Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vampire Survivors and other top-down arcade shooters (VS discussion now forbidden)

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Another clone, this time with manual shooting rather than automatic. At least it tries something different:

EDIT:
And another, this time with online co-op LMAO

Last edited:

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Some more information I found on the reaper.

"It IS possible to kill Death (a.k.a., the Red Reaper), you'll unlock a hidden character when you do (Easiest way to figure out when to let the run end, is notate the kill count as soon as the monsters despawn). However, doing so is a MAJOR challenge, and here's why:

It's max HP is 655,350, MULTIPLIED by your character's level when it spawns.
It does 65,535 base damage. No amount of armor will save you from that. The only way to get around that is just not taking damage in the first place.
It has 1200 movement speed. You can't run from it.
High levels of knockback are actually bad against it, because it has negative resistance, meaning it will instead be pulled towards the player when hit.
It CAN be frozen, meaning the Clock Lancet (Weapon) and Orologion (Clock pickup from breakables) are essential to being able to kill it.
Another reaper will spawn every minute after the kill screen starts (31:00, 32:00, etc.). These will have different stats to the first reaper if the player leveled up after the first one spawned.

There are a few methods you can use, but the general rule is that you need to stay as low-level as possible until after it spawns, and as Panther said, Laurel and Clock Lancet are really good to get (If you don't have most of your re-rolls unlocked, it might be good to get those before trying this challenge, just so you can try and get what you need somewhat more reliably.

Also, don't try this with Curse leveled even a little bit. Save yourself from that pain, don't make the same mistake I did." - Taylor Swift

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
ive beaten the game
y4mnwXVb4qSvsad79B8O1cWE2j6cnBivz82aD_A7FclmC1AXzE_6ywTOBf6P_hRGBHHLxLpsl7mxvPidSumNN16ggalIO5sfuKKvsXxkasLgacQM17RETQcCe6K65JVCNI1-D7nAGfGnNavfAlU8VfyXvyyv6_Kt6HbOyW4vBjdsgl1dyggtjjXaiFWsdzXvzg8

Laurel and Clock Lancet
if you go that route, pick 2nd character, the one with extra xp. Also grab crown for even more xp. Good weapon to have is pentagram for even more xp. Time is tight for all those upgrades you need.

One of red deaths finally died when 4th appeared.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I see you guys have been discussing this for months, but I just tried it for the first time today because I thought it sounded dumb. This is better than it has any right to be, like an arcade classic except a bit deeper even though you're basically just steering your guy around.

Anyone thinking about trying it should take the plunge. Great game.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
I see you guys have been discussing this for months, but I just tried it for the first time today because I thought it sounded dumb. This is better than it has any right to be, like an arcade classic except a bit deeper even though you're basically just steering your guy around.

myself i bought it few days ago, wasnt even aware of this thread. Not really into this sort of games. Anyway it was interesting as at first I thought it is bullet hell sort of title, but eventually I realized you are supposed to build in such a way that you can just run through enemies

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

myself i bought it few days ago, wasnt even aware of this thread. Not really into this sort of games. Anyway it was interesting as at first I thought it is bullet hell sort of title, but eventually I realized you are supposed to build in such a way that you can just run through enemies

Fair enough. I figure the threshold to get your $2-3 out of it (depending on currency) is pretty minimal. I actually tried it on Gamepass and immediately grabbed it on Steam since I figured the dev earned the money. I haven't played that much of it obviously, but it reminds me of something like Robotron except you only control movement and upgrades. Arcade fun, arguably moderately deeper, but still better designed than a lot of shit out there these days.

Irata

Scholar
Another attempt:

There is a demo. I couldn't get into it, but I didn't put much time into either.

Black Angel

Arcane
but eventually I realized you are supposed to build in such a way that you can just run through enemies
Part of the game's fun is experimentation, but in Vampire Survivor's case I agree that the options are rather still limited due to the amount of selections of weapons and passive items. Magic Survival was at one point was really fucking fun because of the fusion mechanic and unique skills, but with both gone as the former merged with the talent system, and the latter relegated mostly to the artifacts, experimentation is just ain't as fun anymore.

Once again, I just hope VS's dev don't do the same mistake by removing existing mechanic for the sake of streamlining (aka dumbing down).

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Well, I managed to beat the reapers after the 30 minute mark.

I wasn't even trying to, but it just happened.

How I did it was by evolving the laurel into the crimson shroud, which has a special ability to limit incoming damage.

Then I just persisted for 2 minutes until it was dead. Yes, there were multiple reapers after me, but I managed to get by.

I was like level 150 too, so this definitely wasn't a planned thing. I was trying to farm some randomazzo cards and I just managed to kill them too.

I've heard people try to beat the reapers as low a level as possible, but I haven't really tried to fight them yet tbh.

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Bought this yesterday. Great fun.

My first win in the first stage:

HWFh3dl.png

The upgraded holy water is crazy.

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Managed to get to minute 30 in the library adding to the arsenal the clock that paralyzes enemies, without it would had been overrun by the last minute hordes.

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
I guess I've beaten the game now.

I got 127/127 achievements.

I'm sure more content will be added eventually, but for now, I've managed to catch up to the release schedule.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Garlic meta is pretty strong early on.

pFeSUG3.png

Did this, unlocked the Garlic Man, the rest is history. I kinda like how there are multiple ways to completely break the game. I mean, it is pretty silly to sit there for the remaining 15 minutes, waiting for the map to end... but still, kinda funny.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom