Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Try World of Warcraft Free

Chefe

Erudite
That's good for you.

I, however, have to share one T1 line with over 300 people.

Yay, now I get to watch it install.

Chefe

Erudite
I don't know... the install screen is pretty damn nice.

Naked_Lunch

Erudite
If you replace "install screen" with "gibbering penis beast" and "pretty damn nice" with "ripping apart my ribcage" then yes, I would have to agree.

Chefe

Erudite
It seems Blizzard wants my credit card number "to seamlessly keep me in the game after my free trial period ends, even though I can cancel."

I'm currently working on a way around that, so I can demo the game. My progress will be updated shortly.

Micmu

Magister
Chefe said:
It seems Blizzard wants my credit card number "to seamlessly keep me in the game after my free trial period ends, even though I can cancel."
I'm currently working on a way around that, so I can demo the game. My progress will be updated shortly.
And you didn't expect this to happen?
I wouldn't recommend you to fake the number, just delete this kiddie shit.

Chefe

Erudite
I guess I was naive. I thought Blizzard would be nice for once.

Anyways, I'm doing one of those private server things. You'd have to be some kind of an idiot to try getting away faking credit card numbers... and why the hell would I anyways? I've got my own. I just don't want to get tied up in a whole mess trying to cancel after 10 days (it's happened to me with magazines and AOL before).

I have quite the sneaking suspicion that nobody cares.

Leave my thread.

Chefe

Erudite
Well I got in the game, ran around a little, killed a few boars and snakes, then died.

There doesn't look like much to do.

Anyways, to play the game without giving Blizz your oh-so-precious credit card number, you should check out the private servers.

http://www.wowstatus.net/serverlist.php

You'll need the corresponding version number of the server to use it (duh). The version number that the download is on is 1.5.1, which extremely limits your options. You can download versions 1.7 and 1.8 from http://www.3dgamers.com (I got 1.8).

When you've got everything installed and updated, click on the server name you want, the two important things here are the ServerAddress and AccountSignup links. Open up the realmlist.wtf file in your World of Warcraft directory. Replace us.logon.worldofwarcraft.com with the server address listed under the server of your choice.

Now, click account signup and follow the steps.

And there you go.

Note, once you login with your username and password the game might update itself. In that case, the Realmlist file will be rest, and you have to go back and enter the server address again.

merry andrew

Erudite
I played the free trial thingy a month or two ago. If you already think WoW is lame, maybe don't play it because then it's just more depressing.

Sovard

Sovereign of CDS
Perhaps the biggest problem is the game solely depends on the acquisition of items. That's why it has been so successful. All the sneaky yellow bastards out east, and lurking ham beasts out west have a whole new hack and slash to get into. Leveling truly takes a backseat. The goal is usually to get high enough to meet an item's level requirement. So you are strong enough to get better items. Ad nauseam.

ZzzzzzZzz.

Chefe

Erudite
I was tasked to bring back two hides from some animal to the north. I guess all I do is run around and kill shit until I find one?
I'm goin' back in.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
WoW is fun to play for a little while. The Horde areas are really dumb, though. Then you realize that the game at level 50 is the same thing as the game at level 20, except a lot slower because there's less rewarding quests to do that high.

Chefe

Erudite
Well, I'm through. I don't find it fun at all. It's just so... boring. Fighting enemies is a pain, I just keep clicking until the damn thing stops so my guy can attack... on his own... with no input from me besides the initial click.

Pros:
- Nice art design (especially the trolls and tauren)
- Cool opening scene
- Classic World of Warcraft setting
- Jamaican-talking trolls

Cons:
- The gameplay
- The quests
- Having to set there and watch your guy hammer away at a low-level enemy for two minutes

theverybigslayer

Liturgist
Chefe said:

Thank you for the information, then I won't download it.

merry andrew

Erudite
Chefe said:
Pros:
- Nice art design (especially the trolls and tauren)
- Cool opening scene
- Classic World of Warcraft setting
- Jamaican-talking trolls

Cons:
- The gameplay
- The quests
- Having to set there and watch your guy hammer away at a low-level enemy for two minutes
Pretty much.

Astromarine

Erudite
I'm still having tremendous fun at WoW. I stopped playing for a few months, now I came back.

God forbid me to actually try to change some of these people's opinions, it's kinda useless at this site. But I do recommend the game, especially if it's your first MMORPG. It does a better job than most at actually hiding from you that the game systems are quite simplistic.

The quests are quite OK, though they don't seem to be at first. Usually after level 10, when you move to the second area, they start relating to each other, making each area work as a kind of long quest string with it's own storyline. I especially enjoy the Dwarf area quests, as they're a mix of fighting against Troggs, Dwarf Terrorists (Dark Iron) and archaeology Indiana Jones type shit. Being a Paladin, I also enjoy the anti-Undead stuff. Duskwood (human area for level 20-30) is one of the best areas in the game for quests, IMO. It really does feel like you're playing a story.

That's my advice to you if you want to make an honest effort to enjoy the game. Try to read all the quests, and "roleplay" a bit the interests of your character. Don't do stuff your char wouldn't do, try to find missions he'd enjoy. As you said, the setting is the best part of the game, so make it a bigger part of your enjoyment than the phat loot. I'm telling you it is possible.

As for boring combat: depends a bit on your class. I'd suggest a Rogue or a Shaman/Druid first. Rogue has a quite envolved combat system, and the Shamans and Druids, being hybrids, can work some offensive spells, switch to melee, do some healing, etc. Autoattack is not WoW's combat system.

I fully believe WoW is a good pastime. Just convince yourself that it isn't a great GAME, and work on enjoying yourself in spite of that. Other people help. The good guys will make the game fun, and the smacktards will make you scream at your monitor. They're both essential to a MMO, I think, or you'll just bore yourself to death.

Drakron

Arcane
WoW quest are not bad if you look at EQ quests but they do get old fast.

They had some good ideas, class quests for example would be a good way to make some classes not having to team since they are support classes (priest class is a example of that) but they pretty much simply stop after the start of the game and then we have several quest lines all over the place and there are no racial quest lines ... eventually you realize there is a plot but its all over the place and its not logical since there is nothing to connect it.

And yes, you end up having to create a network of contacts ... that is why I stop playing since its simply not my thing to create one and I played at "dead hours" time (were few people were playing) so I could rarely do anything.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom