Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Underworld Ascendant Pre-Release Thread

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
DarkZone said:
I think that giving a fighter the parkour abilities is a mistake, such things should be reserved for the nimble thief who does not carry heavy armor and weapons.

I dislike the class-based system they are going for in general. All their classics were classless, the RPG systems were not bound by class but rather build C&C was determined by not providing enough resources to max a character.
Still, I'd appreciate a more restrictive approach to enforce vastly differing playstyles per playthrough, but ultimately there's less freedom. I'm happy to wait and see where they take it though.

Anyhow, to address your concern directly: I think the fighter should have double jump, and the Thief should have wall running. That would diversify and define the two nicely.

The game is classless, the perks are just grouped under "Fighter"/"Rogue"/"Mage" labels.

Ash

Arcane
Cool.

I remember them mentioning way back that they were going for a class-based system that determined your available build options, but I must be mistaken.

I wish I was drunk. My dick would be so hard, reading all the above non-sense.

Zep--

No it wouldn't. Impotence goes a long way in explaining your unnecessary unending rage. :x

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
Spelunking was exploration in UU and it was awesome. I remember trying to make jumps over chasms with water below, falling in and hoping I can swim long enough to make shore somewhere, only to discover a beach with a path leading to some strange room or other. Very cool stuff.

Double jump although it gives you gameplay options is dumb unless it is invoked using a spell or something. This isn't a Yoshi game.

Darkzone

Arcane
DarkZone said:
I think that giving a fighter the parkour abilities is a mistake, such things should be reserved for the nimble thief who does not carry heavy armor and weapons.
I dislike the class-based system they are going for in general. All their classics were classless, the RPG systems were not bound by class but rather build C&C was determined by not providing enough resources to max a character.
Still, I'd appreciate a more restrictive approach to enforce vastly differing playstyles per playthrough, but ultimately there's less freedom. I'm happy to wait and see where they take it though.
Anyhow, to address your concern directly: I think the fighter should have double jump, and the Thief should have wall running. That would diversify and define the two nicely.
Ok that was my fault: I mean in the thief skill tree or set and not in the fighter skill set or tree. I'm also for a classless system, because i like to play the kind of arcane trickster (mage / thief) characters.

Divinity: Original Sin
If they conjure up a reason for double jump, like a magical platform, i'm ok with it. But to reach a place with double jump, you can use a rope arrow/rope magic, or levitate/fly. A warrior would be a man and stack piles of crates/corpses a get to unreacheable places.

You could jump off of Yoshi in midair. It would be nice to have a smaller pool which could only be used on movement skills and stuff like hold breath that would be less likely to be chosen. There would also be a general skill pool that could be used on any skills.

Darkzone

Arcane
I have been following this double jump discussion now, because i didn't knew what double jump should be. So am i correct that a double jump is a jump where you jump from a position in mid air that you have previously reached with a jump? If yes then double jump is shit.

Ash

Arcane
I have been following this double jump discussion now, because i didn't knew what double jump should be. So am i correct that a double jump is a jump where you jump from a position in mid air that you have previously reached with a jump?

Yes. It's also industry standard to be able to use the mid-air jump once after falling off edges, which opens up the ability to get into a opening below the ledge you are on for example. Double jump is cool because you can completely alter velocity mid-air, so jumping is not quite so one-dimensional so to speak. As it says in the update, it is possible to jump around corners using it. If the level design is tailored to exceptional verticality and engaging platforming where appropriate it would be very thrilling, I just hope it doesn't also forget its comprehensive, highly sophisticated roots in the process, and I also hope we get more RPG trimmings than just perks.

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
Of course DBL jump is shit.

*These UA faggots are trying to reach out to the lowest common denominator.

Zep--
*I may have bought some beer...not confirmed..post moar faggots.

Ash

Arcane
Of course DBL jump is shit.

Zep's objective analysis on why double jump is shit in 3...2...1...?
This is a game series with mysterious premonitions, talking doors, magic that accelerates growth of plant life or causes a box to levitate. Simply stating a double jumper's boots are enchanted/infused with magic resolves simulationist problems in such a game. The classic answer to all plot holes and inconsistencies: magic :D
Of course some things is pushing the boundaries of what the player is willing to accept, and double jump is one of them, but it is worth it for gameplay purposes.

Last edited:

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Let see Ash...let's go back and look

1 green skill (supposedly "feature" complete)
5 yellow Skills (supposedly being worked on)
50 red skills (LOL PHAGGOTS! NOT TOUCHED YET. BELIEVE GOLDEN BABY CAN FLY)

About sums it up...am I right?

Zep--

Ash

Arcane
Ah, classic Zep.

Part of me believes you often have a valid point, but I'd like to believe I can place some faith in one of the most highly-innovating, genre-defining, uncompromising powerhouses of intelligent game design to have graced this art form. Just wait and see, you've made your stance very clear and if you are right you will be acknowledged.

Momock

Augur
Ash said:
Double jump has been exceptionally fun in every game that has featured it, but I don't ever recall seeing it in a first person game
It means you didn't played the Metroid Prime series, then. It's a big loss. The double jump (with some propellers under the boots) was perfectly fine in this games, but I don't know if it fits in something with a more "simulationist" approach like Underworld. And it's a lazy mechanism in a lot of games, the way the 3D Marios handle the long and high jumps is more organic and elegant. But it is true that double jumping is very fun, it gives a great feeling of control.

Ash

Arcane
The hovering or holding b to jump higher is not double jump, although jumping off of Yoshi mid-air in Mario World 1 is (mechanically), as siveon mentioned.
Also, classic game, even if Underworld puts it to shame, but Underworld puts most games to shame to date.

It means you didn't played the Metroid Prime series, then.

Couldn't get past the forced lock-on aiming in a First Person game.

And it's a lazy mechanism in a lot of games

Eh? Examples?

I don't know if it fits in something with a more "simulationist" approach like Underworld

Again, game has magic, non-degraded food behind secret walls in ancient tombs, and talking doors. Simulation is important to the Immersive Sim, but not absolute.

Last edited:

Aenra

Guys? No offense yeah? Really. But you remind me of the evening news ffs..

We moved on from the actual news to a discussion bordering on touching the issue at heart (but not quite making it there), to an analysis of something not only superficial, but almost irrelevant to the original topic (this is where the 'experts' have been allowed into the panel, and the Babel-esque clusterfuck ensues). Soon enough, our time will "have run out",thank you folks someone will derrail this even further, the topic will die and the original issue will have been left forgotten; and obviously unresolved, lol

Who gives a fuck about whether hovering can or cannot be called a double jump ??!!!? jeesus
Are you fine with platformy/arcady elements on a game supposedly in the spirit of one of the greatest RPGs ever? Or not?
Are you capable of comprehending that with SS3 a reality and a newThiaf on its way if all goes well, they have OTHER fucking products whithin which to go fubar on pewpew elements? And not in their RPG?

..where the fuck is Brenda, we need that news forecasting Jim..

Ash

Arcane
As long as the game retains everything that made the original great I see no issue here. The original had non-simulationist platformy stuff too, such as the jump spell.

Also:

Are you fine with platformy/arcady elements on a game supposedly in the spirit of one of the greatest RPGs ever? Or not?
Are you capable of comprehending that with SS3 a reality and a newThiaf on its way if all goes well, they have OTHER fucking products whithin which to go fubar on pewpew elements? And not in their RPG?

Infinitron said:
No, it's an action-RPG. It's supposed to require --actual-- physical reflexes. You sound like an out-of-touch snob who thinks "action" is for the unwashed proles.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
Jumping then timing a repress and hold of the jump button to hover and get a little higher is pretty clearly a double jump irrespective of what it is called in game. Without some catalyst in the game world such as a spell it has no place in the underworld.

Ash

Arcane
Mechanically not the same: the hover can be repeated multiple times mid-air, Y axis velocity is always free to be manipulated (you can move left & right at any time during the hover), and no additional Z velocity is gained from a hover, rather you lose Z. You can also release hover button to drop at any time. It's hovering, not additional mid-air jumping.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
What? The double jump goes way back.
Jumping then timing a repress and hold of the jump button to hover and get a little higher is pretty clearly a double jump irrespective of what it is called in game. Without some catalyst in the game world such as a spell it has no place in the underworld.

I'd argue since it isn't exactly twice the jump, the hover jump isn't a double jump. But, it has the same purpose (refine your jump arc or get higher than normal) so forget my little nitpick. It's off-topic anyway.
Yes? Ultima Underworld was never a spreadsheet number cruncher, so making the player have more ways to interact with the dungeon seems only like a good thing to me. Granted, I'd much prefer something similar to the Mario games, but a double jump isn't exactly a deal breaker.

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Come on Ash, Don't be a dumb ass, try hard hope-faggot your whole life.

Know when it's time to say.."Ya know..this IS shit"

Zep--

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom