Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Turn-Based Tactics Ultimate Jagged Alliance 2 + 1.13 Mods TOPIC

Endemic

Arcane

ArchAngel

Arcane
I finally recruited Miguel and Carlos, equipped them with camo gear, melee or throwing weapons, nightvision and let them clear the prison at night :D
Enemies fast figure out my troops are there (I still have no clue how to do stealth well) but it didn't help them. Miguel is lvl 6 and I bought him a Katana, he waits by doors, always gets interrupt and slices enemies in two hits :D
Carlos got shurikens to throw from 2 squares away into enemy heads but he is overall much less effective

Pegultagol

Erudite
Anyone know a good NCTH setting? I get my guys behind some cover (four trees, two deep and wide) and still get their asses handed to them sometimes.

Fargus

Arcane
Oh yeah. Finished it, had tons of fun. They really dont make games like these anymore and 1.13 does a hell of a job to improve the vanilla experience. Some annoying quirks too. There are additions i dislike of course, like for example why they added so many lame mercs from JA1? Way to shit up the roster of both AIM and MERC sites.

Some bughunt screenshots

Sure, and if the aliens attack Arulco our arrangement would include stopping the extraterrestrial invasion as well. And it includes potential zombie apocalypse if it happens too. And so on. I really hate this fucking spic Enrico. Not only he's been shitting up my inbox he is also completely worthless. No wonder he lost a power struggle to a woman and fled.

Balime massacre. Around 40 hostiles attacked, we had to carpet bomb them to death to win this. Damaged a few buildings in the process. Few weeks later we lost Balime to the enemy because they counter attacked with the force too big for us to bother. So we just gave it up for the time and then retuned and carpet bombed that yappie faggot shithole again and destroyed multiple buildings, including that german's electronics shop that for some reason magneted every enemy in the sector and they decided to have a barbeque on the rooftop while we mortar bombed them into the stone age.

Not much Meduna screenshots, was too absorbed and having too much fun capturing it. Well, aside from shitty tanks that are just there to waste time.

Something everyone should do in this game lol

raeven

Educated
Anyone know a good NCTH setting? I get my guys behind some cover (four trees, two deep and wide) and still get their asses handed to them sometimes.

The NCTH system is deeply, deeply misguided / broken. There's a reason why it's turned off by default. In my opinion - it shouldn't be used.

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
It might be time to play 1.13 again. Can you share some settings such as tuned suppression that makes it feasible to use a SAW on one squad member? Also if you have tuned settings for faster middle game progression to make it harder or other interesting settings please let me know.

Oh, should I play the main branch or some LOBOT fork or something? I can compile the code so source repos are good too.

Is playing without gun drops really necessary for balance? I hate it.

One more thing is whether there are any cheats save games that could help me tune the .ini for specifics stages off the campaign.

Fargus

Arcane
I probably won't be much help with that. I didn't bother with any settings can only say my impressions from a user perspective. Only turned off massive Drassen counter-attack, because too much ass rape and too early. The rest of the towns were spammed with 20-40 enemies multiple times, i even had to surrender a couple towns and few sectors for a time.

Lobot was included in this 1.13 installation and just needed to be checked in options (logical body types). Its a bit unfinished, head explosion anim doesnt work as it should for example, but otherwise looks great. I played with lobot on.

Enemies also loved to spam the full auto suppression on me and my mercs, so just laying around in a circle on your belly with your merc group and shooting enemies doesnt always work youll be out of AP in no time if enemy force is large. IMP with machinegunner and psycho is fun to play btw :)

Snipers felt nerfed somewhat, i used to punish entire maps with them in earlier 1.13 versions, they still pretty powerful though.

Dont see anything wrong with gun drops, most of the loot was uber trash and i bobby ray selection was slow to update. I guess the default progression settings. But i managed.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I changed a bit more of settings. In addition to turning off Dressen attack I also turned off reinforcements feature because it makes it so you do not need to defend towns much anymore as they reinforce themselves and murder any attack attempts. Outside of that it forces you to have one Radio operator to stop enemy reinforcements when fighting outside towns.

I didn't use drop all items but I changed that selling items to sectors is 20% of the base item cost instead of 10%. I still mostly try to sell to traders if I can.

I also should have turned off ambush feature because it is not possible to travel around without one person with Scouting perk which is just irritating. I didn't for this run as I gave my IMP scouting and you get Ira early so you can kind of have two squads that way.

I also turned off Bobby shipments having 10% chance to get completely lost, that sounds just like super irritating RNG that wastes time. That guy that steals stuff from your shipments (multiple times) is already irritating enough.

spectre

Arcane
Balance is already not a concern when playing 1.13, think of it as a sandbox in which you get to make your own fun.

Enemies drop all items breaks the economy, but it's also something I hate to play without, because IMO it cheapens your victories
with crappy rewards. Only way to bring that back is to play melee and beat enemies up to steal their guns.

Otherwise, to sorta, kinda make it work, I usually self-impose a bunch of restrictions: no selling directly from sector inventory,
no buying shit for Bobby Rays (exception can be made for used items), try to fund yourself by just selling shit to Tony,
don't abuse the multiple IMP feature, and perhaps avoid the temptation to get a free merc altogether.
The trick is to balance it out so that money doesn't become a trivial issue, but something you still need to work for...
unless that's how you want to play.

Fargus

Arcane
I also turned off Bobby shipments having 10% chance to get completely lost, that sounds just like super irritating RNG that wastes time. That guy that steals stuff from your shipments (multiple times) is already irritating enou

Isn't losing Bobby Ray shipments a Salvatore thing? He loses entire shipments, but only appears in the game if Pablo is dead. Pablo is a cocksucker but you can tip him like 200-300 bucks a shipment and he never loses anything.

I also should have turned off ambush feature because it is not possible to travel around without one person with Scouting perk which is just irritating. I didn't for this run as I gave my IMP scouting and you get Ira early so you can kind of have two squads that way.

Didn't know you can turn ambushes off. Hate that shit. But i do like real time sneaking through the woods in enemy sectors.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Oh and I also turned on to see recruit perks in AIM recruit page. Those are kind of important and it only makes it so you do not need to recruit them, see their perks that way and then load a save.

Asdow

Educated
It might be time to play 1.13 again. Can you share some settings such as tuned suppression that makes it feasible to use a SAW on one squad member? Also if you have tuned settings for faster middle game progression to make it harder or other interesting settings please let me know.

Oh, should I play the main branch or some LOBOT fork or something? I can compile the code so source repos are good too.

One more thing is whether there are any cheats save games that could help me tune the .ini for specifics stages off the campaign.
In addition to the jenkins link, the main 1.13 github repo has automated builds and gives you the option to choose from any of the localizations besides just English. So if you're wanting to play it in Polish, it's available. (Though, the localized versions have not gotten a lot of upkeep during the years, so there might be issues. We've been fixing them up as things have come up)

https://github.com/1dot13/source/releases

Luka-boy

Arcane
Isn't losing Bobby Ray shipments a Salvatore thing? He loses entire shipments, but only appears in the game if Pablo is dead. Pablo is a cocksucker but you can tip him like 200-300 bucks a shipment and he never loses anything.
You can also punch Pablo after he steals a shipment and he will return the things the next day and never steal again.

ArchAngel

Arcane
You can also punch Pablo after he steals a shipment and he will return the things the next day and never steal again.
Oh he steals again and again. I punched him multiple times now.

Luka-boy

Arcane
Are you sure that's Pablo though? Some shipments can randomly get lost unless you disable that option.

Or maybe I'm misremembering and punching him just decreases the chances of him stealing by a lot.

Modron

Arcane
Or maybe I'm misremembering and punching him just decreases the chances of him stealing by a lot.
Maybe Archangel keeps hitting him with a noodle armed custom IMP night ops mercenary so he isn't afraid of the 40 str beatings.

spectre

Arcane
Punching only gets you your shit back after Pablo stole it. If you want your shit safe, 20$ is sufficient for "coffee money."
That's how it went in vanilla JA2. Had the same experience in 1.13, but that was in one of the older versions.
I think they still left a flat 10% chance for a shipment to be lost, regardless of anything, which can be toggled in the ini.

In any case, to get this shit right, you first need a merc to examine the shipment, if they comment that stuff is missing (could be a WIS check in there),
that's your cue to "restore factory settings" of Pablo's attitude (the "wasn't me, man" line means something went wrong).
You also need to get the "Greased Pablo's hands" message in the log.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Punching only gets you your shit back after Pablo stole it. If you want your shit safe, 20$ is sufficient for "coffee money."
That's how it went in vanilla JA2. Had the same experience in 1.13, but that was in one of the older versions.
I think they still left a flat 10% chance for a shipment to be lost, regardless of anything, which can be toggled in the ini.

In any case, to get this shit right, you first need a merc to examine the shipment, if they comment that stuff is missing (could be a WIS check in there),
that's your cue to "restore factory settings" of Pablo's attitude (the "wasn't me, man" line means something went wrong).
You also need to get the "Greased Pablo's hands" message in the log.
I tried greasing him with 100$, still it didn't help. He always complained that it isn't enough or something. For most of the game I kept one person there whose job was to keep pablo in check and repair stuff if possible and upkeep militia numbers while others are on the map. Also since I didn't control SAM south of Dressen (as 20 rookie militia there always lose badly and hilariously to whatever soldiers attack...) I also needed that one person to use their Scouting to bring new people safely from starting location to Dressen airfield to get ordered gear.

spectre

Arcane
ArchAngel I think I always gave 200$ and it used to be more than enough. Guys at the Bear Pit says 20$ does the trick. Unless they screwed with it in a recent 1.13 build.
Could be that you've fucked up the triggers somewhere along the way. Say, you've beaten up Pablo when he didn't steal anything yet.
Not sure how the flat chance to steal introduced in 1.13 factors into this (does it count as Pablo stealing, or it's just a shit happens, I would switch it off just to be sure)
and if it's even possible to unfuck it at this point without starting a new game.

raeven

Educated
has anyone played any 1.13 total conversion mods such as Arulco Revisited, Vengeance, Urban Chaos, etc? Any recommendations?

Nutmeg

Arcane
Vatnik Wumao
Is there a way to play with the AI mods without 1.13?

Are there any variants of 1.13 or otherwise that are actually focused on making the game more enjoyable and challenging in a non menial way as opposed to autistically simulating things that either don't matter at all and just add visual clutter or ultimately detract from the game because they don't interact well with the basic systems?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom