Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline TotalBiscuit: Have FPS gone backwards? (answer is yes)

P cool video. Also I just picked up the free version of shadow warrior, I have to admit that it took an hour or two of failing miserably at all levels in order to get rid of my popamole conditioning (I didn't realize that I had to press E on the keyholes in order to open doors :M), but it's p cool alright. He even showed me some secrets I missed.

zerotol

Arcane
Patron
While i agree with some point: old games were NOT that hard

You could run around with the basic no ammo weapon almost everywhere if you were fast.

There are great exploration games: example the Stalker games.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Whoa, a redone Shadow Warrior? Ballsy. That game was good, but overtly racist to the point where it kinda prohibited itself from being remembered in the brilliant light it deserved.

I still have the Shareware CD of the game :love:

Cassidy

Arcane
I wonder if the creator first video was intentionally doing an ironman...

Or if he didn't realize there aren't autosaves at checkpoints in Shadow Warrior.

For even with a "SAVE GAME" option being clearly visible, I wouldn't be surprised about someone missing it nowadays.

Specially someone from TB

:popamole:

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
While i agree with some point: old games were NOT that hard

You could run around with the basic no ammo weapon almost everywhere if you were fast.
True. On the other hand those games were kind of designed with ironman in mind, or at least that's how I initially played Doom, Duke 3D, Spear of Destiny etc. (eventually resorting to god mode in order to finally finish the damn games, naturally). Die on the fifth level and you'll lose all of the weapons you had got until that point, tough luck. That was partly because I had no clue you could save the game, and partly because it just felt like the right way to play. If you play those games like a modern shooter (save every five seconds, or even every five minutes) the challenge is lost pretty quickly.

Whoa, a redone Shadow Warrior? Ballsy.
Nope. They're not going to add anything that could be controversial.

Renegen

Arcane
Unrelated, but the free version of Shadow Warrior I downloaded on Steam has this shitty Dosbox launcher, how do I get the really nice launcher and post-processing that TB has in his video?

PlanHex

Arcane
Patron
Unrelated, but the free version of Shadow Warrior I downloaded on Steam has this shitty Dosbox launcher, how do I get the really nice launcher and post-processing that TB has in his video?

You buy it on Steam, I guess. Called Shadow Warrior Classic Redux.
Currently at -15%, but could get cheaper later in the summer sale.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
Eh, as far as the more mainstream youtube personalities go, TotalBiscuit is likely the most palatable. His audience is still composed of dumbfucks, but he tries to educate them at least a bit, and he's also a bro about promoting independent games - he did a thing for Larian during their KS campaign, for example.

In general, I much prefer people like TB or even Angry Joe to "real" games journalists. Which doesn't make me watch their videos of my own volition, but at least I CAN watch them without needing to vomit after 5 minutes, like it is with GameTrailers' videos for example.

Tolknaz

Augur
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Well, as far as youtube gaming personalities go, i'd say TB is quite tolerable. At least he doesn't try to be "angry" (and end up being a whiny bitch) like every other shmuck and their dog out there.

Coriolanus

Learned
He makes some good points.

The effort that went into level design was miles ahead of what it is today. Non-linearity in levels, multiple secrets per level - these things were taken for granted.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Seen that. Lots of pretentious bullshit in that video.
Shooters didn't go "backwards", they went sideways and became a different kind of crap.

Mazelike levels that in most shooters do not make any sense != good and well thought out level design.
Mazes in System Shock 2 let you tell that people do (did) live there. But in what he was playing it's more like random boxes slapped together.

Oh and generic Doom clones were shat on back in 90s just like people shit on subpar CoD clones today. Do you even remember liking many of those? And they died out exactly because people got tired of that crap.

Or can you say you have more playtime in an early/mid 90s shooter today than in modern shootbox like, say, BF3 or openworld shooters (that have boring level design)?

90s just had a different kind of shit but it smells just as bad. Modern shooters exist because YOU keep buying them.

circ

Arcane
Answer is no. It's like some people have never seen walls. Hello? Do you think real life soldiers stand out in the open like morans? No, they use walls too. LOLOL.

Psquit

Arcane
Answer is no. It's like some people have never seen walls. Hello? Do you think real life soldiers stand out in the open like morans? No, they use walls too. LOLOL.

They also use health regen and perks.

When you think skyway can't possibly decline more, he still manages to produce some word-vomit outdoing himself.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
You can't decline any lower than posting TB. This place is turning into IGN.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I don't have any objection with what he says in the video. Codex being an edgy bitch as usual. Of course, this is my first TB video so maybe he is a dumbfuck in general, but here he nailed many important points.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
I don't have any objection with what he says in the video. Codex being an edgy bitch as usual. Of course, this is my first TB video so maybe he is a dumbfuck in general, but here he nailed many important points.
Yeah I agree, it's typical TotalBiscuit and I know people are annoyed at him and his mannerisms, but honestly his opinion when it comes to this stuff are pretty spot-on. Can't get angry at him being more or less a spokesman for PC gamers and higher standards for games overall either. To be honest he's one of the few "journalists" out there who's more or less mainstream, yet is willing to just bash the hell out of big-budget games he thinks are bad.

Stonewolf

Augur
To be honest he's one of the few "journalists" out there who's more or less mainstream, yet is willing to just bash the hell out of big-budget games he thinks are bad.

Except when he posts a video where he says something against the hivemind of his 'mainstream and edgy' audience, which causes a shitstorm in comments and dislikes. Then he deletes that video and posts another one where he apologizes for the first one. Like this

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom