based wasn't quite that painful.

DraQ

Arcane

Vaarna_Aarne said:
Argosy said:

Epic win.

Rhett Butler

Scholar
That said, after decades of RPGs that just try to emulate the pen and paper systems that they'll never be able to approach the appeal of, I have no interest in a game that uses the fact that it's trying to do just that as one of its main selling points. I'm just sick of that kind of game, and if I really wanted to play one then I'd rather have a ruleset played with friends and a human DM who drives the plot and gameplay than a generic clone of older games that depends on its writing more than anything else to appeal to people, has a lot of false choices that mostly just involve overly verbose ways of saying "[good guy response to quest]/[bad guy response to quest]/[refusal to accept quest]" with the long-term results for each being basically the same, and that plays like something that I've already been playing over the past decade.

This one doesn't really deserve to be with the rest of them, it's not the same level of stupidity. The point about CRPGs being inferior to PnP RPGs is just personal preference, and who can blame the guy for disbelieving you about having actual C&C? If I hadn't been following the game and didn't know who you are I would start by assuming you were full of it too.

Ion Flux

Savant
Project: Eternity

Argosy said:

Lulziness :lol:

Argosy said:
Third, roleplaying. Fallout 3 has more limited choices in terms of quests, motivations, and the like that determine the character. In AoD, you are(supposedly) more free to act in whichever way suits your particular style. And last time I checked, roleplaying is about playing a role.

In Fallout 3, you're playing the role of a guy who wants to search for his father and has a penchant for violence over diplomacy. In AoD, you're a guy who does whatever the hell he wants. What kind of role is that? An over-broad one. It's supposed to be roleplaying, people, not rolemaking.
This man is a genius. Kodexers rejoice, the RPG Messiah has arrived.

09/08/08

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
Vault Dweller said:
http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/index.php?topic=471.0

One may think it's just some uninspired trolls, but then you click-the-link and everything is clear. TESF - the most stupid stupid people.

Unradscorpion

Arbiter

I think we had lulzier posts than this, it has some good lines, but Codex has seen better.

Mareus

Magister
I was sure the guy was just joking. I still have a hard time believing he is serious about all the crap he wrote, but then again this level of retardation maybe broke my sarcas-o-meter.

I mean, this is a whole new level of retardation to which I am not used.
:shrugs:

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex

DraQ said:
Vaarna_Aarne said:
Argosy said:

Epic win.

Epic internet meme no, where is the actual guy that thinks FO3 is better than AoD, this is just boring

St. Toxic

Arcane
If you move, the consequence is that you're standing somewhere else.

bird.gif

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom