Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader - turn-based Warhammer 40k RPG from Owlcat Games

Retardo

Learned
There are some occasional unexpected difficulty spikes, but overall, yeah, it's pretty normal.
That's really unfortunate - the game became too easy to be fun (I straight up started skipping turns with some characters just to have Cassia spam lidless eye and clear the board, ggwp). I guess I'll wait for the expansions to come out and hope the game gets a balance pass by then

I think this is the worst thing about Cassia-level imba in a single player game. One can understand the pursuit of refined balance in PvP, but one sometimes wonders why is it necessary in PvE? I think this is the answer. Essentially if some entity or combination is out of whack with everything else to such a degree then, human nature being what it is, everyone uses it, so the game becomes boring for everyone.

Whereas if every ability and item does what it says on the tin and is effective to a roughly similar level, you have more of a potential spread of different, fun playstyles.

(Note Owlcat_Eyler: just take Cassia's powers out of availability at every level-up, treat her navigator powers like every other class' equivalent-power-level abilities, have them available only every few levels instead of every level. I've no idea why they made her abilities so powerful and synergistic AND made them available at nearly every level up! )
Nah
non-pvp tuning leads to fromsoft level of stupidity.
Every month I rerolled my build to current meta and grinded for gear, and every month mr dickazaki and co nerfed it all to shit.

Owlcat_Eyler dont listen to him, he's a heretic. What you really need is a separate difficulty mode, "spergy", which makes all characters deal 0.1 damage, and all powers cool down for ten turns. And bolters should be replaced by peashooters.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
All the MUH CASSIA posts are hilarious. She was absolutely useless and got killed in the first 2 rounds by anything until chapter 4 when I had to look up the SINGLE viable autistic build order for her and do a respec before she became dangerous.

And she's still nowhere near as powerful as Abeltard. Or Heinrix with his soul sucking axe that does immense damage and resurrects your dudes at the same time.

Lambach

Arcane
All the MUH CASSIA posts are hilarious. She was absolutely useless and got killed in the first 2 rounds by anything until chapter 4 when I had to look up the SINGLE viable autistic build order for her and do a respec before she became dangerous.

She doesn't even need a build, just pick her Navigator abilities and pump Willpower and Fellowship at every level. There, that's her build and it makes her by far the most powerful Party Member.

She literally comes at you at level 4 with a massive AoE Warp Damage Nuke + Stun. A Psyker can't get that ability before level 30 at least. Plus, pretty early on you can find a Staff that allows you to attack twice per turn. 2 huge AoE nukes with a Stun per turn at level 8-9? You have to actually want to suck at the game as much as humanly possible to make that useless.

Gerrard

Arcane
There are some occasional unexpected difficulty spikes, but overall, yeah, it's pretty normal.
That's really unfortunate - the game became too easy to be fun (I straight up started skipping turns with some characters just to have Cassia spam lidless eye and clear the board, ggwp). I guess I'll wait for the expansions to come out and hope the game gets a balance pass by then

I think this is the worst thing about Cassia-level imba in a single player game. One can understand the pursuit of refined balance in PvP, but one sometimes wonders why is it necessary in PvE? I think this is the answer. Essentially if some entity or combination is out of whack with everything else to such a degree then, human nature being what it is, everyone uses it, so the game becomes boring for everyone.

Whereas if every ability and item does what it says on the tin and is effective to a roughly similar level, you have more of a potential spread of different, fun playstyles.

(Note Owlcat_Eyler: just take Cassia's powers out of availability at every level-up, treat her navigator powers like every other class' equivalent-power-level abilities, have them available only every few levels instead of every level. I've no idea why they made her abilities so powerful and synergistic AND made them available at nearly every level up! )
Nah
non-pvp tuning leads to fromsoft level of stupidity.
Every month I rerolled my build to current meta and grinded for gear, and every month mr dickazaki and co nerfed it all to shit.

Owlcat_Eyler dont listen to him, he's a heretic. What you really need is a separate difficulty mode, "spergy", which makes all characters deal 0.1 damage, and all powers cool down for ten turns. And bolters should be replaced by peashooters.
Name checks out.

Owlcat_Eyler

Owlcat Games
Developer
Cassia is strong indeed but she tends to lose her ultimate advantage in the late game. A lot of people reported that other companions became stronger than her on the upper levels

Lambach

Arcane
Cassia is strong indeed but she tends to lose her ultimate advantage in the late game. A lot of people reported that other companions became stronger than her on the upper levels

Well yeah, but I don't think that was intentional. :M

Lol. Rofl. Lmao, even. :lol:

lol.png

This has got to be a bug with Lethality or something. No way in hell would anyone intentionally design it like this.

Ryzer

Arcane

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong

She doesn't even need a build, just pick her Navigator abilities and pump Willpower and Fellowship at every level.

Which you wouldn't know to minmax unless you looked it up. Like an autist.

If you try to, I don't know, do literally anything else - she's shit.

Yup, many of those abilities become almost useless against

the necrons. Especially the tank type things. At least she's still good for

and completely useless against

the army of alter egos

Rhobar121

Scholar

She doesn't even need a build, just pick her Navigator abilities and pump Willpower and Fellowship at every level.

the army of alter egos
As if the last 2-3 hours of the game mattered in such a long game.

ArchAngel

Arcane

the army of alter egos
There is really not much min maxing needed. You just read what talents do and not be retarded. If you are saying game is still hard because retards pick random talents without reading and it should be balanced for such players.. maybe this game is not for you and your kind of retard.
And in end game my Cassia was just as powerful as earlier. Her skillset is mix of Officer and her own abilities. She becomes unkillable, has best buffs, has access to all most broken Officer abilities and also has powerful nuke spells (if you picked Master Tactician) that do not have usual Psyker penalties.

Last edited:

Lambach

Arcane

No, actually, I'd know because she's the only character I've seen up until that point that has a unique Origin, i.e. Navigator, so it kinda made sense to me that I should focus on exploring that, because I'm not completely fucking retarded and I don't need to look at a guide to tell me it might be a good idea to try out a unique Character's unique abilities, as if I were some kind of a complete fucking retard, you complete fucking retard.

Rhobar121

Scholar
In order not to guess that the navigator's talents are broken, you must not be able to read.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Cassia with Navigator talents is ridiculous, though.

In a way I respect it as a design choice. Navigators to be true to the setting pretty much would be as powerful as the rest of the retinue combined so it's pretty true to character that the amped up super Navigator would be better than everyone else.

You can accuse Owlcat of a lot of things, but a Sawyerist orientation toward balance isn't one of them. Some things are just plain better than others and it's what it is.

Jack Slash

Literate
Reading all these comments makes me glad I didn't care for Cassia's character and relegated her to a buff-bot role. My melee-focused playthrough was reasonably challenging and fun - not to the point of WotR, but well-worth the 100+ hour investment.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/2186680/view/4188984693994260864
Patch 1.1.52 is live!

Lord Captains, patch 1.1.52 is live! In this patch we’re dealing with a handful of quest problems, multiple annoying mechanical issues including crazy damage from Killing Edge, and you can now finally install mods directly from Steam Workshop!

As usual, the same update will be available on consoles within ~24 hours.

Check https://steamcommunity.com/app/2186680/discussions/0/4027970580228219058/ for up-to-date information on known issues and upcoming patches.

Please be aware of plot spoilers in the description below!

System and stability

• Fixed a case of lag at Eufrates II;
  • Fixed a case of significant lag in the final encounter;
  • Fixed cases of freezing on the global map for consoles and when playing with a controller;
  • Fixed lag caused by Point Blank talent;

Narrative

• Cassia will no longer mention

;
  • Fixed a broken cutscene in Duty of the Navis Nobilite quest;
  • Fixed a case where Idira unintentionally could be killed during Echo of the Past quest and remained dead, blocking further progress of the quest;
  • Fixed a case where the dialogue with the High Factotum and Clementia in Act III could break if Yrliet was missing in the party;
  • Fixed a case where the quest of Heinrix at Kiava Gamma was incorrectly being marked as failed if the player left the location before completing the quest;
  • Fixed a case with Ulfar's quest becoming stuck;
  • Fixed a couple more rare cases of broken cutscenes in Act III and IV;
  • Fixed a dialogue in the Duty of the Navis Nobilite quest, where a failed negotiation attempt could cause the dialogue to break;
  • Fixed A Rare Find rumour not completing;
  • Fixed a yet another rare case of invisible throne riding at Footfall, which could cause cutscenes to break;
  • Fixed an incorrect condition in the quest Driven, which caused the dialogue to break;
  • Fixed an incorrect condition, causing a wrong dialogue to be shown in final Marazhai's romance event cutscene;
  • Fixed some rumours not ending correctly;
  • It is made a bit more clear that you need to talk to

;
  • Kunrad could transform into Chaos Spawn in save files made before patch 1.1, causing the whole scene to go haywire - fixed;
  • Outcast's Duty quest will now fail as intended if you

• Pasqal will no longer invade the Lord Captain's dreams;
  • The second quest of Heinrix, incorrectly reopened after the last patch for those who have already completed it, will now be correctly marked as completed again. Told you, this Imperial bureaucracy is unbearable...

Mechanics

• Binharic Dissector talent now works correctly;
  • Fiend of Vheabos VI now can only affect every enemy once per character turn and will no longer work during preparation round;
  • Fixed a rare case where one of the characters could get stuck behind the door during transition to a new zone;
  • Fixed issues with difficulty scaling at the beginning of the game if the player used custom difficulty;
  • In some cases, Bounty Hunter's Wild Hunt was not working, if one Prey was dead - fixed;
  • Killing the

with any sort of movement enforcement could lock your turn - fixed;
  • The encounter with the infected of the Footfall Shadow Quarters has received new disease mechanics;
  • Unholy Flesh and Purity of the True Flesh features now give both positive and negative effects;
  • Vanguard's Unyielding Beacon now correctly gives temporary wounds, if Vanguard has less temporary wounds than stacks of this ability;
  • Warp Reflex Ring no longer provides an extra turn. Instead, it heals 2x(WP Bonus) wounds and gives (Psy Rating) MP after triggering Psychic Phenomena, and after triggering Perils of the Warp, the wearer gains 1 Action Point;

Items

• Icons of many items were updated;
  • Some items that were supposed to let the user ignore Dodge, in fact were giving a -999% reduction in Dodge, ending up in spectacular 6-digit damage numbers when interacting with mechanics based on enemy dodge (Lethality and Killing Edge, in particular). Fixed, no more Exterminatus by a single sniper shot!
  • The

in Act I has received a unique name;
  • Warp Surge Brooch only activates for the extra turn and not the entire round as per description;
  • Yrliet and Marazhai are now capable of using both Drukhari and Aeldari equipment;

Locations

• Fixed a broken condition, which caused the

;
  • Fixed a case where the Lord Captain could end up on the

solo;
  • Fixed some missing textures on the Inquisition Shipwreck;
  • Improved lighting, water effects, added critters and other minor environmental visuals at

;
  • When entering

;

Visual

• Added destruction visual effects to

and Imperial turrets;

User Interface

• Added missing descriptions to Aurora's abilities;
  • Fixed a bug causing certain abilities to sometimes be unavailable during level up and retraining;
  • Fixed a bug causing Jae to remain in her dress after one of the romance scenes, causing her ability bar and inventory to become a mess;
  • Fixed a case where if there were prone creatures on the battlefield, the End Turn button wasn't working until the player opened any menu;
  • Fixed an issue, where the UI could stop responding if the player initiated combat simultaneously with detecting a trap;
  • Fixed an issue, where the UI could stop responding if the player opened the journal from colonization screen while rewards popup was still active;
  • It is now possible to skip the final credits;
  • Unequipping the weapon will now always correctly remove all the associated abilities from the ability bar;

Sound and Music
  • Added new

animation sounds;

Space

• Ships in space combat could sometimes end their movement facing a different direction from what was displayed on the hologram - fixed;

Co-op

• Fixed some cases of desync caused by initiative check at the beginning of combat;

Mods
  • You can now automatically install mods through Steam Workshop!
  • Blueprint patches for mods are now working with asset references correctly;
  • Fixed exceptions caused by parsing null value fields while applying blueprint patches;
  • Fixed searching blueprint fields while patching values from private fields of parent classes in blueprint mod patcher;
  • Added various UnityModManager and OwlcatModManager stability fixes;

Miscellaneous

• Added a few more latecomers to the Credits and the Shrine of Remembrance;
  • The Unexpected Company achievement is now awarded correctly;

GloomFrost

Arcane
GloomFrost answer the question instead of just leaving tardy ratings
Jesus Christ! Are you actually serious? Two completely different genres, how the hell are you suppose to compare them? Ok lets try this: Rogue Trader got a lot of dialogues AND you can recruit a hot ginger elf girl so therefore its definitely better. Happy now? Why don't you ask to compare Deamonhunters and Fire Warrior next time since they both take place in 40K universe.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Too many capacities that stack with each other === OP

Yes. A endless stacking tuff with game mechanics as gamey as D&D 4e. The worst of old school design + the world of modern design.

This is the unique OwlCat game which I honestly din't liked.

Johannes

Arcane
GloomFrost answer the question instead of just leaving tardy ratings
Jesus Christ! Are you actually serious? Two completely different genres, how the hell are you suppose to compare them? Ok lets try this: Rogue Trader got a lot of dialogues AND you can recruit a hot ginger elf girl so therefore its definitely better. Happy now? Why don't you ask to compare Deamonhunters and Fire Warrior next time since they both take place in 40K universe.
Doesn't look like different genres to me, both have tactical combat and rpg mechanics to some degree. If I knew the exact difference, I wouldn't be asking here, would I?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom