Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Warhammer 40,000: Mechanicus - now with Heretek expansion

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
I haven't. How much of visual novel does it have, and how much of turn based stuff. I don't have anything against J aesthetics, but I don't like visual novels. I enjoyed Valkyria Chronicles if it helps.
I'd say it's 70% turn based combat, 25% character building and 5% visual novel. If you liked Valkyria Chronicles then the VN parts of Troubleshooter should be ok.

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
I tried to make the game harder by turning on Disciplined mode (only one class line per techpriest), which caps your techpriests at a low level, and also the setting that limits you to one copy of each wargear (which is not as big of a deal as I thought - there are a number of different weapons that sort of do the same thing). It did enhance the difficulty somewhat. This did erode eventually, and I suspect if I'd just rolled a straight Tech-Auxilium or Lexmechanic team it would have been very easy (instead I went with one of each discipline, minus xenarite), but it certainly was more challenging and engaging for much longer into the game than otherwise.
I tried it but I am not a fan of that solution. I could live without the extra skills from the other tech trees, but level capping your priests also means you don't get any new tech augmentation slots beyond level 10 and that feels really frustrating. Equipping your priests with powerful cyberware and weapons is half the fun in this game. With the disciplined mode, it's a pain to equip stuff that requires 3 slots because you'll have to get rid of so much else to free up the necessary space. I guess it introduces some extra challenge but in the wrong way imho.

I found that limiting skill use to once per battle is a neat option to increase tactical play while not being at odds with how the game should feel. Ironman + permadeath is definitely a must have though to keep the tension up at least somewhat.

spectre

Arcane
I agree, gutting the pimp-my-techpriest gameplay is self-defeating cause this system is what carries the gameplay.
There is a serious snowballing issue, endgame difficulty doesn't scale well against what a decent player can muster.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom