Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail [PRE-RELEASE THREAD, GO TO NEW THREAD]

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
AFAIK the game will only be released on Steam and GOG. Gamersgate indeed gives you a steam key (because the platform went bankrupt or something). If you don't want the steam app, buy it again on gog.
I think you're talking about Desura, not about Gamersgate.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
AFAIK the game will only be released on Steam and GOG. Gamersgate indeed gives you a steam key (because the platform went bankrupt or something). If you don't want the steam app, buy it again on gog.
I think you're talking about Desura, not about Gamersgate.
Oh right. I'm could be wrong then. Does gamergate have drm-free downloads ?

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
Oh right. I'm could be wrong then. Does gamergate have drm-free downloads ?
They have a few drm-free downloads, yes, I bought the game here so I really hope that I will be able to download it directly (I even don't mind waiting for a few days).

Stompa

Arcane
Hey so.... anyone went full melee yet for the hell of it? How did that turn out? I already tried going guns heavy and esp skillz.
I did. I went with a knife-centric build and a sledgehammer build, both using heavy armor. Knives have one of the largest selection of extremely useful perks, probably only beaten by unarmed. Both are fun and pretty good but I much prefer the knife build. I think it's more powerful, but it's just more enjoyable than the sledge. With the sledge you can make 2-4 attacks per turn on average, with knives it's about 8-12. Because of a certain perk, the knife build is much more mobile also.

There's a certain pleasure in being a juggernaut smashing enemies' heads with your custom-built lightning-powered hammer that knife build can't provide.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Hopefully the game is completed fully when released and not Serpent in the Staglands released.

Xzylvador

Arbiter
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
After lurking for a few years this game has forced me to sign up for some UnderRail savant sage advice, namely Psi builds and defence. Con or agility is my conundrum, and which feats are best for Psi defence?
Kind of early to ask this, especially since psi apparently is one of the things getting quite a lot of changes (and has gotten changed the last few patches too).

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Hopefully the game is completed fully when released and not Serpent in the Staglands released.

The game was 90% complete a year ago (or felt 90% complete) and offered well over 60 hours of gameplay on just one playthrough. It's not a concern.

Howdy

That's what I thought reading the last known patch notes. Presumed some beta testers may have a few salient words of advice. Will have to wait to a whole day to get into the nitty gritty of char builds. Can't fucking wait.

mixer

Learned
I spent more time at work making a build than working today.

Most likely candidate is stealthy and highly mobile SMG user with granades backup. I will change my mind at least 4 times before release anyways.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
Hey so.... anyone went full melee yet for the hell of it? How did that turn out? I already tried going guns heavy and esp skillz.
I did. I went with a knife-centric build and a sledgehammer build, both using heavy armor. Knives have one of the largest selection of extremely useful perks, probably only beaten by unarmed. Both are fun and pretty good but I much prefer the knife build. I think it's more powerful, but it's just more enjoyable than the sledge. With the sledge you can make 2-4 attacks per turn on average, with knives it's about 8-12. Because of a certain perk, the knife build is much more mobile also.

Not anymore it's not. Everything you thought you knew about builds is moot. :hahyou:

PirateScum

Augur
Don't know if this has been discussed/answered already, but the question of all questions:

Is it possible to use custom portraits?

jagged-jimmy

Prophet
Codex 2012
So with the 25% penalty to health for Psi and CON being kind of a dump stat too (for certain builds), it's probably discouraged to mix psi with melee?

I had some fun with stealth/knife/metathermics guy, with 8 WIL / 5 INT. But 25% would mean more than 100 hp down from 450.
So now i am considering to dump WIL and go INT and fully specialize in crafting instead... So more of a pure build.

I am wondering where the 25% penalty comes from? Was Psi super overpowered, never tried full Psi myself.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
As someone who folllows game's development in last 3 years, I would say that first I thought that Psi build was fun and powerful, interesting to play.
Then I have found about melee unarmed... You already know what I mean?
I thought that there is nothing better then this, and then I found out about pistol build...
Then I read patchnote about feats, that made crossbows an interesting choice I want to try later.
This is what Underrail is.

Last edited:

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
So with the 25% penalty to health for Psi and CON being kind of a dump stat too (for certain builds), it's probably discouraged to mix psi with melee?

I had some fun with stealth/knife/metathermics guy, with 8 WIL / 5 INT. But 25% would mean more than 100 hp down from 450.
So now i am considering to dump WIL and go INT and fully specialize in crafting instead... So more of a pure build.

I am wondering where the 25% penalty comes from? Was Psi super overpowered, never tried full Psi myself.

Why would that be discouraged? PSI/melee was one of not THE strongest build in alpha. 25 % penalty won't mean much. PSI will still be super strong. It has so many disables/stuns, and melee is crazy with low AP cost

epeli

Arcane
That's what I thought reading the last known patch notes. Presumed some beta testers may have a few salient words of advice. Will have to wait to a whole day to get into the nitty gritty of char builds. Can't fucking wait.

Beta testers won't reveal anything. ;) Patience, you'll get to it very soon!

If you want to try some character build number-crunching, I just updated underrail.info.tm for the release version. (I didn't actually test it against the game. There might be slight deviations due to differences in rounding, but psi regen and HP should be precise.)

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
From what I've read of the changelogs, quite a few psi powers are having their psi point costs increased, some AP costs are being adjusted, and along with the 25% HP penalty, it sounds like psi was indeed considered a bit overpowered.

Either way, I'm intimately familiar with the game mechanics, so more challenge is welcome. My two mostly-complete pre-release playthroughs were as armor 'n' hammer guy and sneaky crossbow guy, and I'm going full psi for my 1.0 playthrough. Crossbow guy was a bit rough; Styg mentioned that crossbows "needed some love" several months ago, so presumably they've been reworked for 1.0.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
epeli can you put your charbuilder on some prominent place in official forum?
Also it would be good if someone put link on it in OP.

From what I've read of the changelogs, quite a few psi powers are having their psi point costs increased, some AP costs are being adjusted, and along with the 25% HP penalty, it sounds like psi was indeed considered a bit overpowered.

Either way, I'm intimately familiar with the game mechanics, so more challenge is welcome.

Don't forget about difficulty levels - Hard give us another HP penalty. )))))

ArchAngel

Arcane
Is the game moddable? Is it possible someone adds some survival elements in the future like needing to eat, drink, persistent injuries and such.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom