Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader - turn-based Warhammer 40k RPG from Owlcat Games

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
You can accuse Owlcat of a lot of things, but a Sawyerist orientation toward balance isn't one of them.

For navigators, yes. For Pykers, no. Nor for the SM companion. He is imo too weak for a freaking Space Marine.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
How's this compare to the WH40k Daemonhunters game?

Daemon Hunters is an XCOM Clone this one is CRPG. Atmosphere-wise, DH is better. Simply better art direction in general. RT has nice portraits, but the overall assets and environment is simply the Pathfinder games quality (a bit cartoonish stuff)

Gameplay wise, I dunno, it's pretty much a different genre. Yes combat are both TB.

System and character progression in DH is pretty simplistic (much like modern XCOM) although I haven't played with all the expansions on. RT is an Owlcat CRPG but using homebrew system everything is unbalanced and the game ended up being easy as there are a ton of OP shits which requirement to exploit is simply "can read the description and do junior high-level math".

Story is DH is standard "Chaos invade, we need to respond" kind of stuff although they are going for an epic scale by the end incorporating major lore guest party member and major daemon prince ass final boss. RT story is, well, CRPG story set in Warhammer 40k universe.

Yosharian

Arcane
DH is a pretty decent and well-polished XCOM-like. It's well worth a play, especially with the recent DLC, but it has some questionable RNG design choices in my opinion - they don't ruin the game but they did impact my enjoyment of it.

Rogue Trader is a buggy mess that needs at least another 12 months of patching before it'll be worth playing, but it's looking like a fairly decent RPG, albeit with another bunch of shitty minigames shoved into it because Owlcat's CEO is retarded.

Hope this clears things up

ArchAngel

Arcane
DH is a pretty decent and well-polished XCOM-like. It's well worth a play, especially with the recent DLC, but it has some questionable RNG design choices in my opinion - they don't ruin the game but they did impact my enjoyment of it.

Rogue Trader is a buggy mess that needs at least another 12 months of patching before it'll be worth playing, but it's looking like a fairly decent RPG, albeit with another bunch of shitty minigames shoved into it because Owlcat's CEO is retarded.

Minigame is mostly decent this time around, Owlcat are improving in that aspect. In two games it might even be good.

user

Savant

Minigame is mostly decent this time around, Owlcat are improving in that aspect. In two games it might even be good.

I love how they add mini-games and management aspects into their CRPGs. It spices up the main game loop and adds a great role-playing flavor to the fantasy.
However, I have to agree that they are not particularly well thought out, or integrated into the game as seamlessly as they could be.

A dash of HoMM in my CRPG? Fuck. yes. But, it ended up being mostly bland... If only they had dedicated as much effort to the mini-game's design as they did to its development. So many assets and mechanics, but most were just thrown in without regard for consistency or structure with a game loop that is little more than busywork. Arrrgggghh, missing that opportunity was borderline criminal.

The space combat is indeed decent, but still too isolated, linear, and inconsequential. That one needed more development time too imo. But considering the state of the game at release, I'm even surprised it turned out as well as it did.

Harthwain

Magister
The space combat is indeed decent, but still too isolated, linear, and inconsequential. That one needed more development time too imo. But considering the state of the game at release, I'm even surprised it turned out as well as it did.
They were THIS CLOSE to making a real Battlefleet Gothic as a side project... :negative:

While I enjoyed the space combat overall, somebody should be hanged for some design decisions (enemy annihilating you on his very first run, without a chance for you to do anything about it, for example).

ArchAngel

Arcane
They were THIS CLOSE to making a real Battlefleet Gothic as a side project... :negative:

While I enjoyed the space combat overall, somebody should be hanged for some design decisions (enemy annihilating you on his very first run, without a chance for you to do anything about it, for example).
I didn't have that one happen yet. If that really happened than you either went into tough fight without upgrading your ship gear or you didn't take silent running.
If this second than that is failure of testing as they didn't test all fights without taking Silent running. Out of all skills that one changes space combat the most.

Harthwain

Magister
I didn't have that one happen yet. If that really happened than you either went into tough fight without upgrading your ship gear or you didn't take silent running.
I had fully upgraded ship at the time. The only thing I could do was get a few levels (two or three) by scrounging up ALL possible remaining space combats and THEN I took Silent Running. If I wouldn't, then there was no chance in Hell for me to ever winning that fight without messing with the difficulty of space combats.

Zayne

Scholar
Finally finished this game. Strangely, no horrible bugs/crashes, just mismatched dialogue here and there. So, I guess, it's playable

Best part: Grimdark atmosphere. They've nailed it, seriously.
Also, the minigame is quite good.

Worst part: combat without any challenge after Act 1. I've tried to turn the difficulty up to Unfair, it didn't help. The enemies(including most bosses) can't get a single turn before dying to Cassia + MC Officer combo. Then I've thought it's Cassia who's OP, but no, when facing enemies immune to warp damage I had no problems either - Abelard and Heinrix kill everyone quite easy aswell, just a bit slower.

Unfortunately, cakewalk combat affects exploration. I remember that in previous Owlcat games I was excited for challenge and rewards. Here I know I'll meet no challenge and I don't care about rewards cause I don't really need any of them.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Finally finished this game. Strangely, no horrible bugs/crashes, just mismatched dialogue here and there. So, I guess, it's playable

Worst part: combat without any challenge after Act 1. I've tried to turn the difficulty up to Unfair, it didn't help. The enemies(including most bosses) can't get a single turn before dying to Cassia + MC Officer combo. Then I've thought it's Cassia who's OP, but no, when facing enemies immune to warp damage I had no problems either - Abelard and Heinrix kill everyone quite easy aswell, just a bit slower.

Unfortunately, cakewalk combat affects exploration. I remember that in previous Owlcat games I was excited for challenge and rewards. Here I know I'll meet no challenge and I don't care about rewards cause I don't really need any of them.
Also game spams you with samey but slightly different weapons and gear. Also a lot of situational gear. Most of the time it is a chore to read through all of them and equip 6 people with such gear.. now I feel crazy about complaining how gear in old D&D games was just +1, +2 and such :D

Iluvcheezcake

Prophet
Owlcat_Eyler When can we expect psyker talent picking to be fixed, amongst other things? For example, while leveling the game does not recognize i took +1 psy rating and doesnt allow me to take that psychic scream aoe cone ability?
Also, does Joint offence talent from operatives stack on all partymembers if multiple operatives take it?
Playing on latest GoG build (edited for clarity).

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In

Yeah that's about the size of it.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Owlcat_Eyler When can we expect psyker talent picking to be fixed, amongst other things? For example, while leveling the game does not recognize i took +1 psy rating and doesnt allow me to take that psychic scream aoe cone ability?
Also, does Joint offence talent from operatives stack on all partymembers if multiple operatives take it?
Maybe it requires base Psi Rating, not modified by Unsanctioned Psyker of Indira.

Iluvcheezcake

Prophet
Maybe it requires base Psi Rating, not modified by Unsanctioned Psyker of Indira.
I get what you are aiming at, but i mean post lvl 10 choosing a +1 psi rating

ArchAngel

Arcane
But isn't that AoE scream Psi 2 ability?

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Speaking about bugs.
DYz0sxG.png

What do you get if you cross an owlbear with a bugbear? An... owlbug!
Am I reading too much into Larian's jokes? :M

Iluvcheezcake

Prophet
But isn't that AoE scream Psi 2 ability?
Euh, in the description it says psi + 1, oO

Owlcat_Eyler

Owlcat Games
Developer
This fix is already in progress, thank you. But I don't know the ETA of this very fix

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom