Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader Consequences Showcase

BrotherFrank

Nouveau Riche
Patron
I'm confused, why is there more then 2 axis of moralities? There should only be chad loyalist and filthy heretic and traitor to humanity.

The one time a binary mass effect style morality works fine in an rpg and they overthink it smh.

lvl 2 Blue Slime

Educated
I dunno, the idea of a choice-based RPG seems to conflict with a setting where everyone mindlessly follows orders to their deaths.

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
I dunno, the idea of a choice-based RPG seems to conflict with a setting where everyone mindlessly follows orders to their deaths.
From what i know in my limited knowhow of 40k , Rogue Traders are the one of the few entities in Warhammer that have some semblance of fredoom to act, only Inquistors have saying on what they do. So a RPG that's choice-based would only work with them.

TheDarkUrge

Educated
I wouldn't expect anything beyond the baseline that BioWare/Larian/Owlcat have created: cartoonish campaigns formulated for broad appeal.

Then don't talk out of your ass

It is the same old shit, you can tell from miles away

RPG decline is going to continue until people stop sugarcoating and start saying how it is

Look, I'm 100% onboard the codex bandwagon of "everything is shit and will never get better," but if you can't admit that something is simply mid instead of complete garbage, then it's just a circlejerk.
It’s not just Codex being Codex, no. The decline in games design is palpable. Simplification, fan catering, absolute impotence in regards of writing — it is everywhere. The majority of titles are being done by corporate minded people with little to no interest in games themselves. it’s not that there were times when profits were off the table, but for some reason back then people made games they themselves were religiously interested in, they were acts of creativity and imaginative powers beyond mere “products”. We were captivated by these games because they were created with this sole purpose to be captivating for both gamers and their creators. When I read Owlcat’s attempts at writing I cannot fucking believe someone who wrote it is captivated by any of these. It looks more like a cargo cult when people realize the overall template for the process of designing a game, but they struggle to understand the meaning of the process. There supposed to be quests, so they make them damn fucking quests. There supposed to be companions and so they make them damn companions. Everything does its job but there’s no magic, because nobody out there is interested in this. Not seeing this, buying these games is conforming to this reality and allowing the medium to deteriorate even further.
sorry but I'm not gonna pretend ultima is a good game and wrath of the righteous isn't

rogue trader has co-op too so it's already the GOAT like baldur's gate 3

SpaceWizardz

Liturgist
I'm confused, why is there more then 2 axis of moralities? There should only be chad loyalist and filthy heretic and traitor to humanity.

The one time a binary mass effect style morality works fine in an rpg and they overthink it smh.
Noblebright martyr figure and Grimdark uncompromising loyalist are both good fits.
Heretic being a clearly outlined path rather than a hidden mechanic or just a critical story choice is the bad part here, I still think the third rep should've been something mercenary/privateer themed especially since the other two paths already have some pretty clear Gotcha! options to later fuck with people taking things too far or just mindlessly clicking the tagged options.

Last edited:

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

The Imperialis conviction measures your fire-and-brimstone dedication to the God-Emperor, while Hereticus goes up when you prioritize power over morality and give in to the temptations of Chaos. Benevolentia increases if you act like individual human lives actually mean something—a controversial belief in the Imperium of Man.

From: https://www.pcgamer.com/warhammer-40000-rogue-trader-has-an-alignment-system-sort-of/

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
I still think the third rep should've been something mercenary/privateer themed especially since the other two paths already have some pretty clear Gotcha! options to later fuck with people taking things too far or just mindlessly clicking the tagged options.

Yeah, it's strange they didn't go with the greedy privateer path since it's the natural alternative.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I still think the third rep should've been something mercenary/privateer themed especially since the other two paths already have some pretty clear Gotcha! options to later fuck with people taking things too far or just mindlessly clicking the tagged options.

Yeah, it's strange they didn't go with the greedy privateer path since it's the natural alternative.

I'm guessing they wanted a clear "good guy" alternative.

rubinstein

Educated
So you aren't going to play Rogue Trader?
i am not only going to play it, but on the day of the release i will turn into a "rogue trader" myself, with bigger emphasis on "rogue", to make the experience with the game even more immersive.

Last edited:

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
luj1 doesn't just pre-order his games, he spends weeks before their releases shit-talking them on RPG Codex attempting to preemptively hide his tracks.

Very impressive dedication to the hobby, my man.

I wouldn't expect anything beyond the baseline that BioWare/Larian/Owlcat have created: cartoonish campaigns formulated for broad appeal.

Then don't talk out of your ass

It is the same old shit, you can tell from miles away

RPG decline is going to continue until people stop sugarcoating and start saying how it is

Look, I'm 100% onboard the codex bandwagon of "everything is shit and will never get better," but if you can't admit that something is simply mid instead of complete garbage, then it's just a circlejerk.
It’s not just Codex being Codex, no. The decline in games design is palpable. Simplification, fan catering, absolute impotence in regards of writing — it is everywhere. The majority of titles are being done by corporate minded people with little to no interest in games themselves. it’s not that there were times when profits were off the table, but for some reason back then people made games they themselves were religiously interested in, they were acts of creativity and imaginative powers beyond mere “products”. We were captivated by these games because they were created with this sole purpose to be captivating for both gamers and their creators. When I read Owlcat’s attempts at writing I cannot fucking believe someone who wrote it is captivated by any of these. It looks more like a cargo cult when people realize the overall template for the process of designing a game, but they struggle to understand the meaning of the process. There supposed to be quests, so they make them damn fucking quests. There supposed to be companions and so they make them damn companions. Everything does its job but there’s no magic, because nobody out there is interested in this. Not seeing this, buying these games is conforming to this reality and allowing the medium to deteriorate even further.

Agree. Some relatively modern games with that magic (or at least some of it):

Kingdom Come: Deliverance, Witcher 3, Tears of the Kingdom/Breath of the Wild, Shadowrun: Dragonfall, Expeditions: Viking, ELEX, Days Gone, Subnautica, Metro Exodus.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
RPG decline is going to continue until people stop sugarcoating and start saying it how it is.
Ftfy.

We've been saying it how it is here for 20 years. Hasn't stopped devs from taking us to new lows.

Owlcuck loves trannies, and their biggest competitors are a bunch of Belgian bear-sex perverts and a Polish studio that made sure to put trannies dicks on building-sized ads in their game.

Whom do you expect to save us from this exactly? Bioware, after Mass Effect: Androgynous? Obsidian - the guys who made a Fallout knockoff in space, where every character was an SJW?

Things are not looking up.

Kiste

Augur
Owlcuck loves trannies, and their biggest competitors are a bunch of Belgian bear-sex perverts and a Polish studio that made sure to put trannies dicks on building-sized ads in their game.

Isn't Slaanesh some sort of non-binary, gender-fluid, androgynous snowflake? WH40k seems like a good fit for Owlcat.

Irxy

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Is it? Rogue traders are the greedy privateers by default, there is no need for a separate path for that because it is the basis of your character.
The paths just define what type of a greedy privateer are you - a softy, an imperial conformist (believer, fanatic) or a power above all (free thinker) type. Basically the Good, the Lawful and the Chaotic.

Irxy

Arcane
Project: Eternity
That would be boring and feel limited and artificial.
It would be much better to actually show why there is no good in this universe - let you try be the good guy, but all such aspirations should eventually fail and lead to the greater bad.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom