Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News Tim Cain joins Obsidian full-time

GreyViper

Prophet
All we need is for Brian Fargo to join the group and we have a "troika" again. Other then that good news.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I'll be looking forward to that first person, real-time Arcanum sequel with dialogue wheels and romanceable party members now.

First poster with realistic expectations award goes to: YOU! Congrats.:obviously:

Yeah, but wasn't the Arcanum sequel planned to be a FPP game anyway? It was called something like Journey to the Centre of Arcanum. I guess it was planned as a FPP dungeon crawler or something. Plus the original Arcanum had some romanceable party members anyway.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
He was on contract, he was planning to work with another company in a few months, then changed his mind & decided to stay. :)
And he'll regret it for the rest of his life.

MCA

Troika also means a carriage driven by 3 horses and that is the meaning it was used in. Sorry to break your faggy fantasies.

That's why Troika logo is reminiscent of Soviet era propaganda posters.

Troika_Games_logo.png

That's some carriage with horses.

R00FLES!

Ultimately, it's pointless to argue. Etymologically, the word has connotations of three elements coming together, regardless of its current meaning in any language and that's all that matters.

Jedi Exile

Arcanum
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong
In modern russian the word "troika" means "three" and nothing else. There were three of them, remember? Tim Cain, Leon Boyarsky and Jason Anderson.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
In modern russian the word "troika" means "three" and nothing else. There were three of them, remember? Tim Cain, Leon Boyarsky and Jason Anderson.
Don't be so silly with your straight conspiracy theories.

LAubt.jpg

Mozgoëbstvo

Learned
I'll be looking forward to that first person, real-time Arcanum sequel with dialogue wheels and romanceable party members now.

First poster with realistic expectations award goes to: YOU! Congrats.:obviously:

Yeah, but wasn't the Arcanum sequel planned to be a FPP game anyway? It was called something like Journey to the Centre of Arcanum. I guess it was planned as a FPP dungeon crawler or something. Plus the original Arcanum had some romanceable party members anyway.

My horror focuses on first person and dialogue wheel. I'm not against romance per se in videogames, I'm against it when it is either written retardedly or when it's everything a game and its fandom revolve about (today's biowhorism).

Hobo Elf

Arcane

My horror focuses on first person and dialogue wheel. I'm not against romance per se in videogames, I'm against it when it is either written retardedly or when it's everything a game and its fandom revolve about (today's biowhorism).

Just cut the bullshit and say you're against Bioware's crappy wriiting. We would've come to an understanding much faster that way. And what's wrong with FPP?

VonVentrue

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Now that's downright excellent. Obsidian, kindly kickstart that isometric turn-based cRPG you've recently been asked to make already...

Wasteland being made...Cain rejoining the crew full time...what next?

Cain, Boyarsky and Anderson re-founding Troika.
... I think I've just shed a tear.

Mozgoëbstvo

Learned

Just cut the bullshit and say you're against Bioware's crappy wriiting. We would've come to an understanding much faster that way. And what's wrong with FPP?

It's... well... it gives a totally different feel and playstyle from iso?

My taste goes towards isometric and TB. But if someone likes FP, my argument is void. Plus, how many FP sequels of TB iso before we say "enough"?

My answer would be "one is too much already", but then X-com was "revived" (cannot put enough quotes around it).

But as a saying goes, disregard that, I suck cocks.

Hobo Elf

Arcane

My taste goes towards isometric and TB. But if someone likes FP, my argument is void. Plus, how many FP sequels of TB iso before we say "enough"?

My answer would be "one is too much already", but then X-com was "revived" (cannot put enough quotes around it).

Meh, I guess I just like FPP more for immershurrn. Iso never sat well in my eyes. It works for some games, and for others it doesn't. For example I prefer to do my dungeon crawling from a FPP view because then it's like I'm "really inside the game!". As for your probalo with games being revived as FPS games, sure it's kind of annoying when everything is the same, but I think it's more annoying that the games will be awful. If it was a good game in a FPP view then it wouldn't be so bad.

Papa Môlé

Arcane

Meh, I guess I just like FPP more for immershurrn. Iso never sat well in my eyes. It works for some games, and for others it doesn't. For example I prefer to do my dungeon crawling from a FPP view because then it's like I'm "really inside the game!". As for your probalo with games being revived as FPS games, sure it's kind of annoying when everything is the same, but I think it's more annoying that the games will be awful. If it was a good game in a FPP view then it wouldn't be so bad.

First person is (usually) bad precisely because of that "immershurrn". First person overwhelmingly tends to lower players' acceptance of game mechanic abstractions, which are the crux of character skill and hence central to RPGs. A perfect example of this is in Morrowind where everyone whined that when it looked like they physically hit their enemy with their twitchy skills it still didn't register as a hit because, like a proper RPG, there was a to-hit roll based on your weapon skill. Thus, they removed it. A lot of the complaining about stealth in the other thread is the same.

"Crouch to sneak" ruins suspension of disbelief more in first-person whereas in isometric you can you that old-fashioned thing we all used to use, imagination, to simply imagine the character creeping around in a more complex way because your perspective is, wait for it, more distanced from the character. You're not necessarily seeing as he sees, you are more like an avatar floating above him (or especially, them) in some metaphysical space. Now sure, there are first person perspectives where this isn't so bad, like the old dungeon crawler first person, but I think we all know that won't be the type of game that's getting made if in FP. It will be first person the same reason VtMB was, for grafucks and action-twitch combat.

Hieromancer

Educated
I just don't like first-person because it makes legitimate party-based RPGan largely impossible and takes away most strategy beyond circle strafe enemy while attacking to win. I'm going to proceed to blubber over the loss of party-based RPGs now, don't mind me.

MCA
First person is (usually) bad precisely because of that "immershurrn". First person overwhelmingly tends to lower players' acceptance of game mechanic abstractions, which are the crux of character skill and hence central to RPGs. A perfect example of this is in Morrowind where everyone whined that when it looked like they physically hit their enemy with their twitchy skills it still didn't register as a hit because, like a proper RPG, there was a to-hit roll based on your weapon skill.

Bad example. Unlike a proper RPG, Morrowind didn't provide visual feedback, which was quite fucking easy to do, that was the real problem.

"Crouch to sneak" ruins suspension of disbelief more in first-person whereas in isometric you can you that old-fashioned thing we all used to use, imagination, to simply imagine the character creeping around in a more complex way because your perspective is, wait for it, more distanced from the character. You're not necessarily seeing as he sees, you are more like an avatar floating above him (or especially, them) in some metaphysical space. Now sure, there are first person perspectives where this isn't so bad, like the old dungeon crawler first person, but I think we all know that won't be the type of game that's getting made if in FP. It will be first person the same reason VtMB was, for grafucks and action-twitch combat.

There are far worse examples as good reasons. That one wasn't convincing either.

Like environmental feedback /awareness that depends on character stats to detect. It will always be weird if you suddenly pop (or fade in/out) a bunch of shit into view in first person because PC was unable to spot/detect them until then. That isn't a problem from a more detached view. Or being able to spot details on NPCs. You can simply click on an NPC to provide (or omit) tons of details. In first person, it becomes tricker. You have to very actively disconnect the player's IMMERSHUN! from actual data or settle for lame shit, if not abandon the practice entirely.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom