Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

"Top 10 game music of all time" - Derp-free list

deus101

Never LET ME into a tattoo parlor!
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
NO FASTWAY.MIDI!
NO AMIGA MODULES!

NO C64 GAMES!

SOMEONE NEEDS A RAPING!

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
*bump*

Right, as the GamerTNG guys promised, they've released some Top 10 lists by eras, and I had a listen to the 80s list.

The Derp is strong in this one.

2 tracks from the C-64, 1 from the Gameboy and 7 tracks from the NES. Biased much?

Anyway, the list is:

10. Contra*
09. Punch-Out!
08. Last Ninja 2
07. Monty On The Run*
06. Final Fantasy
05. Tetris
04. Super Mario Bros*
03. Castlevania
02. Legend of Zelda
01. Megaman 2*

(The ones marked with an asterisk are the ones that I approve of, though not necessarily their placement. Megaman 2 deserves to be high up, though.)

So, even if the rules from their last list apply, they STILL put Tetris in there. At least now I can write off the so-called "Derp-free list" as a fluke.

Even I can think of loads of better tunes to go on that list. Boulderdash, Arkanoid, Sanxion, Delta, Death Wish 3, Robocop (yes, the game adaptations of those films had special themes made just for them), Thing on a Spring, etc... in short, these guys need to take a long, hard look at what was going on music-wise on the home computers of the 80s.

I'm actually kinda looking forward to seeing how much Derp the 90s list will include. Star Control 2 will NOT be in there, even though it should, and Doom will probably be the only PC title in at number 2, though I wouldn't put it above them to try to squeeze in something from Half-Life.

EDIT: Out Run. That they overlooked that pretty much makes the whole list irrelevant. I'm sure Sega alone made at least two tunes worthy of being on that list.

So, any Banjo-Kazooie themes on these lists? Not a single bad music in that game.

http://youtu.be/lVYWpZANlqI

http://youtu.be/uiRmjKUvc4Q

http://youtu.be/OFmzz4vMiLY

SCO said:

This one is good too, for convenience. Requires Greasemonkey.

http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/7686

Script Summary:
Automatically adds embedded videos after links to pages like: glumbert, metacafe, google, yahoo, photobucket, youtube, myspace...(and many others) so you can view the video without opening a new page.

edit: Earthbound's New Age Retro Hippie's theme. Years later, still instantly recognizable.

Krraloth

Prophet
Patron
Wasteland 2
Destroid said:
had some pretty good music (mostly ambient) too, and had >2 hours of music in the beta, and they released more afterwards. A good thing to, you needed something to keep you going in that dismal game.

Dunno i never listened to the music in EvE Online. the only way I could stand playing was mining windowed while watching Stargate SG-1.

All right, some of the combat missions where not so bad, (waiting for the next Sg-1 season to finish download) especially while using long range artillery+drones but man, was it boring pretty much anything else?

Needless to say, I stopped playing when I finished the tv show.

DraQ

Arcane
Derp-free list
:hmmm:
False.

Darth Roxor said:
No Frank Klepacki detected.

Final evaluation: ++++suck
Neither there are Alexander Brandon and Michiel van den Bos, nor Mark Morgan, nor guys making music for Witcher, nor Kiril Pokrovsky nor any of about dozen other authors of soundtracks I consider truly memorable.

Oh, wait, there is Portal credits song, which was nice - *in the context*. Yay?
:decline:
Wolfus said:

Which version? I'm perverted enough to sometimes listen to old c64 sids, including T1&2 so I ask.

Tel Velothi

Cipher
It's shitty. It just is.

Where's Morrowind music? Divine Divinity? Super Meat Boy? ( :D )
Not counting all classics from NES and other great soundtracks.

On the other hand. List should be expanded to 200 places. You see "top 10" and you know it will be shit.

Also - theres no like 1st place or 2nd. That just can't be done like that. 200 places but not in meaning that 20th song is worse than 15th. Hope you know what I mean.

Ludo

Educated
I think Metroid Prime deserves a mention
inb4 console shit

I.C. Wiener

Educated
Ludo said:
I think Metroid Prime deserves a mention
inb4 console shit
I agree. About the Metroid Prime part. Its music is evocative and atmospheric, but can also be actively listened to.

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
The list is shit. Here's a youtube videos of my favorite songs that prove that. Scrap that. Find youtubes yourself.

Falksi

Arcane
The list is utter fucking dog wank. He's not even picked the best FF7 music.

No Morrowind, no DA:O Campfire or Lake Calenhad, Nier Grandma, Metal Gear Solid............

Derptalcularly Derp:killit:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom