Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wasteland Wasteland 2 Pre-Release Discussion Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Tigranes

Arcane
Sounds fantastic. I'm not expecting C&C Orgasmtopia from Wasteland 2, I'm much more excited about that for the other games - what I want is a solid more than the sum of parts deal with reasonably challenging TB party combat.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Sounds fantastic. I'm not expecting C&C Orgasmtopia from Wasteland 2, I'm much more excited about that for the other games - what I want is a solid more than the sum of parts deal with reasonably challenging TB party combat.
It's pretty disappointing when Fargo said they're hanging their hat on reactivity.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
sea, tell us about the map linearity. Are there wide open areas?
Generally speaking, maps are pretty open; they all have multiple paths/routes that intersect with each other (both indoor and outdoor). Some of those paths are gated by skill use or sub-objectives. There is one huge town map that is very open; the other two major locations are a bit more linear and "dungeon crawly", but, well, it makes sense in context of those locations. Overall it's a very good balance and I have no complaints.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
sea, tell us about the map linearity. Are there wide open areas?
Generally speaking, maps are pretty open; they all have multiple paths/routes that intersect with each other (both indoor and outdoor). Some of those paths are gated by skill use or sub-objectives. There is one huge town map that is very open; the other two major locations are more linear, but that's kind of necessary due to the objectives you have there and the specific environment design. Overall it's a very good balance and I have no complaints.

And does the game use the radio as a quest compass that leads you towards "reactivity" as some people here feared?

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
And does the game use the radio as a quest compass that leads you towards "reactivity" as some people here feared?
The radio is primarily used for story/flavor/etc., and to call in to report quest progress and receive new major objectives. There is no quest compass.

Wizfall

Cipher
To me, the game feels like Fallout 1 & 2...
I surprised myself at sighing of relief here (not that i want W2 to be like Fallout at all but be as good as possible as Fallout).
Great "preview" and awesome news, i had much lower expectation after the second video so it's a big surprise to me.

kenup

Scholar
Codex 2014
Thanks for the info sea! Too bad C&C isn't up to par. But your wording is hopeful, so this part might still end up great.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Just be aware that when you get your hands on it, it is still very WIP and only represents the early game as well. Entire scenarios, mechanics and systems may still be subject to significant change, and will definitely be tweaked, added to and rebalanced. Don't expect it to be extremely polished, because it's not; inXile were not lying, this is not a marketing beta.

Wizfall

Cipher
Also thanks a lot for the detailed feedback you provide to InXile sea, much appreciated !
I would not want to alpha/ beta test the game, for me it's an ungrateful task that may waste my fun latter.
I will wait the game's completion to play it.

Ninjerk

Arcane
sea Are you under NDA not to post screenies? Is there a "current-enough" UI screenshot that could be tampered with re:aesthetics?

Tigranes

Arcane
It's pretty disappointing when Fargo said they're hanging their hat on reactivity.

True, but I'm of the opinion that complex C&C is one of the most difficult things to get right in an RPG and I don't have faith in inXile's crew yet, whereas I have certain expectations about what Larian and Obsidian will deliver. I'm hopeful that after this game they will carry that experience on to Torment.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

True, but I'm of the opinion that complex C&C is one of the most difficult things to get right in an RPG and I don't have faith in inXile's crew yet, whereas I have certain expectations about what Larian and Obsidian will deliver. I'm hopeful that after this game they will carry that experience on to Torment.

FWIW, Brother None seems fairly confident that Wasteland 2 will, in the end, have more reactivity than Eternity. We won't know for a long while whether that will turn out to be true, of course.

SophosTheWise

Cipher

FWIW, Brother None seems fairly confident that Wasteland 2 will, in the end, have more reactivity than Eternity. We won't know for a long while whether that will turn out to be true, of course.

On what basis did he claim that?

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
[Optimistic] Maybe they are holding back most of the C&C stuff for full version of the game? Or main C&C are at LA?

Thanks for the great info Sea, looking forward to try our version of demo. I'm not that C&C freak when it comes to Wasteland/Fallout to be honest. Just give me my damn shotgun and some grenades!
Which remainds me, what about "the gore" in game? Are there Falloutish death animations?

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Which remainds me, what about "the gore" in game? Are there Falloutish death animations?
There is some dismemberment but it's not quite at Fallout level. Pretty sure I've blown a few heads clean off though.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
Up to now I've provided inXile with 4 documents' worth of feedback totaling about 60 pages and 12,000 word.

mah-nigga.jpg

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Right now two of my biggest complaints are quest design and lack of C&C. There are actually a lot of quests, but usually there's only one or two major quests with much in the way of multiple solutions per-location. There's also a lack of reactivity beyond one big choice you make early on, which admittedly does have very significant consequences. That's not to say it's bad (and there are a few quests that are very good this way), just not quite up to, say, Fallout 2 standards

They claimed it would be so so deep with reactivity, it would be amazing and would be their focus instead of graphics and whatnot, and now this... wonderful, just wonderful. AoD, where art thou?

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
They claimed it would be so so deep with reactivity, it would be amazing and would be their focus instead of graphics and whatnot, and now this... wonderful, just wonderful. AoD, where art thou?
This is what pisses me off as well... Fargo dies by the mouth, not for delivering something bad, but for promising way more than he can deliver.

W1 was not a C&C game, the whole "Do you kill the dog?" was binary and laughable. And yet they hyped C&C so much in W2, saying they were in a totally different level than BioWare and all that.... WHY, if they can't deliver?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
WHY, if they can't deliver?

It's too early to decide that.

sea said:
Just bear in mind it's a work-in-progress and that a lot of the time, new quest options and consequences to different resolutions are often one of the last things added during development. I've talked a lot with Thomas about this, and this is a priority for inXile to work on right now.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom