Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader - turn-based Warhammer 40k RPG from Owlcat Games

notpl

Arbiter
You just don't spam high psyker abilities and don't let the veil degradation gauge get too far. And later you take psyker perks that help with maintaining a veil and also a navigator ability that lowers it a lot.
Though I think that this mechanic is broken too because I had some daemons pop up here and there in chapters 1-2 but afterwards I didn't have it happen once, even in the fights where you are forced to fight with high veil degradation due to a lot of cultists or daemon invasion shit.
Again, with Indira veil levels do not matter. She is unsanctioned and can get worst effects at any level. In my two battles she died and summoned deamons on turns 1 and 2 while being undamaged with low veil level.
In comparison in my Dogmatic run Heinrix never got something like that to happen and I was happy spamming all his Psyker abilities each turn on all veil levels. Worst thing to happen to him was a knock down. This is through whole game and all 100+ battles during it.
With Indira as soon as I hit Act 2, in first 5 battles, 2 Daemon summons?!
There are no "worst effects." There're only two possibilities: psychic phenomena (which do nothing but lower morale slightly) and perils of the warp, which always have the potential to summon demons or pronate your whole team. Idira has a 5% chance to trigger the latter any time she uses any power, Heinrix can trigger the latter by using a major psyker power when degradation is above 15. That's it, that's the whole system.

Like nearly everything else in the game Owlcat just made up the numbers on the spot with zero thought for the realities of gameplay. 5% is an absurdly high percentage for anything in an RPG - it essentially guarantees it will happen multiple times every single combat. It should have been 0.02% or something.
There are worst effects because Heinrix never turned into a demon even when using major powers on highest veil levels.
Even knocking everyone prone in AoE is already nasty, turning into a Demon should be a huge deal. It should happen for Indira once per playthrough and it should get immediate sequence after battle where Heinrix, Ulfar or Argenta want to kill her (probably even two Eldar) and you get a dogmatic option to accept it. That is a fucking bigger deal than that stupid ship sequence where she trust warp entity that looks like Theodora.. that is less that summoning Demons in the middle of a life or death battle
Total random chance, Heinrix doesn't have any more or less of a chance to spawn demons specifically than Idira does. Perils are rolled on the same table no matter who generates them. Again, there are only three possibilities when using a psyker power: nothing, psychic phenomena (still basically nothing), and perils of the warp. The latter include demon summoning, instant death for the user, a small amount of damage for every unit on screen, and a tremor that pronates the whole party sometimes and does fuck-all nothing at others.

And there is no "turn into a demon" peril, you're just seeing her summon a demon while also being knocked unconscious from peril damage or the free attack the demon got when it spawned.
This is not true Idira has 2x greater chance of causing effects than Sanctioned Psyker.
can you hear me sighing through the computer

Stoned Ape

Savant
Look up Unsanctioned Psyker on her character sheet. It means having a 5% chance of having to roll for perils every time she uses a power, regardless of the veil level.

If you really want her in the party in an Iconoclast run and don't want lol demon attacks out of nowhere, I'd suggest building her to rely on her non-psyker operative skills instead of her powers.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Look up Unsanctioned Psyker on her character sheet. It means having a 5% chance of having to roll for perils every time she uses a power, regardless of the veil level.

If you really want her in the party in an Iconoclast run and don't want lol demon attacks out of nowhere, I'd suggest building her to rely on her non-psyker operative skills instead of her powers.
So far I am using her more as a buffer/debuffer with focus on Operator debuffs and Grand Strategist Buffs. And I took two psyker powers that buff others and blinding one that debuffs enemies as well as talents that additionally buff allies or debuff enemies. If turning in Demons becomes so common I need to reload too often I think I will just make a mercenary to do the same thing she is doing atm. And I can even go dogmatic with that one to use the +2 Psi power helmet. Since it is Merc he will not care at all about my Iconoclast choices.

EDIT: But it is a shame game would force me to use a merc because of this badly designed mechanic.

Last edited:

kangaxx

Arbiter
I stopped playing after the Act 1 boss fight because I started getting a strong sense of deja vu from Owlcat's other two games. Is this game any shorter than them, and do things improve post-Act 1?

Harthwain

Magister
I stopped playing after the Act 1 boss fight because I started getting a strong sense of deja vu from Owlcat's other two games. Is this game any shorter than them, and do things improve post-Act 1?
I have 142 hours and I am at the beginning of Act 4.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Behold the full Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader music OST video! Add it to your playlist so you don't lose it! Let the epic Warhammer 40,000 music help you on your everyday adventures and boss fights!

00:00:00 01 - Pawel Perepelica - Semper Servientes (Main Theme)
00:02:19 02 - Dmitry V. Silantyev - The Imperium
00:04:11 03 - Dmitry V. Silantyev - Beyond the Nightmare
00:06:25 04 - Nikolay Filipovich - The Benevolent Triumph
00:08:41 05 - Vsevolod Borisov - Magnae Accessio
00:10:54 06 - Pawel Perepelica - Voidborn
00:12:39 07 - Pawel Perepelica - Scuffle on the Deck
00:16:48 08 - Pawel Perepelica - Darkness Between the Stars
00:18:56 09 - Nikolay Filipovich - Ancient Mystery
00:21:05 10 - Pawel Perepelica - Dirge for the Fallen
00:23:03 11 - Pavel Lipski - Death of a Legend
00:25:06 12 - Pawel Perepelica - The Expanse
00:26:57 13 - Pawel Perepelica - Boarded
00:30:25 14 - Pawel Perepelica - Absolution
00:32:19 15 - Dmitry V. Silantyev - The Veil Is Broken
00:35:47 16 - Dmitry V. Silantyev - Precipice of Damnation
00:37:35 17 - Dmitry V. Silantyev - Edge of Daybreak
00:41:17 18 - Dmitry V. Silantyev - Whispers of the Changer
00:43:03 19 - Sergey Gorelov - Scions of Lorgar
00:46:12 20 - Dmitry V. Silantyev - Primordial Truth
00:48:14 21 - Pavel Lipski - The Empyrean Beckons
00:51:59 22 - Broojacker - Into the Thicket
00:54:10 23 - Broojacker - Isha’s Tears
00:55:53 24 - Pawel Perepelica - Janusian Fray
00:59:41 25 - Broojacker - Maiden World
01:01:34 26 - Pawel Perepelica - Wrath of the Lost
01:05:17 27 - Pawel Perepelica - Together We Stand
01:07:05 28 - Pawel Perepelica - Footfallen
01:09:03 29 - Pawel Perepelica - Martyr’s Endurance
01:10:43 30 - Pawel Perepelica - Dock Alpha-Rho Skirmish
01:14:20 31 - Pawel Perepelica - Shadow Quarters
01:16:03 32 - Pawel Perepelica - Hanged Man's Lot
01:20:06 33 - Pawel Perepelica - Liege’s Hand
01:22:07 34 - Nikolay Filipovich - Sparks in the Dark
01:24:22 35 - Dmitry V. Silantyev - Our Endless March
01:26:06 36 - Dmitry V. Silantyev - Blood of the Faithful
01:29:13 37 - Dmitry V. Silantyev - Spires of the Hive
01:30:49 38 - Dmitry V. Silantyev - Imperium’s Bastion
01:33:54 39 - Nikolay Filipovich - Shadows of Commorragh
01:35:50 40 - Nikolay Filipovich - Wyches’ Grounds
01:38:47 41 - Nikolay Filipovich - Blades in the Void
01:40:40 42 - Nikolay Filipovich - The Chasm
01:43:42 43 - Nikolay Filipovich - Light of Stolen Stars
01:46:00 44 - Nikolay Filipovich - Reaving Tempest
01:49:23 45 - Vsevolod Borisov - Howl of the Wastes
01:51:12 46 - Vsevolod Borisov - Impending Storm
01:53:17 47 - Vsevolod Borisov - Death’s Play
01:57:18 48 - Vsevolod Borisov - Icebound
01:59:17 49 - Vsevolod Borisov - The Maelstrom
02:03:05 50 - Pawel Perepelica - When the Stars Tremble
02:06:12 51 - Pawel Perepelica - Call of the Unknown
02:11:31 52 - Pawel Perepelica - Broadside Cannonade
02:14:33 53 - Nikola Nikita Jeremic - Planetfall
02:16:51 54 - Nikola Nikita Jeremic - Shadow of the Inevitable
02:19:44 55 - Nikola Nikita Jeremic - Barren
02:21:57 56 - Nikola Nikita Jeremic - Conqueror’s Demise
02:24:51 57 - Nikolay Filipovich - Clash of Convictions
02:27:02 58 - Pawel Perepelica - Adrift
02:31:40 59 - Broojacker - Void-Damned
02:35:34 60 - Pawel Perepelica - The Emergence
02:40:40 61 - Pavel Lipski - Ancient Dynasty
02:43:00 62 - Pavel Lipski - The Great Sleep Is Over
02:46:55 63 - Pavel Lipski - Curse of the Yekhmet
02:49:03 64 - Pavel Lipski - Annihilation
02:52:35 65 - Pavel Lipski - Depths of the Tomb
02:54:39 66 - Pawel Perepelica - Void Dragon
02:57:53 67 - Dmitry V. Silantyev - Nomos Are Here
03:00:26 68 - Nikolay Filipovich - Unfathomable
03:02:38 69 - Pawel Perepelica - End of the Journey

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Finished the game, it of course got bugged at outro and showed only the fate of RT, Inquisitor, Chorda, Winterscale - he of course fallen to Gayos cause game gave me only heretic choice to purge him and Xeno scum XD, and the good Reverent.

Nothing about companions, NOMOS also bugged before finale, Owlcuck, Owlcuck never changes, if game ended with coronation it would be 10/10 but after very dis-pointing nigger elves town, bugged 4th chapter and very anemic 5th one I rate it seven skulls out of ten cause it was still best of WH40K RPG*... which is not great achievement I know.

*Dawn of War II and Inquisitor Martyr had many RP game elements too of course but they were not of pure stock.

Soldiered on thanks to my RT and Argenta mostly the Pascal was useless as operative/bounty hunter and I did not wanted to take assassin cause its so over the top, Henrix was solid helps as Arch Militant also, the Space marine was another great disappointment, too fat to move around, can't use ladders and his gear sucked, He made 100 damage while my RT did 300-500 and Argenta shoot everybody to pieces with her heavy bolt gun, pure heresy.

Casia was officer with best sniper riffle to finish the stranglers and also of course buffing everybody.

Did not used witch after getting Herix, she got Emperor Mercy from my Sister, Elven bitch betrayed her kind, got option: ''When we are here I can shoot you too... Bam!, male elf got tortured to death by Inquisitor and I bet the nigger enjoyed it too, very wholesome game I expected sea of degeneracy after reading about Wratch.

Emperor Protects!

PS Played as Ministorium priest for added purging and scorching, named him Redeemer of course, death world, warrior, arch militant, the sword in one hand and pistol in other.

:timetoburn:

ArchAngel

Arcane
Finished the game, it of course got bugged at outro and showed only the fate of RT, Inquisitor, Chorda, Winterscale - he of course fallen to Gayos cause game gave me only heretic choice to purge him and Xeno scum XD, and the good Reverent.

Nothing about companions, NOMOS also bugged before finale, Owlcuck, Owlcuck never changes, if game ended with coronation it would be 10/10 but after very dis-pointing nigger elves town, bugged 4th chapter and very anemic 5th one I rate it seven skulls out of ten cause it was still best of WH40K RPG*... which is not great achievement I know.

*Dawn of War II and Inquisitor Martyr had many RP game elements too of course but they were not of pure stock.

Soldiered on thanks to my RT and Argenta mostly the Pascal was useless as operative/bounty hunter and I did not wanted to take assassin cause its so over the top, Henrix was solid helps as Arch Militant also, the Space marine was another great disappointment, too fat to move around, can't use ladders and his gear sucked, He made 100 damage while my RT did 300-500 and Argenta shoot everybody to pieces with her heavy bolt gun, pure heresy.

Casia was officer with best sniper riffle to finish the stranglers and also of course buffing everybody.

Did not used witch after getting Herix, she got Emperor Mercy from my Sister, Elven bitch betrayed her kind, got option: ''When we are here I can shoot you too... Bam!, male elf got tortured to death by Inquisitor and I bet the nigger enjoyed it too, very wholesome game I expected sea of degeneracy after reading about Wratch.

Emperor Protects!

PS Played as Ministorium priest for added purging and scorching, named him Redeemer of course, death world, warrior, arch militant, the sword in one hand and pistol in other.

:timetoburn:
If you give Ulfar Heavy Bolter he is almost as good as Argenta but yea, he has serius movement issues.
But considering SMs should be one level better than anyone else he is a bit of a dissapointment.
Truth is that burst fire and heavy burst weapons are broken, I made him into chain sword + plasma pistol concentrated fire machine and in Act 5 he could almost solo all the Necrons. He would receive some buffs from Cassia and be released upon them.
I tended to use just one or two characters plus Cassia in many battles for fun, it feels more badass if one characters goes through enemies and demolishes them all.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
GFYaCfFWAAAZBoO

Mortmal

Arcane
Who thought at owlcat that quetza temer forest was a coold idea and great design? I'd like to have a few words with him they/them.....

Harthwain

Magister
I am after The Great Judgement and... It's stupid.

Obviously I sided with Vladaym, because while he is a mob boss who is not above doing Cold Trade, he is much more reasonable person than Chorda. I got everybody's help (surprise, surprise), even Hieronymus Doloroso, Chorda's personal confessor. I managed to convince Chorda that was she did was insane and told her to judge herself, so she killed herself. Then Doloroso went beserk and attacked everybody. I reloaded and exiled Chorda instead and... Doloroso still goes beserk and tries to make Chorda into a martyr, which is pretty stupid considering she is still alive, just kicked out of Footfall. Ultimately I decided to keep Chorda dead by suiciding herself. Less of a mess to explain before the Inquisitor and two less maniacs to deal with.

Maybe it would have been different had I been a Fanatical Dogmatic (and Doloroso would've recognized me as the only possible saviour of Footfall, but I will see how that plays out on my second run.

std::namespace

idira haters are delusional...
i dunno what kind of game you dogmacucks are playing and how you manage to summon all the perils and shit but my idira spammed the following for half of ch2 and ch3:
- seize initiative from pc
prescience
foreboding
blindness
lightning - veil at 6
- bring it down from pc
prescience
foreboding
blindness
lightning - veil at 12
- her own turn
prescience
foreboding
blindness - veil 15, quadruple chance of perils and phenoms
shriek
- bring it down from cassie
prescience
foreboding
blindness
shriek
- finest hour? twice?

^ and this is her gimped to level 16... and this is before chaos gifts reseting cooldowns and giving ap
if she takes precognition, it just gets absurd, she has like 7 turns first turn, reaches 20 psy rating

she spams it specifically to trigger phenoms and perils to get psy rating up and get to veil 15

i can count on one hand the amount of times demons got summoned through ch2, 3

you newbs realize that warp wont kill her if she has temporary hp?

Camel

Scholar
I agonized over giving Idira to the Inqusition because it felt like a betrayal of both Theodora and her confidante. Thankfully Argenta solved my problem.

ArchAngel

Arcane
idira haters are delusional...
i dunno what kind of game you dogmacucks are playing and how you manage to summon all the perils and shit but my idira spammed the following for half of ch2 and ch3:
- seize initiative from pc
prescience
foreboding
blindness
lightning - veil at 6
- bring it down from pc
prescience
foreboding
blindness
lightning - veil at 12
- her own turn
prescience
foreboding
blindness - veil 15, quadruple chance of perils and phenoms
shriek
- bring it down from cassie
prescience
foreboding
blindness
shriek
- finest hour? twice?

^ and this is her gimped to level 16... and this is before chaos gifts reseting cooldowns and giving ap
if she takes precognition, it just gets absurd, she has like 7 turns first turn, reaches 20 psy rating

she spams it specifically to trigger phenoms and perils to get psy rating up and get to veil 15

i can count on one hand the amount of times demons got summoned through ch2, 3

you newbs realize that warp wont kill her if she has temporary hp?
I guess you got lucky? Or I got super unlucky.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
OK, I gave Indira more of a chance in my new Iconoclast run. As soon as I hit start of Act 2 her random chance to fuck up went crazy and it is not fun. I am still on Footfall, did only a few fights and on 2 of those she died and turned into a Demon that made both battles 2x harder for no reason.. whoever thought this is fun?!
If this shit continues I will have to bench her and only use her for her quests..
I do not mind other effects that can happen but this demon shit is stupid.
It is even more stupid that after the battle she gets up and everyone acts like nothing happened LOL. it does not make any sense even in narrative. Argenta and Heinrix would murder her first time it happened and everyone survived..

You acted as iconocuck heretic you get your just reward Comrade, of course devs being Cypriot liberasts so far from the light of Golden Throne did not gave you option to put the bolter round in her skull the moment she said '' I am strong idependent colored woman who need no sanction from Emperor''.

If this game was true to WH40k setting and lore only companions who would be not boltered or put onto air lock would be Argenta, Ulfar, Pascal, Casia and Chorda:

Henrix: Tainted by warp when he touched the demon possesed cogitator.

Mystery meat sloot from not Araby: Guilty of Xenophilia and desertion from Imperial Guard.

Strong independent black woman who needs no Emperor. For obvious reason.

Winterscale Papa: Khorne worship.

Wintercale Junior: Innocence proves nothing its better to kill one innocent than risk millions of souls.

Pascal and Casia - technically heretic and mutant but both protected by Emperor so you need to tolerate them.

Abelard: Knew that Theodora is heretic, did nothing, guilty.

Xenos they both shuld die the moment they appeared, game also lack option of gifting farseer to Inqusition, although knowigh that Calcazar was radical ergo heretic himself...

SpaceWizardz

Liturgist
If this game was true to WH40k setting and lore only companions who would be not boltered or put onto air lock would be Argenta, Ulfar, Pascal,
Xavier has reason enough to kill all three.
Argenta - Executing Theodora was simply not something she would've gotten to walk away from regardless of the evidence, there's a reason she hid it.
Ulfar - Too dangerous of a loose end to let live, as his ending slides demonstrate.
Pasqal - Xavier is actively hunting down Amarnat's personalities, Pasqal lives solely due to his ignorance.

Meanwhile Heinrix is just doing his job and Idira would be packed into a Black Ship either to get sanctioned or be fuel for the Throne/Astronomican.

Rhobar121

Scholar
OK, I gave Indira more of a chance in my new Iconoclast run. As soon as I hit start of Act 2 her random chance to fuck up went crazy and it is not fun. I am still on Footfall, did only a few fights and on 2 of those she died and turned into a Demon that made both battles 2x harder for no reason.. whoever thought this is fun?!
If this shit continues I will have to bench her and only use her for her quests..
I do not mind other effects that can happen but this demon shit is stupid.
It is even more stupid that after the battle she gets up and everyone acts like nothing happened LOL. it does not make any sense even in narrative. Argenta and Heinrix would murder her first time it happened and everyone survived..

You acted as iconocuck heretic you get your just reward Comrade, of course devs being Cypriot liberasts so far from the light of Golden Throne did not gave you option to put the bolter round in her skull the moment she said '' I am strong idependent colored woman who need no sanction from Emperor''.

If this game was true to WH40k setting and lore only companions who would be not boltered or put onto air lock would be Argenta, Ulfar, Pascal, Casia and Chorda:

Henrix: Tainted by warp when he touched the demon possesed cogitator.

Mystery meat sloot from not Araby: Guilty of Xenophilia and desertion from Imperial Guard.

Strong independent black woman who needs no Emperor. For obvious reason.

Winterscale Papa: Khorne worship.

Wintercale Junior: Innocence proves nothing its better to kill one innocent than risk millions of souls.

Pascal and Casia - technically heretic and mutant but both protected by Emperor so you need to tolerate them.

Abelard: Knew that Theodora is heretic, did nothing, guilty.

Xenos they both shuld die the moment they appeared, game also lack option of gifting farseer to Inqusition, although knowigh that Calcazar was radical ergo heretic himself...
The alliance with the Aeldari is not that unusual. The Inquisition could probably complain about this, but it's not a reason to seek conflict with a rogue trader.
While an insignificant person could have a problem depending on the circumstances and the inquisitor, more important people are allowed more.
Otherwise, a considerable number of executions would have to be carried out, including the primarch.

Mortmal

Arcane
77 hours at act 4 final fight. Let's not give false infos to fellow codexers, its not that big of a game, almost zero reactivity and more or less a railroaded combat gauntlet. Combat has the merits to be turn based but honestly not so good and using well tried existing systems would have been better.

user

Savant
77 hours at act 4 final fight. Let's not give false infos to fellow codexers, its not that big of a game, almost zero reactivity and more or less a railroaded combat gauntlet. Combat has the merits to be turn based but honestly not so good and using well tried existing systems would have been better.
Played only the first 3 chapters and waiting. Yes, a ton of things are broken, combat is not balanced and there's too much back to back unavoidable combat with no alternatives, but hard disagree on the almost zero reactivity part.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom