Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Top Ten: GameStar mag hates/loves about DRAKENSANG

thesheeep said:
What? I was merely explaining where I got that information.
If I hadn't done this, the question would have been raised anyway, probably.

No, actually I think nobody would have given a shit.

Zakhal

Liturgist
Trash said:
It seems to be an incredibly popular study with the geek sort around here at the moment. I wonder how many will actually find work in that segment though.

Still, when I was 16 I would have loved such a study.

When I was young I always wanted to make games or somthing and I did make few text / graphical action games at first. 2 weeks into 3d engine course in uni I discovered doing games is the last thing I want to do in my life. Its much more fun to play them than actually make them. And there are easier and more profitable ways to make money than game development.

My biggest chance in gamedev was propably a fallout type mmo project in the uni but I was too busy with work and I simply couldnt get my interest back to game development.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So which university is best for studying that? And what exactly do you learn there? And how long does it take?

Micmu

Magister
20%: any computer science college, software engineering dept. (4 years)
80%: self-initiative

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Well, basically, what I think is:
From RPG design discussions and the stuff in the Project Monkey thread you can actually learn as much about game design as when you go study it. At least about theoretical game design. I wonder how you can spend those 4 years of study, if you don't take some additional programming courses.

And how the fuck would the exams look like?

Texas Red

Whiner
Didn't many designers got just noticed when they did QA? I think Avellone started out this way, though I could be wrong.

Better question: how would you enter the tabletop industry? What qualifications are required to design rules?

Badgermaster

Educated
Dark Individual said:
Didn't many designers got just noticed when they did QA? I think Avellone started out this way, though I could be wrong.

Better question: how would you enter the tabletop industry? What qualifications are required to design rules?

It's not difficult to design rules, really. To get an RPG company to hire you to do it, though - no idea what that takes.

However, it's pretty darn easy to self-publish a pen and paper RPG these days:

http://www.indiepressrevolution.com/

http://www.rpgnow.com

http://yourgamesnow.com/

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
kingcomrade said:
You have to know people in the company's management.

Hard and cruel as it seems, that's basically true.

So which university is best for studying that? And what exactly do you learn there? And how long does it take?

Well, I could give you some list of contents, but then again I would be attacked for acting up and whatnot ;)

The best university? I don't know, really. All I know is that the different universities/schools offer very different concepts of the study.
For example, Game Deisgn study (without studying other things like 3D Programming directly after it) here at the GA takes 1 year and is very practically oriented. At another university in Germany, the MDH, it takes 3 years, includes stuff like programming and is very theory oriented.
If you really want to make games, practical orientation makes more sense, IMHO...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom