Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Titan: Blizzard's cancelled MMO.

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
Codex 2012 Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014
guise
guise
hey guise
guise

do you remember when blizzard was good?

They still are, Diablo 3, Starcraft 2, Wrath of the Lich king, Mist of Panda, and soon we can add Titan as well which will be so damn good they can charge us $65 instead.
but diablo 3 was shit, sc2 was mediocre and everything after burning crusade went from meh to disgusting, so...

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Man, I have so many great memories of playing Starcraft and Warcraft 3 with friends at LAN parties. That and D&D were basically all we did in high school. Yeah, I miss classic Blizzard.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
I miss Blizzard North.
Fuck those losers.

jayw-diablomlp-kotaku-blizzcon2008.jpg

Dr Tomo

Learned

Psquit

Arcane
Well wow can be fun when the other choices are silkroad or the others...

I had spend hours in silkroad killing white tigers... i remember finishing the quest kill 100 tigers then i get another quest that was doing the same shit i did already but instead of regular tigers i had to kill the white ones...

I had a great time doing dungeons and shit in wow... While in silkroad i was killing fucking tigers...

Last edited:

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
7 years spent on nothing. Hilarious. I like how they question whether or not they're an MMO company. That's where uh... 75% or more of their money is made. As for WC4? Don't hold your breath. That IP will be tied up in MMO format for the rest of our lives. Hearthstone and derivative casual titles don't count.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
guise
guise
hey guise
guise

do you remember when blizzard was good?

They still are, Diablo 3, Starcraft 2, Wrath of the Lich king, Mist of Panda, and soon we can add Titan as well which will be so damn good they can charge us $65 instead.
but diablo 3 was shit, sc2 was mediocre and everything after burning crusade went from meh to disgusting, so...

Diablo 3 isn't shit anymore.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Man, I have so many great memories of playing Starcraft and Warcraft 3 with friends at LAN parties. That and D&D were basically all we did in high school. Yeah, I miss classic Blizzard.

Warcraft 3 runs very well on modern machines and still looks good, so at least there's that.

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I haven't read this thread (or anything about this game in a long time, but here is my uninformed speculation. I think the way this MMO development went after a while was anything new and cool the development team came up with for Titan ended up getting implemented into World of Warcraft instead.

and because the game was being marketed as Next Gen it had to remain in development until some new concept was made.. which then got put into WoW etc.

Zeriel

Arcane
Diablo 3 isn't shit anymore.

I'd argue it's still pretty shit, and that's coming from someone who put over a thousand hours into the original (i.e, non-fixed) version. Blizzard has made some minor concessions to its fans, but the game is still a monolithic pile of bad design decisions that will never be fixed until the next actual game, not expansion... and that's assuming they want to fix them, a lot of the problems are just side-effects of making the most money possible.

Well, WoW has indirectly fucked over the MMO genre (their success turned most other MMOs into WoW clones which then lost to WoW anyway), so I guess it's kinda fitting that their own MMO effort went nowhere. I would be very curious to know what kind of ideas they had for Titan, but based on the direction WoW has gone since it's launch, it's really hard to see Titan NOT being designed to grab the largest possible audience of casuals.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
They'll just continue to copy other successful games/genres. Since this in canceled for good they either upgrade WoW into Minecraft or they'll come up something like Minecraft-Starcraft hybrid.

I'm completely OK for Warcraft1/2 HD remakes.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Next game Blizzard puts out will be another casual one a la Hearthstone.

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Wrath
That's hilarious! I don't believe anything of value was lost, though - I don't think today's Blizzard is capable of making good games any longer. Successful games, sure, but nothing I'd personally enjoy.

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
Codex 2012 Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014
I haven't read this thread (or anything about this game in a long time, but here is my uninformed speculation. I think the way this MMO development went after a while was anything new and cool the development team came up with for Titan ended up getting implemented into World of Warcraft instead.

and because the game was being marketed as Next Gen it had to remain in development until some new concept was made.. which then got put into WoW etc.

close that parenthesis or i'll find you and murder you

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam

I'm not, but i wouldn't mind a digital version of the originals that works well on modern systems. Still can't believe they never offered Diablo 1 and Warcraft 2 in their digital store. That would be like Bioware selling their games except for Baldur's Gate.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity

I'm not, but i wouldn't mind a digital version of the originals that works well on modern systems. Still can't believe they never offered Diablo 1 and Warcraft 2 in their digital store. That would be like Bioware selling their games except for Baldur's Gate.
There's always Enhanced Edition.

Alfgart

Augur
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
A bit of info about the game (source: Shitaku)

So what was Titan? For starters, according to three people I spoke with, it would have taken place on a near-future version of Earth, in a science-fiction depiction of the world where mankind has successfully fought off an alien invasion. Players would join one of three factions waging a cold war over control of the planet, and zones planned for the game ranged from the west coast of the United States to Europe, South America, and Australia, according to a source. Blizzard's plan was to make the game world huge, and to keep adding areas with expansions in the years after launch.

The main concept was this: you, the player, would maintain a mundane job—butchering, engineering, entrepreneurship—during the day, while waging clandestine warfare against opposing factions at night (or between work hours).

One potential scenario, described to me by a person who saw the game, might have gone something like this: You're working for a corporation, helping run a shop, when you're called for a mission by your faction, so you run into an elevator, switch outfits superhero-style, and go off to fight enemies with a group of friends or allies. Or you can just ignore the combat and keep doing your job, which could mean anything from tinkering with vehicles as a mechanic to running your own business as an entrepreneur.

Sounds boring, no wonder it was cancelled

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
A bit of info about the game (source: Shitaku)

So what was Titan? For starters, according to three people I spoke with, it would have taken place on a near-future version of Earth, in a science-fiction depiction of the world where mankind has successfully fought off an alien invasion. Players would join one of three factions waging a cold war over control of the planet, and zones planned for the game ranged from the west coast of the United States to Europe, South America, and Australia, according to a source. Blizzard's plan was to make the game world huge, and to keep adding areas with expansions in the years after launch.

The main concept was this: you, the player, would maintain a mundane job—butchering, engineering, entrepreneurship—during the day, while waging clandestine warfare against opposing factions at night (or between work hours).

One potential scenario, described to me by a person who saw the game, might have gone something like this: You're working for a corporation, helping run a shop, when you're called for a mission by your faction, so you run into an elevator, switch outfits superhero-style, and go off to fight enemies with a group of friends or allies. Or you can just ignore the combat and keep doing your job, which could mean anything from tinkering with vehicles as a mechanic to running your own business as an entrepreneur.

Sounds boring, no wonder it was cancelled

Why the fuck would I play a game doing something that I could get paid to do in real life?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom