Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Warmachine: Tactics Kickstarter has begun

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Well, we are being a bit unfair. Space Hulk is coming to PC at least :)

But holy shit if a Necromunda/Mordheim PC game wouldn't be fucking badass.

WcOJ0uQ.jpg

:love:

Branm

Learned
Jesus this got a lot of jewgold fast, guess the fanbase of the tabletop heard about it. Looks like :incline: anyway, faithful representation of the tabletop? Yes please.

It wont be a true 1:1 representation though. they already said as much :(

Branm

Learned
Calling all bros.

We've got an interview planned with Matt Wilson of Privateer Press and we'd like question suggestions for the interview.

Any ideas?

Whats the scale same as Warmachine? Can you turn off the horrible action sequences and the console UI?

AstroZombie

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin
Calling all bros.

We've got an interview planned with Matt Wilson of Privateer Press and we'd like question suggestions for the interview.

Any ideas?

Can the game be played in a strictly isometric view, or will we have to play on that XCOM-ish camera angle?

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
backed

shame it looks like it's gonna be popamole camera instead of isometric, also saw one of em using a controller in the video.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
How is this raising so much money so quickly? Do people just really want those exclusive miniatures?

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
How is this raising so much money so quickly? Do people just really want those exclusive miniatures?

Warmachine's non-digital audience rivals the size of Warhammer's, as already stated.

It's just not an internet phenomenon like Warhammer that everybody else knows about.

Gulnar

Scholar
Wait - is this developed from Whitemoon Dreams? The same slugs that are supposingly 'developing' a action-rpg game based upon on the warmachine universe from 2009 and that haven't updated their website since 2011? Because if it's them, it seems vapourware.

Edit: oh yeeah, they HAVE updated the website! And yet i see no references to the old projects. How... peculiar.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
^ That's my bet as well. The guys behind Warmachine are notoriously risk-adverse (most companies behind miniatures are, it's really a business where you sell nothing for A LOT of money). An educated guess is that they probably figured an action game would be the only thing able to sell, but it was put on ice because they weren't happy with it. Then Kickstarter happened and there was a possibility to actually make a game directly to their target audience for miniatures and the hungry turn-based tactics crowd. That, and these guys are in it to make money off of their hobby as well, now they just had the chance.

It's easy to see how slick their Kickstarter is compared to other projects with a similar "low" funding goal. A lot of effort went into research and pitch.

Honestly, I have more trust in a professional capitalist wanting to score money by making products targeted at us than I have in many of the oldfag developers with big dreams or new and innovative indie-guys (and I say this as a leftist). The latter two are ticking bombs who have proven countless times they know shit about shit when it comes to deadlines, production schedules and budgeting. They can design, and they know what we want, but it's doubtful that they are able to give it to us.

The ideal future of Kickstarter for me is that developers shape the ideas in order to sell to the crowd, but company-owners like these manage the production.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
I AM VERY BUTTHURT THE CODEX INTERVIEW QUESTIONS HAVE NOT BEEN ANSWERED YET! MY PLEDGE AND THE SIZE THEREOF DEPENDS ON THEIR ANSWERS! :x

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
^ That's my bet as well. The guys behind Warmachine are notoriously risk-adverse (most companies behind miniatures are, it's really a business where you sell nothing for A LOT of money). An educated guess is that they probably figured an action game would be the only thing able to sell, but it was put on ice because they weren't happy with it. Then Kickstarter happened and there was a possibility to actually make a game directly to their target audience for miniatures and the hungry turn-based tactics crowd. That, and these guys are in it to make money off of their hobby as well, now they just had the chance.

It's easy to see how slick their Kickstarter is compared to other projects with a similar "low" funding goal. A lot of effort went into research and pitch.

Honestly, I have more trust in a professional capitalist wanting to score money by making products targeted at us than I have in many of the oldfag developers with big dreams or new and innovative indie-guys (and I say this as a leftist). The latter two are ticking bombs who have proven countless times they know shit about shit when it comes to deadlines, production schedules and budgeting. They can design, and they know what we want, but it's doubtful that they are able to give it to us.

The ideal future of Kickstarter for me is that developers shape the ideas in order to sell to the crowd, but company-owners like these manage the production.
Sad, but all true.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom