Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Unofficial patches for Thief and other PC games

BasicMagician

Literate
Thanks for sharing this! Unofficial patches can be a lifesaver for making old games run smoothly on modern systems. It's always great to have a go-to list of them.

AlphaYellow

Educated
So I fixed the cutscenes FOV for Army Ranger: Mogadishu and Marine Sharpshooter 2: Jungle Warfare, two obscure mid-2000s FPS games. I only fixed the FOV for 16:9, but planning to include more aspect ratios. It is quite an involved process, as every mission has several cameras that have their unique FOVs, and there are camera triggers that might change the camera FOV on-the-fly as well. There are some cutscenes with FOV 90 that I wasn't able to edit yet without making the game crash (can't add extra bytes to the files or the game crashes somehow), will have to figure out how to edit those, LithTech isn't exactly a mod-friendly engine either hehe. Here are the links:
https://community.pcgamingwiki.com/files/file/2852-marine-sharpshooter-ii-jungle-warfare-fixes-169/

https://community.pcgamingwiki.com/files/file/2853-army-ranger-mogadishu-fixes-169/

Last edited:

AlphaYellow

Educated
Recently I released an FOV fix for Sanity: Aiken's Artifact (2000) https://community.pcgamingwiki.com/files/file/2862-sanity-aikens-artifact-fov-fix/

Supported aspect ratios: 12:5, 16:9, 16:10, 64:27 (21:9), 32:9, 43:18, 48:9 and 256:135. Instructions in the pcgw link

1.png

2.png

3.png

4.png

5.png

spekkio

Arcane
BROs, some stuff & niggs things.
That is all. :obviously:

Last edited:

spekkio

Arcane
Sorry, I got lost in all the versions of RE4. :oops:

Fixd.

In before yet another demake in 10 years... :roll:

flyingjohn

Arcane
Anybody have yamagi quake 2? The website is down unfortunately and I am not sure that the archive versions are up to date.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Star Wars: Republic Commando Remaster v1.7 released:

https://www.moddb.com/mods/rc-reskin-remaster/downloads/swrc-remaster-v17
Version 1.7 adds a ton of new graphical improvements. We've altered every map, except for lower Kashyyyk because of testing and some stuff not working. Good luck commando!

Full changelog:
  • New normal maps added to almost all meshes.
  • Remade bumpmaps and replaced some with normal maps.
  • Handmade textures for the menu and the intro on Kamino.
  • New model and texture for the engage icon.
  • New beta 5120x1440 resolution addon.
  • Slightly altered HUD, fits much better

Best used in conjunction with this:
https://github.com/SWRC-Modding/CT/releases

spekkio

Arcane
Thanks for the tip, but I'll just limit the post number on main page to two or sth. Walls of pics / text FTW. :obviously:

Also, before somebody asks: "why not just post this shit here?". Well, there will be serials and cracks, and we wouldn't want to lose our precious 'Dex to Eidos henchmen now, would we?

Last edited:

agris

Arcane
Patron
BROs, I made a thing. And it's GLORIOUS:

https://runoldpcgames.wordpress.com

Let's see how fast Wordpress nukes it. :cry:
Great idea, but you should probably made the articles smaller from the main page. with the "read_more" command in the editor.
is it? PC Gaming Wiki already exists, just update that.
to be fair, PCGW - while a great resource - suffers from design by committee. that is, when there are competing ways to get a game running well with modern resolutions and (say) EAX enabled, the steps and options are often jumbled. a clear authoritative presentation on how to get those games running will be superior to what PCGW offers. SS2 was a good test case, because on the PCGW entry for it you have (a) SS2Tool, (b) NewDark, and (c) OldDark.

soutaiseiriron

Educated
Well, a new personal blog is always nice to read and follow.
i agree but when a blog is as boring as "click setup.exe and install the game" it does seem pointless. not a hater, there's just significantly more exhaustive options that already exist and should be furthered.

to be fair, PCGW - while a great resource - suffers from design by committee. that is, when there are competing ways to get a game running well with modern resolutions and (say) EAX enabled, the steps and options are often jumbled. a clear authoritative presentation on how to get those games running will be superior to what PCGW offers. SS2 was a good test case, because on the PCGW entry for it you have (a) SS2Tool, (b) NewDark, and (c) OldDark.
ostensibly i agree but i mean, skill issue? try reading?

spekkio

Arcane
some newfag said:
PC Gaming Wiki already exists, just update that.

some newfag said:
I agree but when a blog is as boring as "click setup.exe and install the game" it does seem pointless.

Not a hater, but learn2read, newb. Since when PC Gaming Wiki:
  • links to working archive.org images,
  • writes about which crack should be used,
  • posts serials, required to install some games.
Cuz that's exactly what I plan to do.

tl;dr

I was making posts on UG about installing old games on new computers when PCGaming Wiki users were still sucking their mothers' dicks. :obviously:

spekkio

Arcane
agris said:
a clear authoritative presentation on how to get those games running
I plan to simply describe what I did to run a game on Win10 and call everyone a faggot if he disagrees with my method or asks about Linux or Win11.

:obviously:

spekkio

Arcane
BROs, three games done:
  • System Shock 2
  • Thief Gold
  • Thief 2 - Metal Age (+ T2X - Shadows of the Metal Age)

agris

Arcane
Patron
BROs, three games done:
  • System Shock 2
  • Thief Gold
  • Thief 2 - Metal Age (+ T2X - Shadows of the Metal Age)
Yo, if you didn’t know: this is a great resource for plug and play EAX support for any sound card, even basement tier Realtek chips.

It uses a direct sound DLL to reroute sound management to openAL soft which provides eax support. Bonus: the dlls are named such that there’s no conflicts with the like of dgvoodoo or other wrappers.

I’ve used it to restore eax on Drakan order of the flame, dungeon siege, thief - its easy and doesn’t require any configuring.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom