Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vampire Survivors and other top-down arcade shooters (VS discussion now forbidden)

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'm going to give this game a try, seems interesting and its on sale right now.

Honorable mention from my wishlist that I just picked up. On sale for $0.99 right now.

Black Angel

Arcane
So is Vampire Survivors the best game of its kind?
It was the first, so all others are compared to it. Might there be a better one? Might there be one that will end up better than VS? That remains to be seen, but it's possible.
The first was actually Magic Survival, but it's mobile-only atm (they do have plans to bring it on PC, but they probably preferred getting it to 1.0 first), so it's kinda moot point I guess.

Speaking of Magic Survival, the update before the last one brought highly desired change: the unique skills formerly removed during the earlier v0.8 patches, was back as Mastery. Not just that, they've confirmed that the fusion mechanic is making a comeback in the next v0.86 patch!....and then they killed the game (again) by removing Mastery, because they think the Mastery overlapped with the artifacts, as well as altering the Class system to be able to leveled up to level 4, but you need to spend some resources to buy the "XP" needed to level up those classes, but it is randomized in that you don't know which class are going to get those "XP" meaning the game is now FUCKING GACHA, and the resources can either be acquired by either spending real money, in large quantity by clearing an area/zone for the first time, or in small quantity by clearing or playing in endless mode any zone. And since the devs are galaxy-brained genius, it seems they've removed any kinds of rewards bonuses from playing the later stages.... Oh yeah, this is it, probably the last time I mentioned Magic Survival until the devs get their fucking shit together.

Now, thankfully, Vampire Survivors has released their mobile version, so the void is kinda filled. But it's just not the same, and out of severe desperation since I'm too attached to that game I mentioned above, I stumbled upon Pixel Mage Survival
T2BXPCJj7-y9bsqaNyJ4ugrrLMMHbwy_QLZKrIi4lVCufHIYUDQporfUOxlimTaEwZI=w526-h296-rw
BARff0VHbURf-RFG00eyaMUdUxHFAaIBI_3CBbwiJFQXXNmxIxqVQdRlXb9SiQ6sR_oL=w526-h296-rw
4aPUNm5pxwDvdcng4D96MxCSjpzuMa9P9ZIOr78_fmJN__E3WXaLTqyHXx3-M27zFA=w526-h296-rw
OgRnxtRsA3Yj24fImAzmETmBiJitEqRFARjcOoVWNs_FMk0SXcwTLIO7FM8d2PdtZ0FD=w526-h296-rw
_8F_BsfbQSSK79sKwm2uNxRwFHYcvCTy9FWY5r58UBFaD3c95wViSKkrTqkDvnYQMzeB=w526-h296-rw
r3rZaHdrUnwKXR1GnnWcKr8tqmudWtMOz-pBPsreBoSja3ibUrd9IKVVgBkhZayq2djE=w526-h296-rw
yR34uckYBgwsr_lb49DaJ0Qos1OIDDQKREZ9EgnDNcHRJrdH8kMurhRGnCvPyXvwaDA=w526-h296-rw
Oh yeah, now this is the fucking shit I'm talking about, baby. Multiple, different layers of character progression, many many different classes with their own immediate quirks and weak spots, so many rooms for experimentation just from the classes and leveling system alone. The thing about this game is how "lethal" it is, in that you can easily die from not paying attention to a projectile flying your way; the game also emphasizes the most on "scaling", the enemy's stats will, naturally, increases exponentially as time goes on, and so you need to match the game's pace and scale your stats appropriately if you want to survive. Some people might not like it that way, but personally I think it's what sets the game apart. I often turns off the numbers showing on-screen because I'm used to that other certain game I've mentioned, but here even though there's no option to turn off the numbers, I'll be keeping the numbers up because it's just that important to know the overall progression. Also, there are no limit on how many artifacts you can carry at a time; the exact same artifacts can drop again and again, thus adding to its effect. This might seem like it made the choice of artifacts meaningless since you can just pick them all, but in practice this is crucial due to the aforementioned "lethal" and "scaling" nature of the game.
The game is still on 'early access' (and so there are no reviews atm), and that might be the reason for the current state of the game's monetization; there are no microtransaction for now (even though there are a LOT of stuff to buy from the main menu, and the costs gets progressively higher and higher), the only time mandatory ads would play is when you die, and sometimes the game will generate an opportunity for some free rewards, either in form of resources (that you can use to buy upgrades from main menu or the ones needed to upgrade your character in-game), artifacts, or free skill point, at the cost of watching ads, but these are entirely optional if you think you don't need the free rewards.
And, most importantly, the devs just keeps on adding things with each and new update, instead of deciding that no fun is allowed and remove stuff, like certain other devs.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
Wait why are people saying Vampire Survivors is original? This is just a common fantasy bullet hell type game. Realm of the Mad God is a more well known game that is very similar but there are less well known ones that are more exact matches. I'm sure I played half a dozen flash games with a similar concept also.

Are people just applying extremely specific filters when they claim the game is "the first"? Maybe it popularized it to younger people ala Minecraft vs Infiniminer?

BrotherFrank

Nouveau Riche
Patron
I figured the difference between a bullet hell and a VS like is in the case of the latter YOU are the bullet hell boss and it’s on the enemy to push through your sea of dakka to give you a good thumping.

Black Angel

Arcane
I figured the difference between a bullet hell and a VS like is in the case of the latter YOU are the bullet hell boss and it’s on the enemy to push through your sea of dakka to give you a good thumping.
This. Magic Survival, the game that inspired Vampire Survivors have absolutely zero projectiles coming from the enemies since they're all strictly melee who rush at you, so it's the farthest thing from a traditional bullet hell while still reminiscence of that genre, or perhaps we can say it's a twist on traditional bullet hell mechanic.

Realm of the Mad God is a more well known game that is very similar but there are less well known ones that are more exact matches.
I haven't played RotMG, but since it's a game that came out long before Magic Survival, I'd assume RotMG has "traditional" control where you press some buttons to attack. Magic Survival and all the games inspired by it, however, does not have a control scheme for attacking. All the magic spells/weapons automatically casts/swings/shoots themselves without player's input whatsoever. The only active control is for moving around, to dodge enemies coming at you and also maybe positioning yourself so certain spells/weapons can deal maximum damage output. This alone establish completely different dynamic to just about any other game, while reminiscence of a bullet hell game but rather than avoiding projectiles, you're avoiding the enemies trying to body you and also being the only entity to shoot out projectile on auto-pilot.

Peachcurl

Cipher
Okay, I thought about buying the DLC; then I read he hired that Sterling guy.

Spent my money on Army of Ruin and Beautiful Mystic Survivors instead. The latter is a bit cringe as the title suggests, but graphics are nice in both cases, and there's some decent deviations from the 'original'. I don't mind pixel art in my games in general, but for any game that has so much stuff going on, I'd rather not look at edgy pixels.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
This. Magic Survival, the game that inspired Vampire Survivors have absolutely zero projectiles coming from the enemies since they're all strictly melee who rush at you, so it's the farthest thing from a traditional bullet hell while still reminiscence of that genre, or perhaps we can say it's a twist on traditional bullet hell mechanic.

Realm of the Mad God is a more well known game that is very similar but there are less well known ones that are more exact matches.
I haven't played RotMG, but since it's a game that came out long before Magic Survival, I'd assume RotMG has "traditional" control where you press some buttons to attack. Magic Survival and all the games inspired by it, however, does not have a control scheme for attacking. All the magic spells/weapons automatically casts/swings/shoots themselves without player's input whatsoever. The only active control is for moving around, to dodge enemies coming at you and also maybe positioning yourself so certain spells/weapons can deal maximum damage output. This alone establish completely different dynamic to just about any other game, while reminiscence of a bullet hell game but rather than avoiding projectiles, you're avoiding the enemies trying to body you and also being the only entity to shoot out projectile on auto-pilot.
I believe RotMG, but it has been a long time and maybe I'm thinking of a different game, and several of the space themed games I'm thinking of, do have manual abilities but they also have non-manual ones that go off on a timer like VS. The experience of running around while automatic attacks fire is definitely one I've had many years ago. But perhaps not purely automatic? Maybe the enemies all being melee *is* a unique feature though?

I just don't feel like that counts as a whole new genre which needs a "-like" designation.

Acrux

Arcane
There's a new Trans-pire Survivors DLC that came out yesterday. Apparently, there are new Steam achievements connected to this DLC and some people who have an unhealthy obsession with "muh 100% completion rates" are complaining about it.

Here's the dev's response. It is not ironic BTW:

Screenshot-2023-04-11-200919.jpg

Caim

Arcane
On one hand, I don't like companies milking their customers for cash.

Also, lmao @ not paying $2 for more of a game you enjoyed enough to 100%.

Jvegi

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I am done wirh thos game, even without unlocking everything.

I was also playing on the pirated copy and unless there is a way to transfer my saves to the upgraded version, I'm not going through the grind again.

Justinian

Arcane
Developer
I made a VS clone. If anyone wants a free key let me know, I still have some left.

You'll need to hire a house troon (court troon?) if you want to get the big bucks.

My game barely has any story elements. You have to read the description on the steam page to even know what's going on. The level descriptions and brief dialogues when you unlock a secret monster class are about as far as it gets.
powDSXk.png

Sukhāvatī

a.k.a. Mañjuśṛī
Patron
The other Vampire Survivors news we wanted to share is that we are working on an animated series!

Because we're a small company and barely have any idea about how to make games, not to mention TV shows, we are partnering up with a company called Story Kitchen (their team includes Derek Kolstad, who is the writer/creator of John Wick, and Dmitri M. Johnson, who produced the Sonic films) to make the Vampire Survivors show.

As we all know, the most important thing in Vampire Survivors has always been the story, so we are very excited for this and we hope you are too! It’s still early days for the show, but I can already say that we will be involved so that we can ensure it doesn’t have any vampires (probably) and they will only cast the finest garlic (will work with the world’s best garlic producers).

Caim

Arcane
The other Vampire Survivors news we wanted to share is that we are working on an animated series!

Because we're a small company and barely have any idea about how to make games, not to mention TV shows, we are partnering up with a company called Story Kitchen (their team includes Derek Kolstad, who is the writer/creator of John Wick, and Dmitri M. Johnson, who produced the Sonic films) to make the Vampire Survivors show.

As we all know, the most important thing in Vampire Survivors has always been the story, so we are very excited for this and we hope you are too! It’s still early days for the show, but I can already say that we will be involved so that we can ensure it doesn’t have any vampires (probably) and they will only cast the finest garlic (will work with the world’s best garlic producers).
Nintendo: We won't air the Porygon episode ever again because it gave kids seizures due to flashing lights.
Story Kitchen: Hold my beer.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom