Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Top Ten Retro PC Games

I think how those websites operate is, they post shitty articles which makes a lot people rage and visit the site. -> They get more clicks -> More $$$

Or short: All of you have been trolled. :smug:

Hoodoo

It gets passed around.
I remember thinking black and white was the coolest game back when i was a kid, throwing people across towns, boulder smashing the granaries, just generally putting the fear of god into everybody as the towns switched alliance over to you was fun and usually hilaroius. Dont think I ever got past 3rd island though lol.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
laclongquan said:
Fallout 1 is retro as fuck. I mean, we are talking about dos exe installation here. I dont like it but that doesnt mean F1 is unworthy to stand in a top10 retro game list.

And no Caesar3?

No Transport Tycoon?

No Railroad Tycoon II?

No Romance of THree Kingdom VI?

This list is so shitty.

This is the Top 10 Retro "brand name" games. No-name titles are not allowed, even if they're good.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
No Civilization? and none of you so-called elite mention it :rpgcodex:

Hobo Elf

Arcane
No <insert favorite game> on list? Shit sucks. :rpgcodex:

Seriously, it's just one guy and his opinion. If you want to make a Top 10 list, then you are free to go and do it. You can add all your favorite games and feel better about it. No need to bitch and moan when someone's favorite games don't happen to be the your favorite games.

relootz

Scholar
Dungeon Keeper is an absolute groundbreaking masterpiece. It's just not on lists because it has been forgotten!

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Hobo Elf said:
Seriously, it's just one guy and his opinion.
One girl you mean. That's right, she's a girl and she plays retro PC games, no cookinma here.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Hobo Elf said:
No <insert favorite game> on list? Shit sucks
Sorry, but if you make a so-called retro list and fail to mention THE game that EVERYONE was playing EVERYWHERE, all the time, at all hours of the day or night...

It's not about "favorite game". Actually the list definitely is, hence why it's so obviously lacking things that should be there and has KOTOR instead.

Destroid

Arcane
relootz said:
Dungeon Keeper is an absolute groundbreaking masterpiece. It's just not on lists because it has been forgotten!

Are there actually any games that have followed the Dungeon Keeper path? I can't think of any decent games that are much like it.

relootz

Scholar
Destroid said:
relootz said:

Are there actually any games that have followed the Dungeon Keeper path? I can't think of any decent games that are much like it.

Evil genius has some DK influences.

Quilty

Magister
Avonaeon said:
Unreal Tournament, for sure. The amount of mods and maps is mind-blowing.

:thumbsup:

Still play it today. The delicious mix of running, gunning and obscene amounts of tacky special effects makes it better than coke.

ZbojLamignat

Educated
relootz said:
Destroid said:
relootz said:

Evil genius has some DK influences.
Majesty is pretty much DK with roles reversed and is a really good game.

Ghost master is also similar an quite fun, good idea for a game too.

But none of them, including DK2 sadly, come close to DK, my third favourite game evar.

The list is pretty shit, as always.

As usual, shit professional game enthusiast is shit. Not his choices as much as his definition of "retro", which throws his credibility way out of whack.

Although I would like to see this done on the Codex in the same tradition as the Top Codex RPGs, excluding RPGs from the list of course

I would also be interested to see the resulting differences between a "Retro" Top 10 and a Top 10 of all time. We all know that most modern RPGs are pitiful but it would be interesting to see what people think of other genres and whether they think they have declined to the same degree (very unlikely)

Destroid

Arcane
Excommunicator said:
Although I would like to see this done on the Codex in the same tradition as the Top Codex RPGs, excluding RPGs from the list of course

Summon the snake!

npc54.gif

kris

Arcane
I don't think the chosen games was that bad as the title. Obviously the games could be right if they didn't call them "retro" games. Not really any game in that list should be called retro unless you are a teen.

Destroid said:
Excommunicator said:

Summon the snake!

npc54.gif

Is there some kind of ritual offering required? A freshly prepared.. oh I don't even want to say it. Those teeth look too sharp.. :o

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Just wave your dick around and pretend to french kiss a guy. That'll do it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom