Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

ciox

Liturgist
Yeah like I said before it's best used as a kind of flamethrower for pest control. And even then you need a constant stream of pests that would overwhelm your handgrenade cooldowns.
Still I'm sure it gets better once you can craft something that shoots once per turn and hits as hard as handgrenades, you just have to wait for quality frames.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Yeah like I said before it's best used as a kind of flamethrower for pest control. And even then you need a constant stream of pests that would overwhelm your handgrenade cooldowns.
Still I'm sure it gets better once you can craft something that shoots once per turn and hits as hard as handgrenades, you just have to wait for quality frames.
Dont give Ubik the ideas. He will make another DLC - called Fire Duty - with real flamethrowers.

jackofshadows

Magister
2) I almost feel like it should be near-mandatory for the expedition to end in catastrophe. A “The Terror”-like feel would suit the DLC better, unfortunately my expedition never really ran into resource problems
It's possible though. On one run I simply ignored all the raids and went on exploring so when I went back, was greeted by the savages and there was a huge pile of corpses in the middle of the camp. Stuff burning etc. But yeah, in practice it's not hard at all to prevent it from happening.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
2) I almost feel like it should be near-mandatory for the expedition to end in catastrophe. A “The Terror”-like feel would suit the DLC better, unfortunately my expedition never really ran into resource problems
It's possible though.

Yeah, I know. I just feel like it would have served the feel of the DLC better for it to be (at least nearly) inevitable. The game could measure your success with other criteria, for example letting some expedition members survive, having the expedition complete its mission despite many deaths etc.

jackofshadows

Magister
Yeah, I know. I just feel like it would have served the feel of the DLC better for it to be (at least nearly) inevitable. The game could measure your success with other criteria, for example letting some expedition members survive, having the expedition complete its mission despite many deaths etc.
Sure, I agree. For example, as for to have such and then they lived happily ever after would require to do all the optional stuff like finding mines, repairing the naga (with alternative non-skill related option to do that), time sensitive missions maybe and so on. Also yeah, would be nice to have at least one Aegis raid on their own and not with nameless sec-troppers only with the possibility of a complete failure. Wiping out both natives and pirates by the PC alone is too gamey and detracts immersion. Then again, remembering all that fuss in case of joining as Invictus...

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Sure, I agree. For example, as for to have such and then they lived happily ever after would require to do all the optional stuff like finding mines, repairing the naga (with alternative non-skill related option to do that), time sensitive missions maybe and so on. Also yeah, would be nice to have at least one Aegis raid on their own and not with nameless sec-troppers only with the possibility of a complete failure. Wiping out both natives and pirates by the PC alone is too gamey and detracts immersion. Then again, remembering all that fuss in case of joining as Invictus...

Yeah - especially wiping out the natives felt extremely gamey, I wrote a long rant about it. They should have had less mass fighting and instead have some extremely difficult key fights followed up by a questish reason that you made them move or poisoned them all or whatever.

notpl

Arbiter
People talk endlessly about the new weapons in this thread, but I don't recall hearing much about the DLC's new quest content. What's it like? Scope, quality, etc

ciox

Liturgist
It's very light and you don't really solve any quests, you fight or sneak, get keys, and pass some skill checks.
The main purpose of the new area is to procure unique weapons/armor to use for the rest of the game.

agris

Arcane
Patron
It's very light and you don't really solve any quests, you fight or sneak, get keys, and pass some skill checks.
The main purpose of the new area is to procure unique weapons/armor to use for the rest of the game.
in a normal playthrough, about where do you encounter it? while doing core city, on your way to it, just after depot A, etc

ciox

Liturgist
in a normal playthrough, about where do you encounter it? while doing core city, on your way to it, just after depot A, etc
You can rush to it as soon as you are in Core City, you can also retreat and come back later if it's too much, the latter is also useful if you want to get the unique energy pistol asap.

CHEMS

Scholar
I'm really enjoying the Grenade Launcher. I think i'll try that GL build that's on underrail forum later on.
Interesting, I found the early GLs you can get or craft to be quite underwhelming on Dom, but it may be that LMGs are just too strong.
Well, i'm using the GL as a sidearm in my SI versatility pistol build and i think it's pretty nuts. I often crit with it, and it shreds groups of enemies on Dominating. And i don't have a single GL feat on this build. If you can reliably bottleneck enemies, you trivialize most fights. Throw a little psychoknesis for the imprint and grounding and you're golden. The only downside is that i can only reliably use the thumper as it has no STR requirement, so it's a single shot. Even though by using contraction and adrenaline i can shoot this thing twice and even throw a hand grenade to finish them off, or throw a flashbang to continue blowing shit up.

It's also worth mentioning that you can refurbish the Thumper as soon as you finish Depot A, it doesn't require any parts to do so. You get a 100-200 damage GL for 400 charons as soon as you get to Rail Crossing. It is really strong.

ciox

Liturgist
I'm really enjoying the Grenade Launcher. I think i'll try that GL build that's on underrail forum later on.
Interesting, I found the early GLs you can get or craft to be quite underwhelming on Dom, but it may be that LMGs are just too strong.
Well, i'm using the GL as a sidearm in my SI versatility pistol build and i think it's pretty nuts. I often crit with it, and it shreds groups of enemies on Dominating. And i don't have a single GL feat on this build. If you can reliably bottleneck enemies, you trivialize most fights. Throw a little psychoknesis for the imprint and grounding and you're golden. The only downside is that i can only reliably use the thumper as it has no STR requirement, so it's a single shot. Even though by using contraction and adrenaline i can shoot this thing twice and even throw a hand grenade to finish them off, or throw a flashbang to continue blowing shit up.

It's also worth mentioning that you can refurbish the Thumper as soon as you finish Depot A, it doesn't require any parts to do so. You get a 100-200 damage GL for 400 charons as soon as you get to Rail Crossing. It is really strong.
Gotcha, well I was going for a pure burst build with no psi so the crowd control was less good, I'd pretty much have to lay a bunch of bear traps in advance to make the enemies bunch up. Pretty much settled on no psi there.
Also this is probably going to help even more with Thumper https://www.stygiansoftware.com/wiki/index.php?title=Launcher_Grenade_Strap_Belt

CHEMS

Scholar

Gotcha, well I was going for a pure burst build with no psi so the crowd control was less good, I'd pretty much have to lay a bunch of bear traps in advance to make the enemies bunch up. Pretty much settled on no psi there.
Also this is probably going to help even more with Thumper https://www.stygiansoftware.com/wiki/index.php?title=Launcher_Grenade_Strap_Belt
This belt will help with those six or eight round GLs, but for the Thumper i can easily do without it. Using the Commando Belt for now, my hit rate is still crap since it's a versatility build with only two spec points, but i've already reached the skill requirement to thump around reliably. Current building my mechanics so i can fool around with cluster grenades, haven't tried them yet

CHEMS

Scholar
Just got the Stunner. Actually pretty easy to get, the ambush fight is ridiculous since you can just abuse line of sight and they can't get to you.

Man, this pistol is GOAT. It doesn't have the crazy crit multiplier that crafted ones do, but the side effects are just OP. High chance to stun, a garanteed stun if you use its ability, 25-40 base damage, 10% base crit chance, not to mention garanteed polarizing... I'm using this for the rest of the run. Worth carrying this pistol around even if you're not running a energy build.

Lol, made it back to Dark Caverns, for the 2nd time. Rapidly remembered why I ragequit the game years ago in DC.

Wow.

Nothing says great design like having to collect 20 gizmos in 10 shitty maps with infinite spawning enemies, and you are not even told which gizmos to collect. I cannot imagine how someone who designed the game itself could also design an area like DC.

Think I am just going to use some walkthrough guide this time. If the developer disrespects the player enough to create something like this, then I see no reason to respect the developer. That area singlehandedly lowers Underrail's score by 2-3 points.

NotSweeper

Educated
1707076801063513.jpg

I just got this off the chans.
Horrible optics.

ciox

Liturgist
I never got quite that far with my dev efforts, but it seems that being in control of a game's "meta" is a pretty significant part of the fun of making and maintaining a video game, even a singleplayer one. So this isn't that surprising.
Probably wouldn't be as much of a factor if the team had moved on and the focus was on the meta of a new game, but for various reasons they are still updating the original game, so it is what it is.

I guess it's actually a good question, what would you mod in anyway?
It would be interesting to try and tackle once again the biggest "political moments" in Underrail's update history, like the nerfs to Quick Tinkering and Forcefield and Spearhead rifles, the Psi redesign with slots and reserves, the power of Temporal Manipulation... and see if you can do a better job.
You could also try bringing back things that were cut, and see if you can make them work, like Force Emission letting you punch enemies at a distance.
This would all ideally be done by making multiple mini-mods for each issue, since that is a more modern and polite way of doing modding than shipping a mega-mod that changes everything.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
If the above was so integral to the designer experience, why would anyone design non-digital games where anyone can house rule at any time?

Serus

Arcane
Patron
1707076801063513.jpg

I just got this off the chans.
Horrible optics.
This was always a stupid attitude of his. His game would remain exactly the same with or without mods, as virginal as ever. You need to install a mod on your copy to perform defloration, men simply having dicks making mods is not enough. He probably loses some money because of that decision but this is his game and his money.

I'dd add a few Codexers as NPCs to annoy the ones i don't like. The ones i like too.
Or not, i'm too lazy.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Why did Josh Sawyer make a mod for New Vegas?
The difference between a AAA release and indie game. Styg doesn't have to cater to Bethestards.

As for what you'd mod into Underrail, I'd revert the psi nerf.

ciox

Liturgist
Why did Josh Sawyer make a mod for New Vegas?
The difference between a AAA release and indie game. Styg doesn't have to cater to Bethestards.

As for what you'd mod into Underrail, I'd revert the psi nerf.
I think it would be interesting to try a lot of things with psi, the system always felt a bit incomplete and up in the air, and went through many revisions.

For instance there was a time when mindshrooms were a lot more useful, since psi points did not regenerate by themselves, and you could get psi directly from shrooms with the Shroomhead feat, or by straight up injecting them into you with the old psi booster recipe that only needed mindshrooms and syringes. Basically the new "psi reserves" thingy was already there and in a less annoying form.
There's some remains of this concept still in the game, such as the weird little secret rooms here and there, where you must pass some kind of check, but your only reward is a room with 3 mindshrooms in it.
This shows up in the caves, in that keycard-locked biology room in GMS compound, and some other places. Those shrooms would have been a lot more useful with the old psi system.

It could be cool to explore that with mod tools someday.

Me personally I would have liked to experiment with a system where learning psi abilities is similar to interacting with Ignus in Planescape Torment... there is no Psi Empathy feat that you have to take up front, but instead you must suffer some kind of a debuff with every single psi ability that you learn, max health or resistances or something else.
This opens things up for balancing a fair bit, since cave wizards that learn 50 psi abilities will really feel the impact of doing so, instead of just taking that meh -25% health penalty at start and then just getting endless power growth for the rest of the game.
And you can now specify different penalties for learning different psi abilities, so that the very powerful psi abilities will really kick you in the dick, while the less useful psi abilities have very small penalties.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom