Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

TSR's Star Frontiers New Genesis

RaggleFraggle

Ask me about VTM
Actually, no, I think copyright law should be reformed so that WotC loses the copyright and fans are free to preserve it and do new things with it. Making my own shit is just too time-consuming and I already have things I want to do

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Actually, no, I think copyright law should be reformed so that WotC loses the copyright and fans are free to preserve it and do new things with it. Making my own shit is just too time-consuming and I already have things I want to do

Or you can sail the seven seas. Up to you really.

I wish there was some kind of scifi equivalent to D&D that had a multitude of campaign settings exploring different takes on the scifi genre. WotC certainly has a ton of original scifi IPs they could mine for that kind of game. Star Frontiers, Gamma World, Bug Hunters, Kromosome, Galactos Barrier, Star*Drive, Dark•Matter, From the Dark Heart of Space, Agents of Psi, Mecha Crusade, GeneTech, etc… the sort of game that could support, right out of the box, concepts as outlandish as “cyborg jedi catgirls piloting giant robots that travel across time, space, and alternate universes to fight the Cthulhu mythos” just by combining rules from different settings. I’m sick and tired of the umpteenth generic “Middle Earth with furries and Starbucks baristas” that dominates the markets now.
Stars Without Number has rules to create your own universe with whatever you want in it. Give that a look.
Is it a toolkit game or is it married to a specific setting whose limitations you have to dance around or buy another book to replace with a different setting?

I wish there was some kind of scifi equivalent to D&D that had a multitude of campaign settings exploring different takes on the scifi genre. WotC certainly has a ton of original scifi IPs they could mine for that kind of game. Star Frontiers, Gamma World, Bug Hunters, Kromosome, Galactos Barrier, Star*Drive, Dark•Matter, From the Dark Heart of Space, Agents of Psi, Mecha Crusade, GeneTech, etc… the sort of game that could support, right out of the box, concepts as outlandish as “cyborg jedi catgirls piloting giant robots that travel across time, space, and alternate universes to fight the Cthulhu mythos” just by combining rules from different settings. I’m sick and tired of the umpteenth generic “Middle Earth with furries and Starbucks baristas” that dominates the markets now.
Stars Without Number has rules to create your own universe with whatever you want in it. Give that a look.
Is it a toolkit game or is it married to a specific setting whose limitations you have to dance around or buy another book to replace with a different setting?

Star Frontiers, Gamma World, Bug Hunters, Kromosome, Galactos Barrier, Star*Drive, Dark•Matter, From the Dark Heart of Space, Agents of Psi, Mecha Crusade, GeneTech, etc…
Bug Hunters, Kromosome, and Galactos Barrier were all part of TSR's ill-fated Amazing Engine line that had been intended to compete with GURPS. This line also included Metamorphosis Alpha to Omega, a new version of Metamorphosis Alpha, the first science-fiction RPG, published by TSR in 1976.
Yup. WotC owns these IPs and hasn't done anything with them other than post scanned copies onto DriveThruRPG. Which is something... except the Alternity line isn't preserved anymore since WotC took it down after their 2008 hissy fit over piracy and still haven't replaced it. They didn't even put up Star Frontiers PDFs until there was a licensing dispute. Fucking WotC.

Fuck WotC! Fuck all the corpos. They don't give a fuck about their old IPs. If you have the opportunity, patronize one of the retroclones or make your own thing instead.

Fun factoid: I suspect the artificers and shapers in Bug Hunters were inspired by the mechanists and shapers from the Schismatrix novel, and furthermore were a key inspiration for the stoneburners and glassmakers from the later Star*Drive
Stars Without Numbers is a B/X derived OSR ruleset with a lot of tables for making your own setting as granularly or macro as possible. From Tech levels, individual towns, planets, sectors and so on. A lot like Traveller but with less baked in assumptions about Tech Level. You want crazy anime mechs? Go ahead. Feuding clans? Yes. Jedi and magic? All right. What ever you want really.

It also has a fantasy version. Worlds Wirhout Numbers. Same sort of tables but for fantasy.

RaggleFraggle

Ask me about VTM

Why? What am I going to do with low quality pirated pdfs? Read them again for a nostalgia hit? Play the game? With who? Random guys who lurk on the perpetually declining and eye-searing fansite forum?

I’m more interested in the idea of the setting. I bought all the licensed novels on Ebay. They have plots as diverse as psychic pickpockets living on the streets, gridrunners ferrying dangerous cargo on the galactic internet, space marines investigating alien ruins, people with terminal diseases living out the rest of their lives in VR... The setting isn’t going to win awards for originality what with being a pastiche of scifi tropes, but strangely I haven’t found any comparable settings that scratch the same itch unless they’re 4X games and those are… honestly I find anything except Alpha Centauri boring and uninteresting no matter how silly it gets sometimes. I’ve long since found Star Wars and Star Trek boring and exhausted, but Star*Drive somehow seems fresh and original to me despite being two decades old now. Probably because the scifi genre hasn’t made any advancements since it was published, go figure.

Same for all the other abandonware. I’m more interested in seeing what creative people could do with it. So the high seas don’t offer any value to me at all. The high sea is completely useless at actually making fictional works relevant.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck

Why? What am I going to do with low quality pirated pdfs? Read them again for a nostalgia hit? Play the game? With who? Random guys who lurk on the perpetually declining and eye-searing fansite forum?

I’m more interested in the idea of the setting. I bought all the licensed novels on Ebay. They have plots as diverse as psychic pickpockets living on the streets, gridrunners ferrying dangerous cargo on the galactic internet, space marines investigating alien ruins, people with terminal diseases living out the rest of their lives in VR... The setting isn’t going to win awards for originality what with being a pastiche of scifi tropes, but strangely I haven’t found any comparable settings that scratch the same itch unless they’re 4X games and those are… honestly I find anything except Alpha Centauri boring and uninteresting no matter how silly it gets sometimes. I’ve long since found Star Wars and Star Trek boring and exhausted, but Star*Drive somehow seems fresh and original to me despite being two decades old now. Probably because the scifi genre hasn’t made any advancements since it was published, go figure.

Same for all the other abandonware. I’m more interested in seeing what creative people could do with it. So the high seas don’t offer any value to me at all. The high sea is completely useless at actually making fictional works relevant.

I'm looking at the pdfs and they're high quality scans. Have you been asleep for the past 20 years because the quality has gone up.

RaggleFraggle

Ask me about VTM
In any case, WotC lost the trademark to Star Frontiers decades ago and only put up the scans in response to NuTSR. They did nothing when Sasquatch LLC snatched the Alternity trademark, which genuinely tricked a lot of people into thinking they owned the copyright when they didn’t. (Also, Sasquatch appears to have cancelled their Alternity game and gone out of business, so…) What WotC is doing now is pure trolling. Putting shitty scans of books from the 1980s shouldn’t count towards maintaining trademark, especially not when it’s clearly already expired when they do it. Tough shit, Wizards of Shit. NuTSR may be racist fuckwits, but they got the trademark fair and square.

Oh, and the judge apparently asks for pronouns. I imagine the judge will rule in favor of WotC purely on personal preference. Which will set a dangerous precedent for trademark law because 1) it allows you to steal a trademark you let lapse for decades from someone else now using it, and 2) it lets the existence of ebooks (or streaming or whatever) count towards perpetual trademark maintenance. Basically, if you release an ebook or streaming show, that ruling would let you maintain the trademark indefinitely even if you ignore the IP for centuries. Which is clearly not how trademark law was intended to work.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
In any case, WotC lost the trademark to Star Frontiers decades ago and only put up the scans in response to NuTSR. They did nothing when Sasquatch LLC snatched the Alternity trademark, which genuinely tricked a lot of people into thinking they owned the copyright when they didn’t. (Also, Sasquatch appears to have cancelled their Alternity game and gone out of business, so…) What WotC is doing now is pure trolling. Putting shitty scans of books from the 1980s shouldn’t count towards maintaining trademark, especially not when it’s clearly already expired when they do it. Tough shit, Wizards of Shit. NuTSR may be racist fuckwits, but they got the trademark fair and square.

Oh, and the judge apparently asks for pronouns. I imagine the judge will rule in favor of WotC purely on personal preference. Which will set a dangerous precedent for trademark law because 1) it allows you to steal a trademark you let lapse for decades from someone else now using it, and 2) it lets the existence of ebooks (or streaming or whatever) count towards perpetual trademark maintenance. Basically, if you release an ebook or streaming show, that ruling would let you maintain the trademark indefinitely even if you ignore the IP for centuries. Which is clearly not how trademark law was intended to work.

Nobody is disputing anything you've said. I only replied to you to help you find the pdfs for Alternity, a game I didn't even play. You then went off your rocker onto a tangent claiming that all the scans are poor quality when they aren't. I seriously think you've lost the plot here.

If Nu TSR were actual racists that would at least be better than being bland and coasting off of nostalga like they are now.

RaggleFraggle

Ask me about VTM

If Nu TSR were actual racists that would at least be better than being bland and coasting off of nostalga like they are now.
Yeah. Aside from the racism, they're engaging in exactly the bad behavior that trademark law was intended to prevent: pretending to own someone else's IP in order to trick consumers. At least FrontierSpace doesn't pretend to do that (altho in my opinion I think FS plays it too safe when they could easily implement expies of the various TSR races by changing the details since they all run on scifi tropes anyhow). Sasquatch ran afoul of this when they used the Alternity trademark to market their modified retroclone, which pissed off a lot of Alternity fans who thought the original settings were coming back but were pissed when Sasquatch obeyed copyright law (not that it matters now since the line was apparently cancelled and Sasquatch is MIA).

Even the bright side of forcing WotC to start preserving Star Frontiers again after their 2008 hissy fit where they took all their PDFs off Drivethru/RPGNow is undercut by the fact that they're selling shitty scans when that one fansite was hosting remade PDFs for free.

Copyright law needs to be reformed. Right now it's detrimental to preserving orphaned works. If WotC doesn't want to use their own IPs, then they should lose their copyright so that the fans of these IPs can be free to preserve, share, and remix them.

Also, can indie devs please stop using Creative Commons licenses that they clearly don't understand? The OGL is much better at accomplishing the intended purpose. E.g. FrontierSpace uses CC BY-NC-SA 3.0, which means that fans who publish their own material for it are not allowed to sell that material on drivethrurpg because of the "Noncommercial" part.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck

Yeah. Aside from the racism, they're engaging in exactly the bad behavior that trademark law was intended to prevent: pretending to own someone else's IP in order to trick consumers. At least FrontierSpace doesn't pretend to do that (altho in my opinion I think FS plays it too safe when they could easily implement expies of the various TSR races by changing the details since they all run on scifi tropes anyhow). Sasquatch ran afoul of this when they used the Alternity trademark to market their modified retroclone, which pissed off a lot of Alternity fans who thought the original settings were coming back but were pissed when Sasquatch obeyed copyright law (not that it matters now since the line was apparently cancelled and Sasquatch is MIA).

Even the bright side of forcing WotC to start preserving Star Frontiers again after their 2008 hissy fit where they took all their PDFs off Drivethru/RPGNow is undercut by the fact that they're selling shitty scans when that one fansite was hosting remade PDFs for free.

Copyright law needs to be reformed. Right now it's detrimental to preserving orphaned works. If WotC doesn't want to use their own IPs, then they should lose their copyright so that the fans of these IPs can be free to preserve, share, and remix them.

Also, can indie devs please stop using Creative Commons licenses that they clearly don't understand? The OGL is much better at accomplishing the intended purpose. E.g. FrontierSpace uses CC BY-NC-SA 3.0, which means that fans who publish their own material for it are not allowed to sell that material on drivethrurpg because of the "Noncommercial" part.

Trademark law is there to protect distinct branding. Since the original Star Frontiers TM died it's now open for other people to use. Nothing illegal about it.

RE Copyright: Rules cannot be copyrighted, patented, or trademarked in the United States. The only thing that is copyrighted when it comes to RPGs is the unique expression of those rules. That's it. I can legally make a clone of AD&D with the AD&D name because Wizards of the Woke let the trademark die. What I can't do is use the old layout and expression of the rules. That's copyrighted. The mechanics etc... are free to use as is. That's why OSRIC, For Gold & Glory, etc... are able to sell their products. OGL plays zero role in this.

RE Alternity and Sasquatch: What they did is perfectly legal even considering that it's the same writers who wrote the original. Imagine being such a fag that you got pissed that the original authors updated the rules for a game they created and the name they picked.

RaggleFraggle

Ask me about VTM
Trademark law is there to protect distinct branding. Since the original Star Frontiers TM died it's now open for other people to use. Nothing illegal about it.
True, but nuTSR is specifically trying to trick fans of the original Star Frontiers into thinking it's a continuation with the same IP. Trademark law doesn't take into account that things like this could happen, because it was originally created back when copyright terms were around 14 years. Now we live in the era of abandonware, orphaned works, etc and fandoms for that. It's created the opportunity for essentially mockbusters, but with trademarks.

RE Alternity and Sasquatch: What they did is perfectly legal even considering that it's the same writers who wrote the original. Imagine being such a fag that you got pissed that the original authors updated the rules for a game they created and the name they picked.
People weren't pissed that the authors retrocloned their own game. They were pissed because they thought the settings for it, Star*Drive and Dark•Matter, were coming back. Unfortunately, the authors didn't have the rights to those settings. Not only that, but they cancelled the game before they produced any original settings for it and went MIA. Alternity fans have multiple reasons to be pissed off at them, even if they were working in good faith within their legal limitations.

I would really have liked to see second editions of those settings myself. The cover page of the first chapter of the Star*Drive setting book mentions floppy drives as state of the art tech. With how much information technology has advanced in the last two decades alone, the setting really needs a new edition to cleanup the stuff that now comes across as quaint, outdated, and just plain cringy. Dark•Matter is in even worse need of being updated because it was tied into 2012 apocalypse conspiracy theories and its 2022 now, plus the conspiracy theory landscape has completely changed compared to what it was in 1998.

But that's not gonna happen even if the original writers wanted to do it because WotC owns the copyright and refuses to do anything with it.

Nobody is disputing anything you've said. I only replied to you to help you find the pdfs for Alternity, a game I didn't even play. You then went off your rocker onto a tangent claiming that all the scans are poor quality when they aren't. I seriously think you've lost the plot here.
WotC refuses to preserve their own IPs and will sue anyone else trying to preserve those IPs. Telling me to "sail the high seas" is a bullshit kneejerk response that doesn't address any of the underlying problems. My PDFs are stored somewhere on old backup hardrives that I don't have the time or inclination to search through unless it's really important. The Trove and the Internet Archive have gotten DMCA'd many times and torrents are highly unreliable. Some products are just not pirated because they're so obscure and would have to be scanned manually from physical copies, producing a result inferior to the OEF PDFs previously sold on Drivethrurpg unless you go to even more exhausting effort of remastering the PDFs yourself like the Star Frontiers fansite did before WotC told them to take it down.

(e.g. the starship troopers rpg floorplans, which were never downloaded and pirated in the 15 or so years they were available on Drivethrurpg until Mongoose had to take them down because they lost the license with Sony; the Grim Tales books and web enhancements by Bad Axe Games, which the owner took down in 2008 because he was afraid WotC would sue him for selling books made under the then-cancelled d20 license, which isn't even valid but now they're gone forever; the Paizo website sells many issues of Dragon and Dungeon magazine in OEF PDF, but all the pirated copies of these issues are inferior quality scans; the Externals sourcebook for Star*Drive was released in an Shockwave and HTML version that was never preserved to my knowledge and had higher quality images than the PDF that came with it, I know because I bought when it was still available and to add insult to injury the download link doesn't exist even in my Drivethru library anymore, so there's that; the only pirated PDF of the Hogshead edition of Puppetland/PowerKill I could find is missing pages, so fuck you incompetent pirates and your shitty quality control! I could go on. )

Not the mention all the malware and risking a lawsuit. Physical copies on Ebay go for hundreds of dollars sometimes. It is extremely difficult to cultivate communities around these games due to their obscurity, age, difficulty to acquire, and the copyright holders actively harassing fan preservation efforts.

Piracy doesn't solve the problem. It's putting a band-aid on a severed head. We need to reform copyright law. I don't want to deal with all this corpo copyright bullshit anymore. I don't have room in my house to maintain a library of rare books I bought on Ebay that don't have readily available digital versions. I don't have the mental space to remember to save pirated PDFs that I'll look at maybe once and then forget about. I have already bought over a thousand books on Drivethrurpg, most of which I have never read, simply because I thought "hey, it's on sale, might be useful for research, and it's more convenient than piracy, so I should buy it!" and then immediately forgot about it.

At this point, I'm better off making my own thing.

Codex Year of the Donut
True, but nuTSR is specifically trying to trick fans of the original Star Frontiers into thinking it's a continuation with the same IP. Trademark law doesn't take into account that things like this could happen, because it was originally created back when copyright terms were around 14 years. Now we live in the era of abandonware, orphaned works, etc and fandoms for that. It's created the opportunity for essentially mockbusters, but with trademarks.
this is why IP laws are a complete joke
"nooo you don't have the right, you're tricking people into thinking you made the original!!! people who simply bought the brand should be the ones allowed to trick people into thinking they made the original!!!!"

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
True, but nuTSR is specifically trying to trick fans of the original Star Frontiers into thinking it's a continuation with the same IP.
I see nothing in the posts or the advertising of the new Star Frontiers that this is a continuation of the old setting. This is a customer problem not the author problem.
They were pissed because they thought the settings for it, Star*Drive and Dark•Matter, were coming back.
That's a customer problem. They should have read the materials and saw that there was no promise made for the settings. All it promised was the rules.
But that's not gonna happen even if the original writers wanted to do it because WotC owns the copyright and refuses to do anything with it.
It's their right. Just like it's your right to have four houses and only live in one. You could let the other three sit empty and not a thing can be done to force you to sell it.
WotC refuses to preserve their own IPs and will sue anyone else trying to preserve those IPs. Telling me to "sail the high seas" is a bullshit kneejerk response that doesn't address any of the underlying problems.
Yet, the high seas has the pdfs and I managed to get them quite easily. The thing about piracy is that you can't stop it.

The problem is that you're crying and throwing a temper tantrum over something we all have no control over. You're better off in expending your energy doing something productive.
Some products are just not pirated because they're so obscure and would have to be scanned manually from physical copies, producing a result inferior to the OEF PDFs
Again, the quality of the scans today are really good since the tech advanced far beyond what they were 20 years ago.
We need to reform copyright law.
I agree. We need to get it back to the old 20 years only then it goes into public domain.
I'm better off making my own thing.
Yes, you are. You can write up your own version of Star Frontiers using the exact rules in the old while calling it something different. Copyright only protects that unique expression of the rules. It does not protect the rules themselves.

RaggleFraggle

Ask me about VTM
Over on other forums people are saying that WotC still holds the trademark just because they're upset with nuTSR's bigotry, regardless of the fact that TSR already let it lapse after they stopped using it in 1985. Poisoning the well like this is so frustrating because it means you can't hold a civilized conversation about the fact that WotC never owned the trademark in the first place.

Also, some people are so mistaken about how trademark law works that they think nobody should be allowed to snatch a company's trademark in the event that said company went out of business and let the trademark lapse. The entire point of trademark law is that it doesn't last forever by itself, you have to actively maintain it.

If anybody is seriously arguing that you can maintain trademark forever just by posting a book to kindle and then forgetting about it... if that's actually what the law allows for (I'm not a lawyer, so I don't know if that logic works), then that's an awful loophole that needs to be closed. Trademark law was created back when maintaining trademarks cost actual money in the form of business expenses making the product that was trademarked (e.g. paying for print runs). Ebooks hosted by a third party retailer basically have no cost to maintain, besides hosting costs that aren't paid by the copyright holder. So if this is something legal, basically you could exploit this loophole to maintain a trademark forever without actually making products or spending money. You could die immediately after registering the trademark and the copyright could be orphaned, but the trademark would go on as an entity owned by nobody.

e.g. Google Books could trademark every imaginable trademark and then prevent anyone from using them ever again, simply by maintaining an archive of public domain books. Which I am pretty sure is not the intended purpose of trademark law. IP law is a fucking joke now. I'm hoping that the legal system will prevent this from becoming a problem, but who am I kidding?

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Over on other forums people are saying that WotC still holds the trademark just because they're upset with nuTSR's bigotry, regardless of the fact that TSR already let it lapse after they stopped using it in 1985. Poisoning the well like this is so frustrating because it means you can't hold a civilized conversation about the fact that WotC never owned the trademark in the first place.

Also, some people are so mistaken about how trademark law works that they think nobody should be allowed to snatch a company's trademark in the event that said company went out of business and let the trademark lapse. The entire point of trademark law is that it doesn't last forever by itself, you have to actively maintain it.

If anybody is seriously arguing that you can maintain trademark forever just by posting a book to kindle and then forgetting about it... if that's actually what the law allows for (I'm not a lawyer, so I don't know if that logic works), then that's an awful loophole that needs to be closed. Trademark law was created back when maintaining trademarks cost actual money in the form of business expenses making the product that was trademarked (e.g. paying for print runs). Ebooks hosted by a third party retailer basically have no cost to maintain, besides hosting costs that aren't paid by the copyright holder. So if this is something legal, basically you could exploit this loophole to maintain a trademark forever without actually making products or spending money. You could die immediately after registering the trademark and the copyright could be orphaned, but the trademark would go on as an entity owned by nobody.

e.g. Google Books could trademark every imaginable trademark and then prevent anyone from using them ever again, simply by maintaining an archive of public domain books. Which I am pretty sure is not the intended purpose of trademark law. IP law is a fucking joke now. I'm hoping that the legal system will prevent this from becoming a problem, but who am I kidding?

Those people are morons because you can go to the US Trademark office online and do a trademark search. Here's the one related to WotC.

Typed Drawing

Word Mark
STAR FRONTIERS
Goods and Services
(CANCELLED) IC 028. US 022. G & S: Equipment Sold as a Unit and Including a Rule Book, Printed Playing Aids, Counters and Dice for Playing Parlor Type Game. FIRST USE: 19820628. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 19820628
Mark Drawing Code
(1) TYPED DRAWING
Serial Number
Filing Date
September 14, 1982
Current Basis
1A
Original Filing Basis
1A
Published for Opposition
April 19, 1983
Registration Number
Registration Date
July 12, 1983
Owner
(REGISTRANT) TSR Hobbies, Inc. CORPORATION WISCONSIN 281 Sheridan Springs Rd. Lake Geneva WISCONSIN 53147
(LAST LISTED OWNER) TRS, INC. CORPORATION BY CHANGE OF NAME FROM WISCONSIN 201 SHERIDAN SPRING ROAD LAKE GENEVA WISCONSIN 53147
Assignment Recorded
ASSIGNMENT RECORDED
Attorney of Record
MARY L. WINBURN
Type of Mark
TRADEMARK
Register
PRINCIPAL
Affidavit Text
SECT 15. SECT 8 (6-YR).
Live/Dead Indicator
DEAD
Cancellation Date
April 17, 2004

As you can see the trademark was cancelled in 2004 after the Wizards of the Woke buying TSR. The only other trademarks on file are held by TSR LLC. It's now being disputed and I doubt a judge will side with WotC because they abandoned the trademark for 18 years.

RaggleFraggle

Ask me about VTM
As you can see the trademark was cancelled in 2004 after the Wizards of the Woke buying TSR. The only other trademarks on file are held by TSR LLC. It's now being disputed and I doubt a judge will side with WotC because they abandoned the trademark for 18 years.
WotC bought TSR in 1997, not 2004. WotC freely admits they let the trademarks lapse and claim they retained/reclaimed it through common law.

I despise nuTSR and don't want them to win because they're fucking bigots who are soiling the trademark. That said, I don't have sympathy for WotC because they're the ones who abandoned their own IP.

I do not believe that letting Drivethrurpg sell copies of books from the 1980s indefinitely should count toward maintaining WotC's trademark on Star Frontiers in perpetuity if they're just gonna let the IP gather dust anyway.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
WotC bought TSR in 1997, not 2004. WotC freely admits they let the trademarks lapse and claim they retained/reclaimed it through common law.

I despise nuTSR and don't want them to win because they're fucking bigots who are soiling the trademark. That said, I don't have sympathy for WotC because they're the ones who abandoned their own IP.

I do not believe that letting Drivethrurpg sell copies of books from the 1980s indefinitely should count toward maintaining WotC's trademark on Star Frontiers in perpetuity if they're just gonna let the IP gather dust anyway.

I didn't say that Wizards of the Woke bought TSR is 2004. I said that they let it be cancelled after buying TSR. I know when the sale happened. Jesus stop being so fucking pendantic.

I don't give a fuck about what you think of nuTSR. It is irrelevant.

Then you are a moron because by selling the books they are maintaining the trademark. However, the way the Star Frontiers naming works is that it's got a colon after Frontiers. The new one doesn't have that.

You should let people steal your stuff then since you're just letting it gather dust. That's the dumbest fucking argument I've ever heard.

Morblot

Aberrant Member | Star Trek V Apologist
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Stars Without Numbers is a B/X derived OSR ruleset with a lot of tables for making your own setting as granularly or macro as possible. From Tech levels, individual towns, planets, sectors and so on. A lot like Traveller but with less baked in assumptions about Tech Level. You want crazy shitty Japanese pornographic cartoons mechs? Go ahead. Feuding clans? Yes. Jedi and magic? All right. What ever you want really.

SWN is certainly toolboxy... but it's also quite married to its own lore what with Tiberius Crohn, the Mandate, the Scream, metaspace, spike drives, VIs, etc.; it's not particularly deep or detailed, but it's all over the book. Sure, you could rip all that out and supply your own lore, but if you're willing to do that, would it really be that much more work to just write your own game? Ymmv of course, but to me, SWN hits an unfortunate spot of simultaneously having too much lore for me to really make it feel like my own and too little lore for me to just take it, read it and run it. (I think the first edition did have an example sector you could use as-is, but sadly the revised edition I own doesn't.)

And yet, having written all that, it still is the best resource that I know of for mining ideas for scifi campaigns with its random generation tables for planets, people, ...

Morblot

Aberrant Member | Star Trek V Apologist
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
And let us not forget this gem...

d20-menance-d20-past-d20-future-d20_1_7f2be7e8deb5c2e700362176ea996ef3.jpg

I think I might even have this on my shelf or in a box in my basement or somewhere.

edit: Now that I think about it, doesn't this book also feature the alien races originally introduced in Star Frontiers? I can't check as I'm on a business trip right now.

Last edited:
Codex Year of the Donut
Anyone have a link verifying that nu-TSR actually published the supposed playtest material?
Feels far too on the nose and not very funny, like something a libtard would make while trying to think of what a nazi racist DRUMPF supporter would make

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
I can recommend Hero System Star Hero. It has everything you need to play in your favorite sci-fi universe. It covers pretty much every genre out there.

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I played the original Star Frontiers back in the day. It was very barebones, so it required a lot of prep from the game master. On the other hand, this also allowed for a lot of variety and craziness with the right participants. The basic story is that the Federation is just reaching into other star systems and has added an assortment of other races into its expanding territory. Some of these races are pretty neat, like these walking blobs (Drasalite?) or a race of monkey-like dudes with stretched skin underneath their arms that allows for flight (Yazarian?). Eventually the Federation runs into the Sathar, a race of walking worms with mental abilities that bribe and or mentally bend Federation members to do their bidding and try to tear the Federation apart from within. The setting had space combat, espionage, planetary exploration, and so on. The party could be military, a government science team sent for exploration, or mercenaries doing their own thing while working often with the Federation. Some really neat stuff. The second box set, the Knight Hawks, expanded space combat. My only complaint was that I thought the Federation could have had more systems described and more in depth.

I honestly have no idea about what nuTSR intends to do with the property, but I always felt that Star Frontiers had some potential.

RaggleFraggle

Ask me about VTM
I played the original Star Frontiers back in the day. It was very barebones, so it required a lot of prep from the game master. On the other hand, this also allowed for a lot of variety and craziness with the right participants. The basic story is that the Federation is just reaching into other star systems and has added an assortment of other races into its expanding territory. Some of these races are pretty neat, like these walking blobs (Drasalite?) or a race of monkey-like dudes with stretched skin underneath their arms that allows for flight (Yazarian?). Eventually the Federation runs into the Sathar, a race of walking worms with mental abilities that bribe and or mentally bend Federation members to do their bidding and try to tear the Federation apart from within. The setting had space combat, espionage, planetary exploration, and so on. The party could be military, a government science team sent for exploration, or mercenaries doing their own thing while working often with the Federation. Some really neat stuff. The second box set, the Knight Hawks, expanded space combat. My only complaint was that I thought the Federation could have had more systems described and more in depth.

I honestly have no idea about what nuTSR intends to do with the property, but I always felt that Star Frontiers had some potential.
Yup. This premise was more or less recycled for Star*Drive’s own frontier setting, which featured the klicks and other creatures instead of Sathar. The Federation was replaced by Concord, which was more like space NATO with a standing army. TSR had a habit of recycling ideas that way.

And let us not forget this gem...

View attachment 28419

I think I might even have this on my shelf or in a box in my basement or somewhere.

edit: Now that I think about it, doesn't this book also feature the alien races originally introduced in Star Frontiers? I can't check as I'm on a business trip right now.
Yup, it’s basically a greatest hits of almost all TSR’s old scifi IPs. It’s a pity WotC never did anything further with it. If they put the IPs on the GM’s Guild fan license then fans could make their own new editions without WotC lifting a finger.

I would absolutely adore a hybrid setting where the Star Frontiers and Galactos Barrier races could appear in the Star*Drive setting.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom