Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Transformers: War for Cybertron

L'ennui

Magister
The 2nd movie-based game was actually excellent multiplayer. All the single-digit IQ fans cried a lot because of the control scheme, which you had to spend all of 15 minutes getting used to, but then it felt so intuitive and organic that it made the gameplay a blast. Also, Starscream was just pure rape.

Luzur

Good Sir
i hated the new movies and will prob hate this too.

couldnt they go and fuck with power rangers or carebears or something instead of Transformers?

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Hey at least they still have Peter Cullen. I think if they just give more screen time and characterization to the Transformers and less to the humans the movies would be okay.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
L'ennui said:
The 2nd movie-based game was actually excellent multiplayer. All the single-digit IQ fans cried a lot because of the control scheme, which you had to spend all of 15 minutes getting used to, but then it felt so intuitive and organic that it made the gameplay a blast. Also, Starscream was just pure rape.
I just checked some Youtube vids and user reviews, and it does sound pretty good. Do people still play it though?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bq170Ahit2g&hd=1 Possibly the least rage-inducing "dev trailer" of all time.

L'ennui

Magister
Mangoose said:
L'ennui said:
I just checked some Youtube vids and user reviews, and it does sound pretty good. Do people still play it though?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bq170Ahit2g&hd=1 Possibly the least rage-inducing "dev trailer" of all time.

I don't know. The X-BAWX 1080 that had been given to me died at some point and I have about a thousand prioritized spendings to consider before buying a new console. Check the Gamespot forums for activity, that might give you an indication.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Okay I'm about to sleep, but general consensus is that it's most akin to an Unreal Tournament game, with transforming (and definite advantages to both robot and vehicle mode) and while being very class-based. I'll post more tomorrow.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Mangoose said:
Hey at least they still have Peter Cullen.

But no Frank Welker! I tried to sit through the first movie and it was pretty much as bad/stereotypical as I expected. I don't think I can bring myself to watch the second. Granted I only watched about three minutes of that gaming clip but it just looks like another generic shooter with pretty graphics.

Anyway, does it have Shockwave? He was the coolest transformer. Blatent rip off of Mr. Scott complete with Scottish accent who just sat around Cybertron operating the space bridge which was rarely used.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-ItfWY3xMQ

Destroid

Arcane
Shockwave gets a pretty prominant role in some of the dreamwave comics. I think he takes over the decepticons at one point.

(they are really really well drawn btw, I recommend them)

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Yeah, Soundwave is in it. From interviews they really emphasize that they crafted all the G1 details lovingly and nostalgicly, blah blah I don't really care but I guess you guys do.

Don't both to watch those videos now, might as well just check out player demo videos now.

The main difference between this game and other generic shooters is that you can transform into vehicle mode, which has advantages and is not a gimmick. That, and no regenning health and ammo.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Okay, debriefing...

Only 2/4 playable classes in the demo: Scout and Soldier. I'll go through the Scout first, and highlight general aspects of the game while doing so.

The Scout, as the trailers indicate, can turn invisible. But, you start out also being able to do a quick Dash. You can further more abilities, the other one in the demo being a fake item drop that stuns enemies. You can customize your layout to have two such special abilities, so you aren't even required to have Cloak.

Vehicle mode is very important. You are safe while Cloaked, but once you get out of it and are on cooldown, you are a low-health sitting duck in robot mode. So you turn into a sports car, where you are much faster and much more mobile, with the added bonus of a low profile. You also have a decent machine gun in sports car form, and can circle strafe enemies.

So, as a Scout, you're relegated to hit-and-run attacks or sniping (you can use a sniper rifle, yay). Your place is not on the front line... which is where the Soldier comes in. The Soldier has slightly under twice the health of a Scout, and can fit guns such as the typical assault rifle, shotgun, and/or minigun. As a Soldier, you get a melee whirlwind attack, which does a shit-load of damage, but makes you an easy target for 5 seconds to anyone that manages to get out of the way. You are also very, fucking, slow... So you turn into a tank, that is also slow, but can fire a massive cannon. You can also "boost" for short durations and thus move from place to place faster than in robot form. Again, you are low-profile, so in combination with the boosting, you are a much more evasive target than in robot form when you're trying to get away.

My main qualm with the demo is that I feel like the map is too small. There are 7 more maps in the full game, so hopefully at least one of them is a large and results in less frantic and more thoughtful gameplay.

Demo vid I found http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRzBTE1GacI

Edit: Oh yeah, multiplayer modes.

Team Deathmatch
Conquest (just like it sounds)
....were available in the demo.

Available in the full game are:
Some sort of CTF I think
Plant the bomb
Escalation, which is team vs horde of AI.

And the other 2 classes are support classes:
Leader. Think Optimus. He can throw up buffs and Shields, and turn into a truck.
Scientist. Combination of Starscream and Ratchet, I guess. He can support offensively or heal allies, and turn into a jet.

Luzur

Good Sir
ive just watched the second movie.

and its shit.

i was almost at tears with the franchise raping they did to my old heroes.

i had to skip those stupid parts with the dogs, mom going paranoid with weed brownies and the "hot girl robot ripped from terminator 3" stuff, and the human loveydovey scenes and just watch the robot fights.

Destroid

Arcane
Both the new movies were awful. The 2nd somehow even worse than the first.

The 80s movie is still awesome though.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
MetalCraze said:
Mangoose said:
For the past few months I've had a hard-on for Optimus Prime (I even re-watched the movies). As it's not a direct movie-game, it may actually be okay to play.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvMIsAxO ... h_response

Enemies just stand in one place while you also stand in one place and shoot them. It's terrible - console shooters are all the same.
What's so okay about it?
Well (A) it's the tutorial level (watch later in the video, around 6:00 to see a later level, where there is lots of movement), and (B) that wouldn't be the case in multiplayer.

Also, I'm buying it for the PC. Dunno how port-y it will be though.

Edit: Michael Bay just acknowledge the criticism of the second movie!

http://movies.yahoo.com/feature/movie-talk-transformers-fans-to-receive-a-shock.html said:
I'll take some of the criticism. It was very hard to put (the sequel) together that quickly after the writers' strike [of 2007-2008].
Well, kind of.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
IMG_2541.jpg

IMG_2543.jpg

IMG_2540.jpg

IMG_2542.jpg

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/981946-t ... n/55265972

I thought you guys might like to know. I sent Activision Support an email about this (I wanted to make sure Beenox, who did the RotF port, was nowhere near this game) and they said the PC port was handled in-house at High Moon Studios.

I think this is good news. I know this is HMS's first PC release (as far as I can tell), but I think they respect their own game enough not to just throw together a sloppy port. Here's hoping...

I know some of you fuckers want to play 3 player co-op... Or Escalation. Right? Right?

Ermm

Erudite
I am glad this is not connected to Michael Bay so called ''movies'' but is a preguel to cartoon show.

Nex

Cipher
Destroid said:
Both the new movies were awful. The 2nd somehow even worse than the first.

The 80s movie is still awesome though.

Too true. I must have watched the original movie so much even know the second generation autobots < first.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom