Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Void Destroyer 2

ShaggyMoose

Savant
Are you referring just to campaign missions, or are you still participating in random battles? I am hoping I don't have to babysit my fleets in random battles, but from what I have heard in the forums Outsider fleets will totally roll yours no matter how many ships you have.

If you are going to restart, maybe pick up the DLC that has a bunch of new ships for use in sandbox mode to keep things a bit fresher?

ArchAngel

Arcane
Are you referring just to campaign missions, or are you still participating in random battles? I am hoping I don't have to babysit my fleets in random battles, but from what I have heard in the forums Outsider fleets will totally roll yours no matter how many ships you have.

If you are going to restart, maybe pick up the DLC that has a bunch of new ships for use in sandbox mode to keep things a bit fresher?
Considering I had to go to war vs Outsiders and TSF I have endless base defenses and those are always same. And you cannot afford having fleets outside your main because Outsiders take out most civilian bases so you go no trading going on.
But they never conquer bases, only block them. So when you free them you can trade for a bit until new Outsider fleet comes (they got endless ones if you don't prioritize story missions).

ShaggyMoose

Savant
Yeah, that sounds a bit apocalyptic. Not sure I will play the game to its conclusion, or at least try to keep a save before it all goes to hell.

I finally got together enough capture ships and have been rolling around capturing KillJoys, which has been fun. Racers and KillJoys caused me a lot of trouble in the early game, so its very cathartic.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Yeah, that sounds a bit apocalyptic. Not sure I will play the game to its conclusion, or at least try to keep a save before it all goes to hell.

I finally got together enough capture ships and have been rolling around capturing KillJoys, which has been fun. Racers and KillJoys caused me a lot of trouble in the early game, so its very cathartic.
Due to how fleet limits work (number of ships per class instead of some value) ships like Killjoys are waste of space. You always take best ships you can get for that class (heavy version) or your battles are not going to go well. This goes double for autocombat where life of ships is one of the main factors when determining who wins. The whole fleets part of the game needed more time in the oven.
For "one" guy project it is still very good, it is just not M&B in space level.

Last edited:

ArchAngel

Arcane
Eh, I am again having fun when I don't need to manage bases, big fleets and stuff :D
I put my main hangar at one of the Reborn bases and got few Tugs hauling asteroids to both of their bases for good profits. Trading will not work when half the map hates me :D
There is a TSF base near edge of corner behind Reborn bases that I plan to grab at some point and use as my base and to give me access to all the TSF tech (which are best ships). But I need to get rich by then. For now I am going to have a fleet of Tugs to mine everything and I plan to do a lot of ship stealing in the meantime. Reborn got a Frigate with 5 ship stealing craft and Corvettes with 2 and they are all reusable when you dock at bases.
I am just working toward 6 reputation with Reborn so I can buy that Frigate.
I already tried to steal some TSF transport ships but they just outran my boarding craft, not sure how I am going to get those :D
So far I am stealing any enemy corvettes I find. Enemy Frigates are much much harder, including big transport or mining ships. You need like 15 boarding craft to capture one of those.. or a group of crew killing ammo Fighter or Gunships but only TSF seems to have that upgrade and I can only get their ships at Black Market when they appear there and they are much more expensive.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Anyone knows a good similar game to this one?
I would love to play one that is more complete and less buggy.
I looked at Star Sector but it also seems unfinished and Avorion has you creating your own craft from zero which is something I never cared about.

Alpharius

Scholar
Played this too for a while, was not bad at first but after i've got myself a corvette and some fleet it all went downhill.

In a non-overworld fight the AI fleets will lose pretty much every time agains't player fleets due to active and passive upgrades which the AI doesn't have. Amor plating for every ship seems like a nobrainer, costs next to nothing and significantly decreases received damage from enemy light guns (like 30-70%).
Bough some boarding ships from black market and started capturing frigates & other boarding ships. So pretty much every fight have gone like: pull all the boarding ships back so that they are not killed, let the fighters and gunships do their thing, slaughter the enemy big ships using the main ship except for the ones i intend to capture. After everything else is dead, attack the big ships using fighters with crew killer ammo then board them. ??? profit.
Enemy fleets pose little threat even to a player controlled corvette with active abilities (like 3 different abilities to quickly get out of range, auto repair, reset cooldowns). In a frigate i rarely had to flee, in a destroyer i just press the auto repair once in a while and don't even have to move + destroyer gets a "mind control enemy frigate" ability.

Also destroyed both story corvette and destroyer on the first try because they didn't try to attack me for some reason when i was shooting them from max range, they just held their position. So i jammed the right mouse button and gone to make some tea.

The UI is fucking atrocious, both the strategic one and tactical one. Every simple thing will require 10 clicks and then lead to unintended consequences.

Wanted to make a "boarding fleet" and "combat fleet" and switch between the two depending on the mission. But of course it turned out that in order to do that i have to detach all ships from the current fleet one by one, then make the other fleet join my main ship, then create a new fleet from one of the ships (because of course when you remove 10 ships from the fleet they go to the global map as 10 separate ships not as a new fleet) and then select all the ships that i detached and make them join the new fleet. Then do the same again when i want to switch my main ship back to the other fleet.
:negative:

Also i've found the "remote interface" feature after i've captured the first base which lets one control any owned ship on the map in a ship mode. It turned out that in order to use it one has to close all the windows after docking to the station which allows to walk in first person around the base using wsad and then there is this big red door that opens on approach. :hahano: Never would have found it without google. But of course you can't control the currently docked fleet like that, cant take missions and can't order ships built on global map. So not very useful.

Its only possible to order ships built at a certain non-controlled station by docking with that station. For controlled stations one still has to dock but its possible to order ships at other controlled station. So strategy much wow.

Anyone knows a good similar game to this one?
I would love to play one that is more complete and less buggy.
I looked at Star Sector but it also seems unfinished and Avorion has you creating your own craft from zero which is something I never cared about.

Maybe Space pirates and zombies. The first one is more story driven and 2d and the second one is more sanboxy and 3d.
No trading, base and fleet management there though, so not so similar. You only control one mobile base and may have a maximum of 3 AI controlled ships helping you (which are largely useless except for having the AI mine asteroids for a hour of real time to grind money) in spaz 1.
Not entirely sure about the spaz 2 but i didn't like it much so i dropped it quickly. There is a ship constructor there though, like you have these blocks of engines, reactors, weapons, hangars, special systems etc and you may combine them any way you want, limited by hull stability or something. These blocks were bought and sold separately at friendly stations and one could even saw some off the enemy ships.

So far I am stealing any enemy corvettes I find. Enemy Frigates are much much harder, including big transport or mining ships. You need like 15 boarding craft to capture one of those.. or a group of crew killing ammo Fighter or Gunships but only TSF seems to have that upgrade and I can only get their ships at Black Market when they appear there and they are much more expensive.
I've upgraded all my fighters and gunships with crew killer ammo, i think it depends on the station at which you are doing the upgrades, not on the faction to which the ship belongs. Done it to pride, kind, and beggar ships. Black market should be doing them.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I can give Crew Killer ammo to all fighters I have but I could not to all my gunships. Only Ray(TSF) and Pride ships I bought from black market could have it. I got a bunch of Wraths (Reborn) but it is not available to them.

As for stealing, I was able to steal TSF's Victory (Destroyer). Now I need to steal two more and then I can try to take over their base that is guarded by a fleet of 50 ships lead by a Cruiser.
I am running around with 3 stealing Frigates and 10 stealing Corvettes until I am able to do this :D

But for some reason Reborn base I am operating around has collected a lot of Pride fleets now and they come with like 70 fighters and 30 gunships lol. I tried to fight them and they kill all my fighters and gunships and then my bigger ships cannot kill them lol.

ShaggyMoose

Savant
Due to how fleet limits work (number of ships per class instead of some value) ships like Killjoys are waste of space. You always take best ships you can get for that class (heavy version) or your battles are not going to go well.
They are okay for padding out a fleet in ship mode, especially if you use the multi-fleet tactic. But yeah, they aren't great frigates.

ShaggyMoose

Savant
But for some reason Reborn base I am operating around has collected a lot of Pride fleets now and they come with like 70 fighters and 30 gunships lol. I tried to fight them and they kill all my fighters and gunships and then my bigger ships cannot kill them lol.
I assume you are at war with the Pride? Can you whittle them down on overworld mode with corvettes? They seem to destroy fighters and gunships without much trouble in that mode.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Due to how fleet limits work (number of ships per class instead of some value) ships like Killjoys are waste of space. You always take best ships you can get for that class (heavy version) or your battles are not going to go well.
They are okay for padding out a fleet in ship mode, especially if you use the multi-fleet tactic. But yeah, they aren't great frigates.
You don't need multiple fleets, you can just turn off reserve system.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I assume you are at war with the Pride? Can you whittle them down on overworld mode with corvettes? They seem to destroy fighters and gunships without much trouble in that mode.
I just came at them with more ships and lots more fighters and gunships. Once you clear the original 20 fighters and 15 gunships others spawn in small numbers and die fast.

ShaggyMoose

Savant
I found that sometimes the game would become a slideshow when I did that...

ArchAngel

Arcane
I found that sometimes the game would become a slideshow when I did that...
Yes but it is not much different if you have multiple fleets. But at least you don't need to control multiple fleets this way.

ShaggyMoose

Savant
Still playing this, now at 120 hours or so. The game turns from somewhat relaxing to a full-on shit show post one of the story missions though and has became quite stressful for me. I am perservering just to finish it off, but the reliance on participating in every battle to get a decent outcome is wearing thin. Overall I still find this a great game and it could have been a fantastic one with another few passes on the interface.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Still playing this, now at 120 hours or so. The game turns from somewhat relaxing to a full-on shit show post one of the story missions though and has became quite stressful for me. I am perservering just to finish it off, but the reliance on participating in every battle to get a decent outcome is wearing thin. Overall I still find this a great game and it could have been a fantastic one with another few passes on the interface.
I quit story mode and just played sandbox from the start. More fun but once I reached endgame with many units on screen I just got fed up with too many crashes so uninstalled it.

ShaggyMoose

Savant
I am still experiencing occasional crashes, but nothing reproducible... Unlike yourself and others, I am yet to suffer crashes during large battles. Hopefully it stays that way!

ArchAngel

Arcane
I am still experiencing occasional crashes, but nothing reproducible... Unlike yourself and others, I am yet to suffer crashes during large battles. Hopefully it stays that way!
How large are your large battles? Do you have Biggest ships available and full of all other smaller ships? Enemy also comes into battles with everything?

I does not start until large battles become really Large. And it does not happen all the time. But even 2-3 times per play session become more than I was willing to suffer anymore. Big battles were only thing to do at this point of the game and then needing to redo some of them when each can last a while became too irritating.

ShaggyMoose

Savant
I am fighting against base defense fleets with approximately double the allowed ships (unlocked fleet cap). This includes carriers and destroyers, but no cruisers. Performance can sometimes tank down to 30 FPS, but no crashes yet... Most of my crashes occur going into ship mode, which is far better than coming out of it...

ArchAngel

Arcane
I am fighting against base defense fleets with approximately double the allowed ships (unlocked fleet cap). This includes carriers and destroyers, but no cruisers. Performance can sometimes tank down to 30 FPS, but no crashes yet... Most of my crashes occur going into ship mode, which is far better than coming out of it...
That happened to me as well. I would sometimes go into ship mode shortly to optimize actions of some capital ships and it would freeze.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom