Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline True Thief 4 Dark Mod is released

nbohr1more

Novice
The Dark Mod 2.12 is out:

https://www.moddb.com/mods/the-dark-mod/news/the-dark-mod-212-is-here

With the new culling optimization, the last really heavy mission "Scroll of Remembrance" seems to be pretty tamed and should over over 30FPS for even the lowest-end players now ( at least in CPU bound scenarios, don't try to run it at 4K with High Quality Soft Shadows and 16xMSAA on an integrated GPU ).

Controls are smoother too with the new contextual frob to interact changes.

I plan on updating the article over the new few days.

If you have never played or haven't recently played "No Honor Among Thieves", "Alberic's Curse", or "Sir Talbot's Collateral" these have all been updated and polished during the 2.12 beta cycle so they are worth another play. Especially "No Honor Among Thieves" which now has Volumetric Light effects and has additional performance optimizations and LOD setting changes.. and subtitles too.
Final updates applied to the article. If anyone has a low-end PC and would like to try out the "Experimental Training Mission" at Moddb that would be of great assistance.

nbohr1more

Novice
Can those awful subtitles be disabled?
Yes, the Audio settings menu has the choice of "Off" , "Story" , "On". Story only renders subtitles for special dialogs whereas "On" makes a big mess and renders subtitles for every AI bark.

Losus4

Literate
@ nbohr1more

Whenever I try to run the DarkMod exe from my GPU control panel, the executable comes up as Netflix.... any idea why? I can 100% guarantee it's not actual Netflix as I've confirmed it to be the TDM exe, nor do I even have Netflix on my laptop as I've never used it, nor is it malware.

nbohr1more

Novice
@nbohr1more

Whenever I try to run the DarkMod exe from my GPU control panel, the executable comes up as Netflix.... any idea why? I can 100% guarantee it's not actual Netflix as I've confirmed it to be the TDM exe, nor do I even have Netflix on my laptop as I've never used it, nor is it malware.
Pretty strange? Maybe your "GPU Control Panel" is seeing the FFMPEG code in our project ( used for video briefings, etc ) and mistaking it for Netflix? Can you post a screen-shot of that?

Losus4

Literate
Sure, right at the top, I can guarantee this is TDM.exe, any idea how to fix? I can still run TDM but only via integrated card.

xRJ4cfM.png

nbohr1more

Novice
Uninstall drivers. Use "DDU" to fully clean remnants of drivers. Uninstall Netflix App. Install the latest Geforce Drivers. Configure your Darkmod profile in the drivers. Install Netflix.

Losus4

Literate
The 2.12 update really feels great, all movement mechanics feel a lot smoother, can't quite pinpoint any specific thing, it's just everything feels much more slick and well oiled, and my FPS is improved. Great work. I think this might the best update yet.

Can anything be done to minimize eye strain for readables and the objectives screen? For a game set mostly in darkness, opening any readable is like shining a torch repeatedly in your eyes and causes headaches after a while. Would it be possible to make readables dependant on in-game light sources, i.e. if you read a book in a dark room, then it will essentially be unreadable. Make the player either read it by a light source, or use their lantern. I know that sounds like an incredibly complex mechanic to incorporate, but opening any readable more than a few times causes eye strain.

This also applies for the objectives screen. Would it be possible to make the objectives key show you the main menu objectives screen, rather than the one that pops up in real time? The real-time objectives screen is incredibly bright while the one accessed from the main menu version is much more subdued and easier on the eyes.

nbohr1more

Novice
The 2.12 update really feels great, all movement mechanics feel a lot smoother, can't quite pinpoint any specific thing, it's just everything feels much more slick and well oiled, and my FPS is improved. Great work. I think this might the best update yet.

Can anything be done to minimize eye strain for readables and the objectives screen? For a game set mostly in darkness, opening any readable is like shining a torch repeatedly in your eyes and causes headaches after a while. Would it be possible to make readables dependant on in-game light sources, i.e. if you read a book in a dark room, then it will essentially be unreadable. Make the player either read it by a light source, or use their lantern. I know that sounds like an incredibly complex mechanic to incorporate, but opening any readable more than a few times causes eye strain.

This also applies for the objectives screen. Would it be possible to make the objectives key show you the main menu objectives screen, rather than the one that pops up in real time? The real-time objectives screen is incredibly bright while the one accessed from the main menu version is much more subdued and easier on the eyes.
Glad to hear things are improved!

There is an open ticket to create a way to change readable brightness:

https://bugs.thedarkmod.com/view.php?id=1744

Thread:

https://forums.thedarkmod.com/index...different-gammabrightness-for-uireadablesmaps

We should return to this now that 2.12 is out the door.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom