Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Vampire: The Masquerade retrospective article at Hardcore Gaming 101

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Probably in a PnP session, but this is a video game adaptation. If betraying the setting makes the game better, then I say go for it. What counts is the end result.
It doesn't really make the game better, it's just forcing a different type of setting through the same old CRPG approach.

I don't know what CRPG devs have against personal, low-key storylines. Sure, marketing demands and all that, but it can't all be blamed on publishers, just look at kickstarter games.

Clockwork Knight
most of my favourite rpgs have dog turd combat. Arcanum being the most appropriate example. In such a case rather than having to slog through battles trying to be tacticool and taking a few minutes of my time, I would rather just cheese through with stun+backstab+time ap spells.

In other words,

If I have to traverse through dog turd (shitty combat) to get some real food (solid non combat gameplay like world building for example), I would rather run through it quickly in seconds rather than swim and wallow in it for hours.

Although I wouldn't say no to something like Dark Souls. More cources of real food to enjoy.

crawlkill

Kill all boxed game owners. Kill! Kill!
I started playing Bloodlines recently, but the end of the first chapter really turned me off: being unavoidably captured, then rescued at the last moment by the DM Storyteller's Favorite NPC Who Is More Awesome Than You. It's like they read all the advice on how to be a good DM/GM/Storyteller/whatever, then laughed and decided to deliberately do the opposite.

it's a pretty weak beat, yeah. and an unskippable cutscene! I tend to get up to take a piss when I hit that point. Nines in general is irritating, and he tends to be involved in the most "what the fuck I would not have done X why didn't I just say Y" railroady moments. but the game as a whole, if you can put up with the turrible combat and the ever-weaker level design, is worth seeing through.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Bloodlines XP with its skill book system and free upgrades can be gamed to a ridiculous amount even more with the 'university' which caramilla edition adds (exchanges money for skills, which makes money not fucking useless).
So not getting enough combat skills for the sewers is dumb. You can be a god with almost all filled stuff and a full discipline or two.
The disadvantage is actually not investing until you get to the limit of the free upgrade threshold or get the opportunity for the upgrade, which is painful during early game and is degenerate metagame gameplay.

I love degeneracy

crawlkill

Kill all boxed game owners. Kill! Kill!
Bloodlines XP with its skill book system and free upgrades can be gamed to a ridiculous amount even more with the 'university' which caramilla edition adds (exchanges money for skills, which makes money not fucking useless).
So not getting enough combat skills for the sewers is dumb. You can be a god with almost all filled stuff and a full discipline or two.
The disadvantage is actually not investing until you get to the limit of the free upgrade threshold or get the opportunity for the upgrade, which is painful during early game and is degenerate metagame gameplay.

I love degeneracy

that's the way I play, but only because the game's become ritual to me. in a sensible world a book or quest skill boost reward you've already bought the skill for would just give you the xp that that skill would've cost you. obliterates metagaming and makes books and the already-appealing academics skill more attractive in one swoop.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom