Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter War for the Overworld - Dungeon Keeper clone

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
They're supposedly still working on Project Aftercare (sci-fi Theme Hospital-ish.)

Looking for a writer actually.

You will work with the narrative and design teams at Brightrock to write engaging comedic content inspired by the likes of Futurama and Rick and Morty. Joining an indie team means you will be involved in the creative process from top to bottom, seeing your vision through from page to gameplay!

• Work with our existing writer and design team to create fun comedic characters and mission stories within the universe already set out
  • Write quirky dialogues and choice-based events, which efficiently develop the characters, advance the plot, and support the gameplay

• A passion for strategy and simulation games like Dungeon Keeper, RollerCoaster Tycoon and Theme Hospital

*-*/\--/\~

Cipher
Does anyone know what happened to the DK2 rights after the demise of Bullfrog? It should not be a hard game to rebuild using some modern engine...

Shitposter
I'm looking for a Dungeon Keeper inspired game (which doesn't mean it needs to be a clone) which is also compelling game play wise.

Now that War for the Overworld has been out for a few years, has it turned into a good game?
Compared to Dungeons 3 or 2, which one of the three would you recommend more? Is there any other game I should be looking for?

I can NOT play Dungeons 2/3, despite trying many times.
It's way too much cringe meme reddit humor bullshit plus I have no interest in the half-assed WC3 rip-off overworld crap

DUNGEONS 1 (and the standalone xpac 'the dark lord') HOWEVER

despite having really bad reviews, is a GREAT dungeon building game
and you can grab both for like $1 when they go on sale.

The only problem with Dungeons 1 is that the UI doesn't scale well on a 4k res monitor but if you have a not-4k monitor you don't need to worry about that

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Fake news, dungeons is a pretty bad game. "Dungeon" building is basically just theme park building. You have to make sure the heroes who invade are happy so you get currency to spam doodads all over the map. After you build enough doodads, you win.

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014

I like this ending. It's pretty impressive how they can make horrible scenarios fun and cute.

They're slowly roasting a person over a fire, which if he's alive, is probably one of the most agonising ways to die.

They also transform a male knight into a naked female goblin. Presumably he'll be kept as a sex slave and raped continuously until he dies.

Shitposter
Fake news, dungeons is a pretty bad game. "Dungeon" building is basically just theme park building. You have to make sure the heroes who invade are happy so you get currency to spam doodads all over the map. After you build enough doodads, you win.
no it's fun!

Baron Dupek

Arcane
:necro:
They're still working on it? Instead of, I dunno, make something more DK-like before Richard Ridings leave our world?
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/230190/view/3183490131050642242
Patch 2.1 "Deeper Darker Dungeons" Release Notes - Dynamic Shadows, Visual Tone Update, Performance Improvements
Another performance update for another game made in Unity engine.
Thanks to feedback from the community we managed to isolate a few significant performance monsters in the UI. This should greatly improve the performance of the Main Menu but also parts of the in-game UI that are known to cause problems such as the units panel and veins of evil.
It was so bad even menu had issues? It remind me my first experience with PC games, that was more than two decades ago and it shouldn't happening...
Highlight - lights casts shadows now without tanking frames.
Tested it, was good enough to buy another expansion campaign, still have to finish previous two.

Thane Solus

Arcane
I'm looking for a Dungeon Keeper inspired game (which doesn't mean it needs to be a clone) which is also compelling game play wise.

Now that War for the Overworld has been out for a few years, has it turned into a good game?
Compared to Dungeons 3 or 2, which one of the three would you recommend more? Is there any other game I should be looking for?

I can NOT play Dungeons 2/3, despite trying many times.
It's way too much cringe meme reddit humor bullshit plus I have no interest in the half-assed WC3 rip-off overworld crap

DUNGEONS 1 (and the standalone xpac 'the dark lord') HOWEVER

and you can grab both for like $1 when they go on sale.

The only problem with Dungeons 1 is that the UI doesn't scale well on a 4k res monitor but if you have a not-4k monitor you don't need to worry about that

Yeah i tried them this year D2 and D3, while they competent made (Unity btw, very good performance compared to that POS Battletech, which i kept telling you guys that the engine is fine), they are extremely generic, and the fracking narrators in 3, make the game unplayable, due to non stop talking and the dumbest jokes i ever heard. Its like Reddit+tumblr+the unfunny women in comedy made the script. Its Awful! And of course they made a stupid woman hero that talks the dumbest shit in your dungeon. Good programmers, decent designers, bad UI and Product Managers.

Gona try D1 as well, i play Dungeon Keeper GOLD 1 keeperfx, makes the render pure D3D and looks pretty nice. On DK 2, need a better zoom out, the resolution is changed form regedit.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
They're still working on it?

I assume it's because the game keeps selling. It has 5500 reviews on steamu, which is pretty great for a game like this - a niche title that's never been a hit - and it also has a reputation for being a good dungeon keeper clone that's best picked up on sale, while basically appearing on every sale there is. It makes plenty of sense for them to keep working on it if that's the case.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Ah yes, Dungeons. A "good" game. But let's remember,that Kalypso's definition of a "good game" is drastically different from the rest of the world.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
None of the straight DK clones are good. If you want a fun game, you need to try titles that did something different with the formula (Majesty, Ghost Master, Evil Genius).

KateMicucci

Arcane
None of the straight DK clones are good. If you want a fun game, you need to try titles that did something different with the formula (Majesty, Ghost Master, Evil Genius).
Evil Genius (1) was more like a demo with a lot of time-wasting padding than a real game unfortunately. Unrealized potential.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom