Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Torment: Tides of Numenera Beta Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
The Last Days of Archopalasia was pretty predictable with its twists, but very entertaining nonetheless. I appreciate Evans's sense of humor, especially regarding himself.

Tony Evans is a jack-of-all-trades game designer, writer and producer. He has developed more RPG's than any sane person should. A partial list of his credits includes Knights of the Old Republic 2, Neverwinter Nights 2, and Dragon Age 2 (hey that's a lot of 2's). He's also very proud to have worked on Mask of the Betrayer, the last RPG that was anything at all like Torment. Oh, and it's totally Tony's fault that Storm of Zehir was so awesome (or awful, depending on who you talk to).

So far the Torment novellas are 4/4 with me. Will Lafferty clinch or break the winning streak?????????????

(I checked, and it's the shortest of all of them, so I'll have the answer soon enough)

Do they give any lore or insight into setting? Wondering if they are ideally read before playing.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Do they give any lore or insight into setting? Wondering if they are ideally read before playing.

Indigo involves M'ra Jolios, Gold specifically involves a character who will appear in ToN and the ruins of Ossiphagan, Silver involves Sagus Cliffs and the Bloom.

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
The Four Lessons of the Great Chilla as Told and Chronicled by the Manipulative Speck is definitely the weakest of the five

No kidding. I liked the urchin life stuff, interacting with the lagoon monster, talking to The Bloom and the little cut-ins from the narrator. But some major parts of this were terrible. It says the protagonist always wanted to be noteworthy, but it seems she's never made any moves towards that before the start of the story and then suddenly she's super keen for a ridiculously dangerous mission. Antagonists clumsily spout their motivations so they're crystal clear for the reader. And the main character feels like a very lazy/shallow interpretation of Silver from https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/inxile/torment-tides-of-numenera/posts/653368 .

I liked Blue a lot, probably my favourite of them all. But it's been awhile since I've read the others, I recall liking Gold but I can barely remember what happened now. I'd actually forgotten what each colour represented when reading it and figured from the story that it must have been love/compassion/selflessness or something. Still works though.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Antagonists clumsily spout their motivations so they're crystal clear for the reader.

I am somewhat impressed that she didn't make it utterly explicit that

part of her Faustian bargain with The Bloom involved the eventual sacrifice of herself and her brother, thus fulfilling their ghost-mother's prophecy

and making the Mary Sue-ism a bit more tolerable.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The Last Days of Archopalasia was pretty predictable with its twists, but very entertaining nonetheless. I appreciate Evans's sense of humor, especially regarding himself.

Read this today. Somebody liked the movie Zardoz!

Very nice, if a bit overlong, but why didn't he use a clone at the end

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite

I don't believe it was possible for the clones to fully form without the second part of the process. It's not like there were two otherguys running around.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

I don't believe it was possible for the clones to fully form without the second part of the process. It's not like there were two otherguys running around.

Maybe you missed the part where they killed his clone (by activating the second part of the process alone). I assumed it may have woken up if they hadn't.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Maybe you missed the part where they killed his clone (by activating the second part of the process alone). I assumed it may have woken up if they hadn't.

Consider: why did the newer, healthier version not wake up either before the old one or at the same time? I assumed it was just a vegetable.

Prime Junta

Care to elaborate? I am already wary of the game but this would make me wait until it's 90% off, or never buy/pirate.

The setting is kind of shit (except for the Bloom which is kind of cool). Read all about it here.

(Other than that, the writing in the beta is not bad though.)

hajro

Arbiter
Yeah, if they were going for psychedelic shit they should have read Moorcocks Dancers at the end of time, if they were going for the pure DyingEarth aesthetic Book of the new sun is the bible.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Care to elaborate? I am already wary of the game but this would make me wait until it's 90% off, or never buy/pirate.

The setting is kind of shit (except for the Bloom which is kind of cool). Read all about it here.

You can't out-vance Jack Vance. Accept no substitutes.

Didn't like the Dying Earth as a book, but his Demon Princes series is among my all-time favorites.

nikolokolus

Arcane

You can't out-vance Jack Vance. Accept no substitutes.

Didn't like the Dying Earth as a book, but his Demon Princes series is among my all-time favorites.
The Dying Earth is uneven because it's spread out over so many decades, but Cugel's Saga and Rhialto the Marvellous are pretty good yarns. Loved the Demon Princes and Lyonesse is my personal fave.

nikolokolus

Arcane
Cugel's Saga and Rhialto the Marvellous are pretty good yarns

I was disappointed when I finally got around to reading them last summer. Expected better given their status in the canon.
I guess it all depends on whether or not you like picaresque stories. For me Cugel's Saga is sort of like the fantasy version of Candide. I suppose either you like that kind of thing or you don't.

Fry

Arcane
Depends on play style. Even combat as easy as Tyranny's takes time, and TTON will have a lot fewer fights. Torment will have a lot more to read, but may clock in shorter than the average Tyranny play-though if you blow through the text.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom