Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Want a refund for Simcity? Your account may be at risk!

Shadenuat

Arcane
From what I've heard and seen from the videos, Anthony could be right. Sim City 5 could actually be a clever little game with some interesting twists and micromanagement. Which just makes the whole thing more sad, as draconian DRM and terrible marketing and support digged a grave for that game and thrown it in there before people could even check out if developers put any effort in it.
What a mess.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Ahh I see, but there's 'cool' and there's 'cool'. Trespasser was pretty cool itself in what they tried to do with that game, the physics, dinosaur AI, interaction with the world, but as a game it was a horror show. One of the greatest examples of programming at the expense of gameplay or working within the limitations of technology to actually make something that works. Another game which tried this modelling behaviour was Republic: The Revolution. They spent so much time on the world that they forgot to make a game to go with it. I persevered and have a love/hate relationship with it only because of the setting which brings up all kinds of nostalgia and knowing in me.

Dead Guy

Cipher
It is pretty cool that they've managed to simulate every single sim as an entity, if you look at it separately.

But here's the thing. It wasn't necessary. There's no need to simulate on that detailed a level, it isn't The Sims, a Sim shouldn't have to go home if it needs to take a piss, because that shouldn't be intereseting when you're planning a city. I don't really get why people seem to think it's a great step that a power plant won't work until people have taken the bus to it and started working? What does that actually add to the game, after you've seen it for the first time and gone "Oh, I guess that's kind of neat, so now there's a slight delay until my buildings start working"? How does it affect city planning that was the backbone of this franchise? All it does is increase the "watch a fucking ass-boring cartoon" element from The Sims.

If that's what they use to defend their small city plots (and I'm sure they do), then they've got their head up their ass. It's no problem if they do simulate every single sim, but it is a problem when that detailed simulation becomes a limiting factor, when they have to make cuts into the core gameplay because it can't handle the fluff. Though that seems to be the modus operandi for this game I guess?

It's like having a total war game with regiments of 10 soldiers each because your graphics cards can't handle to process more of them because they're so detailed. But just ZOOMING IN and following them around the battlefield, watching them going about their killing, really makes you EMOTIONALLY ATTACHED to your soldiers.

I don't want to zoom in and stare at things. I want to build. :cry:

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
I wanna plan and built big cities like NYC or Mexico city not play Sims.
I think this is what's going to hurt the game in the long run. Eventually the server issues will be fixed so everyone can play when they want, but players will soon get bored of not being able to build anything larger than an extended neighbourhood.
I expect servers will mostly be empty by the end of next month.

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
Yeah, I'm not even going to consider playing this till they patch in an offline mode, remove the Origin requirements (wont happen), and remove the DRM.

They should have just called the game Sim Town or Sim Neighborhood too, taking into account the other huge error which is Town or Neighborhood sized cities. There goes my chance to make Houston, well except for in a real game like Sim City 2k or 3k.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Yeah, I'm not even going to consider playing this till they patch in an offline mode, remove the Origin requirements (wont happen), and remove the DRM.

They should have just called the game Sim Town or Sim Neighborhood too, taking into account the other huge error which is Town or Neighborhood sized cities. There goes my chance to make Houston, well except for in a real game like Sim City 2k or 3k.

Just get the RELOADED version....that will go down well, what with you being a dev and all.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I wanna plan and built big cities like NYC or Mexico city not play Sims.
I think this is what's going to hurt the game in the long run. Eventually the server issues will be fixed so everyone can play when they want, but players will soon get bored of not being able to build anything larger than an extended neighbourhood.
I expect servers will mostly be empty by the end of next month.
And that will fuck everyone, since you cannot delete cities on the server, and if you shared a region with other people and they abandon it, you'll be stuck with ghosts towns as neighbors forever... seriously, this game will be even worse to play in the next months than is today...

Angthoron

Arcane

Just get the RELOADED version....that will go down well, what with you being a dev and all.
Do let us know if they managed to fix Maxis' faults in server architecture.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

It is out yet?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom