Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Two simple questions about Dragon Age

octavius

Arcane
Patron
1. Is the auto regeneration hard coded, or is it possible to turn off?

2. Does the game require online activation, like Mass Effect, to install?

Thanks in advance.

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
octavius said:

Thanks in advance.

1 Don't know for sure, but I think no.

2 No.

Norfleet

The autoregeneration is really a non-issue, because the fights are already all balanced for the idea that you WILL go into every fight with full health. There does not appear to be an online spyware component.

Grifthin

Educated
There's no Spyware component. IF you want you can register your game online then it uploads your game stats as you play IF you don't turn it off in the options menu.

There's only a disc check, no other protection.

I'm pretty sure health regen can be turned off, because some injuries prevent your health from regenerating. It's up to you and the toolset to do however.

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
Berekän said:
octavius said:

Thanks in advance.

1 Don't know for sure, but I think it's not hardcoded.

2 No.

EDIT: Fuck, I clicked the quote button, not Edit.

aries202

Erudite
There's no online activation whatsoever in this game at all. However, you'll need to register your game at the social site Bioware created for this game, if you want to redeem (use) the DLC you'll get with this game. Some people seem to have problems playing offline i.e. loading saved games which contains dlc when they're offline.

There's a hardcore mod 1.0 out; I do think it disavles autogen all-together? There's supposedly no injury kits at all, too - in the hardcore mod 1.0 that is...

1eyedking

Erudite
Norfleet said:
The autoregeneration is really a non-issue, because the fights are already all balanced for the idea that you WILL go into every fight with full health. There does not appear to be an online spyware component.
What a load of crap. There's lots of filler encounters in between big fights in dungeons. Autoregeneration and autoresurrection are there for the ADD acshun kiddies and lazy dumbfucks who can't bother with potion & resting micromanagement.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I guess I'll give the game a try once it hits the bargain bins. I don't care if the writing is worthy of a Nobel prize or not, but I do care about the game mechanics and I actually rather enjoy potion & resting micromanagement.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
Oh, don't worry, the writing in the game's not even as good as that of decent fantasy mass-market paperbacks.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Lesifoere said:
Oh, don't worry, the writing in the game's not even as good as that of decent fantasy mass-market paperbacks.

Well, my standards for good writing is much higher for books than for games...

Kaanyrvhok

Arbiter
1. Its hardcoded in the sense that if you turn it off you probably wont be able to beat the game. Its nice to have at least 5-10 potions in the bank for the big battles. If you had to heal after every battle you would have a hard enough time beating the mobs before you even get to the boss.

Bluebottle

Erudite
Patron
Dead State Wasteland 2
All it'd mean is that a healer would be required, and then you'd have a 5 minute wait after each battle during which you healed, waited for mana regen, healed, waited etc.

Unless you want to do away with mana regen, too.

As people have suggested, removal of the autoregen function (and the unconcious mechanic) would have to go beyond simply taking it out, and would really require a total rework of many of the mechanics, not just the encounter design.

made

Arcane
Kaanyrvhok said:
1. Its hardcoded in the sense that if you turn it off you probably wont be able to beat the game. Its nice to have at least 5-10 potions in the bank for the big battles. If you had to heal after every battle you would have a hard enough time beating the mobs before you even get to the boss.

This makes no sense at all. How would spamming potions after ever battle make the fights harder? You're never taken from one fight to another without a break. All it would add is tedium.

Yeesh

Magister
made said:
Kaanyrvhok said:

This makes no sense at all. How would spamming potions after ever battle make the fights harder? You're never taken from one fight to another without a break. All it would add is tedium.
Pining for tedium makes you hardc0re.

Kaanyrvhok

Arbiter
made said:

You would run out. The tedium is waiting for stanima to regen for healing spells which is what you would have to do to save your potions.

DreadMessiah said:
With the availability of potions auto regen/mana is pointless anyways.

It only seems like there is a lot of potions because you dont have to use them outside of battle.

DreadMessiah

Liturgist
I had 100+ minor/normal health/mana with using some on nightmare around 13th lvl with 200+ gold still available. Get out of Lothering go to forest can buy 99 elf roots as long as you have the coin. Mage tower lyrium 99 available long as have the coin. In camp buy flasks 99 at a time and what you want for distilation for making normal potions. Use mostly minor with the occasional normal instead of the far more expensive greater potions. Stealing pays for those potions alone if you bother doing so. The merchant in Ostagar sells back pack twice for 50 something silver. Once before going to wilds then another when come back. Thats 20 more space available quickly. Strip jory/daveth after wilds for extra coin as they do not protest. Actually it is very easy and cheap to gain potions throughout the game. I bought two staffs and some books and by the end of the game had over 300+ gold to buy stuff with after having hundreds of potions minor/normal health/mana.

Grifthin

Educated
Unless you play a warrior, in which case by time you have drank a normal/minor potion you are most likely dead. Lesser potions don't give enough HP back at later levels to help warrrios unless the enemy is currently incapacitated in which case you can quickly pop one. Otherwise it's just a waster as you end up with the same or less hp after stopping you attack just to drink a tiny potion.

DreadMessiah

Liturgist
Grifthin said:
Unless you play a warrior, in which case by time you have drank a normal/minor potion you are most likely dead. Lesser potions don't give enough HP back at later levels to help warrrios unless the enemy is currently incapacitated in which case you can quickly pop one. Otherwise it's just a waster as you end up with the same or less hp after stopping you attack just to drink a tiny potion.
Outside of combat makes no difference while in combat you should have healing from a spellcaster and between regenration/heal/group heal your party should be okay. Only use the bigger potions when necessary. Never had to use too many later in game during a fight.

Kaanyrvhok

Arbiter
DreadMessiah said:
I had 100+ minor/normal health/mana with using some on nightmare around 13th lvl with 200+ gold still available. Get out of Lothering go to forest can buy 99 elf roots as long as you have the coin. Mage tower lyrium 99 available long as have the coin. In camp buy flasks 99 at a time and what you want for distilation for making normal potions. Use mostly minor with the occasional normal instead of the far more expensive greater potions. Stealing pays for those potions alone if you bother doing so. The merchant in Ostagar sells back pack twice for 50 something silver. Once before going to wilds then another when come back. Thats 20 more space available quickly. Strip jory/daveth after wilds for extra coin as they do not protest. Actually it is very easy and cheap to gain potions throughout the game. I bought two staffs and some books and by the end of the game had over 300+ gold to buy stuff with after having hundreds of potions minor/normal health/mana.

I figured that there might be a place that sells ingredients in which case then yes you could brew enough potions to sweep the game with a small army.

If you were to go to Redcliffe first then run to the Mage's tower you might experience quite a lot of combat without having the money to buy that many ingredients. I spent at least a third of my money on ingredients for potions, traps, and poisons at Recliffe and I had 22 health potions. I just killed the sloth demon at 8 potions found two more for 10. Without regen the you would have to drink like 25+ potions to survive Tower and the Fade and thats not including the basement or you could wait on the slow regeneration of a healer's stamina.

I dont mind giving an alchemist the option to create that many potions especially in a game with such a conservative monetary system. Its still not a viable alternative to auto regen.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
shihonage said:
Is the story/dialogue as mind-numbingly dull as Mass Effect ?

There're actually parts where it's fairly okay and there are more plot decisions to make than in ME, though just as in all Bioware games, the consequences are... more or less identical no matter what. Then there're the usual "who do you side with/which person do you pick" Bioware big moments.

Taken as a whole, it's fairly dull, yes. With some moments interspersed to make you not uninstall.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom