Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Torment: Tides of Numenera Pre-Release Thread [ALPHA RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Rake

Arcane
Yeah, it does look good.

But I remember when footage of PoE came out everyone was going all ooh aah and have a look that at the reactions now. Same goes for SRR, the vid where Mitch and Jordan were showing the gameplay footage got everyone hyped and then when the actual game came out people were between "eh, good for what it is" and "it sucks".

So while it's promising, I'm not going to get mad and run into the streets naked just because of a couple minute clip.
Yes, that is my worry as well. But with the game's focus, crap gameplay/systems won't affect my enjoyment much, while in a game like PoE they will lessen the game noticably even for storyfags.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
So... for how long will the crowdfunding campaign on the main site still run?

I'm asking for... a friend, yes, a friend! ... who forgot to pledge! +M

Don't know, but you should pledge before October 16th to help hit the new stretch goal.

I just pledged 65 dollars.. What is the new stretch goal? I didn't see it on their site.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
we started off about ~150K away from it when they launched the site. That's if it included every paypal dollar since the KS ended.

It's 4.75M, we're at 4.6x something now

Probs covers 1x Environment artist + obamacare and the extra area design hours for the extra maps

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Very cool video. I kinda wish they had an UI attached outside the dialogs, but very good showcase nonetheless. The mood is spot on.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Dunno.... I kind of like the minimal UI during exploration. I'd like some more videos though. Prefereably of turn based combat :bounce:

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Yeah, it does look good.

But I remember when footage of PoE came out everyone was going all ooh aah and have a look that at the reactions now.
Yes, I find the revisionism itt to be hilarious.
PoE is still graphically "ooh" and "aah". Sadly, some of the design decisions - for some backers - have made the game very distant from the IE games it seeks to replicate.

The Kickstarter field is still open for a "Baldur's Gate 3."

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Yeah, it does look good.

But I remember when footage of PoE came out everyone was going all ooh aah and have a look that at the reactions now.
PoE is still graphically "ooh" and "aah". Sadly, some of the design decisions - for some backers - have made the game very distant from the IE games it seeks to replicate.

And for Arcanum 2

:excellent:

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Yeah, it does look good.

And for Arcanum 2

:excellent:
Dunno. PoE feels kinda Arcanum-y with it's chaotic RT combat and guns & sorcery :smug:

Cnaiur

Augur
I'm rubbing my nipples in our office kitchen, *that's* how excited I am.

If the final game will turn out to be as extensive/dense as PST I would be pleasantly surprised. I think InXile mentioned that Torment's budget would be roughly similar to PST's (inflation adjusted)?

Shevek

Arcane
This is leagues beyond what I was expecting. Though I really enjoy PoE's visuals, these are much more striking. It is not just the setting. The visuals show a much greater attention to detail, the animations also seem much stronger, the UI looks better, etc. The folks at Obsidian should take some notes.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
I'm rubbing my nipples in our office kitchen, *that's* how excited I am.

If the final game will turn out to be as extensive/dense as PST I would be pleasantly surprised. I think InXile mentioned that Torment's budget would be roughly similar to PST's (inflation adjusted)?

I would like to think that using the Unity Engine Obsidian built will be magnitudes less painful then the Infinity Engine.. but who knows. If they are showing videos like that almost a year before launch.. short of them going AWOL and shitting the bed.. this game should be pretty good.

Nothing can ruin this game.. Unless..

:balance:

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
That should be fine, budget-wise. I think game development is much more cost-efficient nowadays.

Sprout

Educated
I wonder how often the pledge count is updated on their site. I stare and stare yet nothing is happening :(

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
I wonder how often the pledge count is updated on their site. I stare and stare yet nothing is happening :(

Brother None said that pledges through paypal are imported through a manual process.. They do it weekly but it's not automated.. I think you are literally waiting on someone at InXile to hit the "Load Payments" red button on their desk.

Sprout

Educated

Brother None said that pledges through paypal are imported through a manual process.. They do it weekly but it's not automated.. I think you are literally waiting on someone at InXile to hit the "Load Payments" red button on their desk.
Thanks for clarifying that. Saves me some time from lurking thereabouts.

Duraframe300

Arcane
This is leagues beyond what I was expecting. Though I really enjoy PoE's visuals, these are much more striking. It is not just the setting. The visuals show a much greater attention to detail, the animations also seem much stronger, the UI looks better, etc. The folks at Obsidian should take some notes.

Thats the one thing that they didn't have (IMO).

Athelas

Arcane
This is leagues beyond what I was expecting. Though I really enjoy PoE's visuals, these are much more striking. It is not just the setting.
This is pre-alpha footage, so it's somewhat unfair (to T:Ton) to compare them to PoE's near-finished environments.

Can't say I agree though - PoE looks much better to me from a technical standpoint, while T:ToN seems to have the more visually interesting environments.

Cnaiur

Augur
Morgan's ambient music combined with the watercolor painting-esque backgrounds really succeeds in creating an otherworldly atmosphere. Really nice.

Jarakka

Learned

I wouldn't want to be a designer for a Kickstarter game such as TTON or PoE.

First you start figuring out why people love those IE-games and wonder what are the aspects backers want to have in this new, shiny kickstarter version. Nice 2.5D graphics, good writing and minimal, but effective voice-acting is a given. Then there's some talk about other content, someone gets butthurt about combat, the plot, setting, whatever, but you decide what you decide and eventually start working.

Some time later, you release some footage. People take it pretty well, it seems like you got the graphics, music and atmosphere right. It seems like there's renewed positivity about the game and noone brings up the previous things they felt iffy about with the game. It leaves a good taste in the backers' mouths and everyone forget the small squabbles they had 3-4 months ago.

So the hype is stewing for months as you give out bits and such about combat and quests and the rest and eventually the beta is released. People are ecstatic! It's going to be great! Remember the graphics? The atmosphere! The music, oh dear lord almighty, I can't see where to put in my betakey as I'm coming all over my screen! Oh please, just let me get to it, I can't take it anymore!

And then the reception is less than spectacular. 'I don't like how the UI is like and I don't care if you can place it how you want, it's supposed to be like this like it was in BG1!' 'I don't like inventory, the paperdolls aren't anything like in IE games!' 'The difficulty settings suck, why isn't the hardcore mode the default mode, this is bullshit!' Some people get out their pitchforks and run into the forums: 'They ruined it, it isn't anything like Planescape, it's a complete rip-off! Why can't they just make an IE-game the way people want?!'

As a dev you take a bottle of scotch and spend the night at your office wondering what the hell do these people want?

Well, Colin, the root of the problem is that people get excited over pretty much nothing when it's about games such as these that they're so emotionally invested in. They played PS:T about ten years ago and the nostalgia still lives on and sometimes not even because of the game itself, but because the memory of the game and how the gaming community views it.

TL: DR, Codex always jumps on the hypetrain when it comes to major Kickstarters and should take a chill pill once in a while. It's either heaven or hell, but nothing between.

Darkzone

Arcane
Jarakka
If i would be Steve Jobs, besides that i would be dead i would state that people don't know what they want unless you give it to them.
But you are right about the codex.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
After seeing how the gameplay of PoE beta turned out, im much more reticent about getting hyped for game by graphics alone.

And thats all thats almost all Torment has shown till now, pretty graphics... that being said, the dialogue snippets shown were much more impressive for me.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom