Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Voxel Quest - voxel-based roguelike RPG and engine

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
http://www.voxelquest.com/news/every-version-of-voxel-quest-ever

Every Version of Voxel Quest, Ever

I released the first version of VQ a while ago, but have not since done much with the other versions. I had been debating what to do about the current situation of the VQ source. As I have probably said a million times at this point, my spare time is borderline non-existent these days between family and work obligations. There are three things I could do:
  1. Continue to sit on it and keep it private (bad)
  2. Release it all in its current state (not great, but better than nothing)
  3. Polish up a few select releases, make them git-friendly, etc. (best)
Obviously #3 would be ideal, but I don't know exactly when I will have enough spare time to go through that. In the meantime, I think doing #2 is better than waiting an arbitrary span of time for #3. I will be happy to link any git or other repositories people go through the trouble of making. So anyway, here it is:

Edit 2: simcop2387 has kindly put it all in a repository here and bsagdiyev made this bittorrent magnet:?xt=urn:btih:e52b16bdf2eda8b678d5104517dba6ba05fb6089&dn=vqfiles

Edit: use this Dropbox link instead of the one below to get all files. (As of this edit at 11/5/2016 7:50 PST files are still uploading, so give it some time)

Every single snapshot of Voxel Quest (Google Drive link, limited to versions under 20 mb)

All of this code is being released under the zlib license (alternate licenses available on request). Any third party code or libraries used fall under their respective licenses, although from what I recall every third party resource also falls under a liberal license. The one exception is the bitmap resources used (sprites, icons, etc). These free for your personal use but you must buy the corresponding files from 7soul (AKA Henrique Lazarini) if you plan to publish anything (the RPG sprite and monster packs).

I have also included some very old versions of the source, dating back to stuff seen on gavanw.com, long before VQ even had a name.

Notes:
Some of the bigger snapshots contain all files (usually weighing in at around 70 mb or so), and the smaller ones (around 15-20mb) are just code and other resources. You can copy over resources from the nearest version and it will usually work, or just work with archives that contain all files. Note that you cannot use the same resource files between all versions, necessarily - sometimes the layout or structure of this data would change over time. If you really want to get it up and running fast, you can check out the binary or release folder in a big snapshot, which usually will contain an exe. Not all snapshots are stable. To find a stable snapshot for a particular date, I recommend looking at the videos and picking the date nearest to that of the Youtube publish date on the video. To find controls, which also change over time, you will have to look at the source (most of the time, controls can be found within the singleton file).

If you are opening up one of the newest versions (which use "real" voxels and are computed on the CPU, as seen in recent @voxelquest screenshots), you will have to press "t" to toggle the new render mode. Otherwise, you will be running the old render mode, while at the same time computing voxel chunks on the CPU and it will run slow as hell! To use the ray traced version, I personally recommend the release on or around early August 2015.

You can probably find some helpful notes in the isometric repository - not all will apply, but much of the information there is still relevant to other versions. If you have any missing dll's, its not really "best practice" but you can probably snag them from the iso release on itch.io. (Dump them in the binary folder)

Some older versions are designed to be build on Mac, I think around early 2013 and prior. The rest are designed to be built on Windows, but all versions are portable with a tiny bit of work.

Other notes: people keep telling me they don't want their money back, which is fine - I'm not going to force you to take it back. But I am still honoring my promise to return money to anyone who wishes (and the few who have requested have been paid back so far). Do not feel bad about asking for money back, I am more than happy to return it! You can reach me via Kickstarter, Twitter, or the contact form on this site if you would like a refund of any money that you put into VQ (through KS or otherwise).

One last note: I do not get notifications for the comments on this website, but I do try to read all comments from time to time. I will more likely respond to comments on other channels like Twitter or Youtube as those are easier to manage in a timely manner.

I may have left something out, please let me know if I am forgetting anything!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom