Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wasteland Undocumented Mechanics - Collection and Speculation

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
As I'm sure everyone has noticed there's something... funky with the RNG in the game.

I was browsing the wasteland general on /vg/ where I stumbled upon some interesting stuff.

Someone claims the following:

if a corresponding stat attribute is too low, the skill stat has additional minuses to it

such as

>coordination 2
>heavy weapons 8

This poster later went on to claim that within the code

its a minor penalty in the code, nothing dramatic

but 3% critical failure can go up to 5% with shitty main attribute

and in a heavy weapons 5% means 1 out of every 20 hail of shots

so dont evet go too low on coordination, minimum 4-5 for rangemasters

Obviously this isn't stated anywhere within the game's tooltips or even in the manual. (which is problematic within itself, but I digress)

Is there any evidence/truth to this? Have you stumbled upon any other potential undocumented correlations? Can someone with a higher IQ than me look into the game files and spoonfeed us all?

DISCUSS!

Greatness

Cipher
In the Beta some skills were limited by attributes. Surgeon for example couldn't be taken to max level without 10 INT. As far as I know those limits were removed before release.

Some of the mechanic changes aren't reflected in the tooltips. Leadership for example now gives gives 1% chance to hit per rank, but its tooltip say it gives 2%.

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
In the Beta some skills were limited by attributes. Surgeon for example couldn't be taken to max level without 10 INT. As far as I know those limits were removed before release.

Some of the mechanic changes aren't reflected in the tooltips. Leadership for example now gives gives 1% chance to hit per rank, but its tooltip say it gives 2%.

:?

I'm too OCD for this shit. Going to earnestly wait it out for a couple patches to get everything straight (Sea already mentioned bug fixes are coming soon) and hopefully have the relevant attribute related mechanics a little more transparent.

Greatness

Cipher
I'm too OCD for this shit. Going to earnestly wait it out for a couple patches to get everything straight (Sea already mentioned bug fixes are coming soon) and hopefully have the relevant attribute related mechanics a little more transparent.

It's not like it's unplayable or anything. There was a very long beta and the bugs that remain aren't gamebreaking.

Even if you wait on patches this still won't be the type of game that needs to have a perfectly optimized party. Even on max difficulty you can get by with a substandard group, hell you'll even get to experience more of the game that way since you get to try out more NPC's as they die off/get replaced.

Save your OCD for competitive multiplayer or at least for an actual strategy/tactics game. Wasteland 2 is an RPG, you play it to experience its world/story/characters, not to have the perfect party whom steamroll everything in sight.

Visperas

Augur
I'm not sure my doubts fit in here...
Anyway, I'm in the radio towerand I've found the second group of raiders but they're not attacking me. Is that because of charisma or have I found a bug?
Also, is there a way to set the whole party in ambush mode before the encounter starts? Also, can i start an encounter by shooting simultaneously two or more enemies?
Maybe this thread could also be doubts about mechanics?

Toll

Novice
Maybe, just maybe, low Coordination causes guns to jam more often? With the current meta of using coord as a dump stat, maybe this plays into the frequent weapon jams people are always going on about?

Greatness

Cipher
I've played through both with and without Coord as dump stat, couldn't tell any difference in gun jamming. I've seen people complaining about it but jamming seems to happen very rarely to me. Do people not use their weapon mods or something?

Toll

Novice
Perhaps jamming is a function of weapon skill and weapon tier.
The higher tier weapons jam more often for underdeveloped weapon skill? I don't think it works this way, but it would be sweet if it does.

Perkel

Arcane
I have to say something is going on with jamming.

I mean i have weapon with 4% jamming chance. If it was actually like that my weapon would jam like 1 to 20 shots. Reality is that it is more like 1/10 instead of 1/20.

So i assume that there is some debuff from to low stats (probably luck)

Norfleet

I haven't noticed anything unusual at all in jamming. And like i said, the code is legible, there is really nothing to see. It is just that the numbers are already extremely high, if you will note "probability of successfully emptying a magazine".

Perkel

Arcane
You know wgat would be good ? If someone would update desc of skills and add valid info

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom