Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wasteland Wasteland 3 + Battle of Steeltown and Cult of the Holy Detonation Expansions Thread

DLCs are also a necessity in this day and age. A quick glance at social media and other outlets will make you understand that the public won't see a game as "complete" unless it has some form of dlc.

Modron

Arcane
DLCs are also a necessity in this day and age. A quick glance at social media and other outlets will make you understand that the public won't see a game as "complete" unless it has some form of dlc.
Modern mongoloids on steam will say developers have abandoned a game if devs release a complete game and patch it up fairly quickly after release without continuing to nickle and dime customers with dlc for a while after release.

Faarbaute

Arbiter
One impression I was left with after playing the DLCs is that they were made by someone who didn't like what the rest of Wasteland 3 was about, neither mechanically, nor narratively.

I don't know if this was because there were new people involved, or if it was a case of that phenomenon where you spend too much time tinkering with your systems and consequently, end up with overproduced garbage.

Last edited:

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So, I assume the dlcs are not worth it for the story either? Do you miss out on anything crucial?

Faarbaute

Arbiter
If I were to rate Wasteland 3 itself as 7.5/10, Steeltown is 5/10, and Cult of the Holy Detonation 3/10.

They get progressively worse, both in terms of combat and story.

ds

Cipher
Patron
I think DLCs' stories are OK but nothing special. Like with most non-DLC areas, the story is mostly there to force you to pick a side and then murder the other side. It's not going to carry the experience if you find the boringly repeated combat gimmick unbearable. FWIW I actually liked the Holy Detonation's end boss encounter more than the main game's final encounter but that doesn't mean the slog before that is worth it.

As far as the impact on the main game, iirc it is limited to the ending slides only - besides loot and XP of course. The two DLC locations are very much significant to the future of Colorado, providing manufacturing and an alternative power source respectively. But it doesn't end up mattering for the immediate conflict covered in the game even if it perhaps should.

Zerth

Arbiter
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
"We're pleased to announce that Wasteland 3: Director's Cut is never happening. The game is perfect."
Talking about "perfect", I got 2 subquests bugged and Saul claimed I destroyed Steeltown despite saving it twice, first after main questline and 2nd time from Liberty's raid party...

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
New conservative AI chatbot drops, named after President Reagan: ChatGPT-powered GIPPR has been taught conservative values, founder says

FoxBusiness said:
Americans concerned with the left-wing bias of ChatGPT and other artificial intelligence tools now have an alternative. A right-wing chatbot has arrived.

The makers of TUSK Browser, a censorship-free web browser with an emphasis on free speech, have now rolled out a modified AI chatbot they say promotes conservative values and "aligns with patriots and independent thinkers' point of view."

Dubbed GIPPR in homage to Republican icon and late President Ronald Reagan, who was nicknamed "the Gipper," the new bot runs on OpenAI's ChatGPT technology but has been trained to act like a conservative.
Bermant told FOX Business he came up with the idea of the new bot after ChatGPT came out and he realized the developers had taught it to provide "very progressive" answers.
So, his team spent a few months teaching conservative principles to their own version of the tool, and GIPPR was born.

Bermant says the tool gives "responsible answers like a conservative would," and does not encourage harmful behavior.
gippers39zfhi.png

Arthandas

Prophet
I have less than 2h playtime and I'm already thinking of dropping it. Everything in this game just pisses me off, like having to manually zoom out after each dialog or scroll down to display all dialog options because apparently a 2020 crpg can't display more than 3 at the same time.
The story doesn't make any sense. The Patriarch wants help from the Rangers in exchange for supplies, so they make a full on fucking expedition to reach him even though he didn't even say what he wanted from them, you learn it only after talking to him lol. Apparently the man "who owns Colorado" and has all the supplies and equipment needs 2 (two) random Rangers to kidnap his three offspring, each one building an army to usurp him xD Who the fuck wrote this shit?!

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Apparently the man "who owns Colorado" and has all the supplies and equipment needs 2 (two) random Rangers to kidnap his three offspring, each one building an army to usurp him xD Who the fuck wrote this shit?!
He needed all of them. As it happens, only two rangers survived that particular attack. His police force is stretched thin as it is protecting the people of Colorado, he doesn't have the people necessary to get his kids back.

Also George Ziets wrote it.

Arthandas

Prophet
He needed all of them. As it happens, only two rangers survived that particular attack.
I know, but it's still incredibly stupid that instead for telling them to fuck off, he's relying on two newbs that have like 1% of his resources and manpower to do a job designed for a commando and he behaves like it's perfectly normal to do so. This all seems very artificial and "gamey" and if it's the main premise I just can't force myself to go with it.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I know, but it's still incredibly stupid that instead for telling them to fuck off, he's relying on two newbs that have like 1% of his resources and manpower to do a job designed for a commando and he behaves like it's perfectly normal to do so. This all seems very artificial and "gamey" and if it's the main premise I just can't force myself to go with it.
That you survived an ambush that killed everyone else shows your ability. You also build up quite a force of disaffected locals.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It's just an RPG trope of course, but if you want a plausible explanation, the best one is that the Patriarch might have heard that a party of just four rangers defeated an army of synths from California.

Faarbaute

Arbiter
I have less than 2h playtime and I'm already thinking of dropping it. Everything in this game just pisses me off, like having to manually zoom out after each dialog or scroll down to display all dialog options because apparently a 2020 crpg can't display more than 3 at the same time.
The story doesn't make any sense. The Patriarch wants help from the Rangers in exchange for supplies, so they make a full on fucking expedition to reach him even though he didn't even say what he wanted from them, you learn it only after talking to him lol. Apparently the man "who owns Colorado" and has all the supplies and equipment needs 2 (two) random Rangers to kidnap his three offspring, each one building an army to usurp him xD Who the fuck wrote this shit?!

It is gamey, but it is also easily hand waved that the patriarch wants an outside force beholden only to himself, to take care of his problems. Playing the game would have cleared this up for you, but you seem intent on dismissing the game out of hand, for reasons that aren't really there.

It's okay to just not like a game, you know.

Arthandas

Prophet
the patriarch wants an outside force
Two newbs that barely survived the ambush is not a force.
Playing the game would have cleared this up for you
Cleared what? "Oh, 95% of you died in an ambush? K, here's an empty base, now get your ass and kidnap my heavily guarded children from three different locations on the map. Yeah, I know exactly where they are, yes, I have an army, resources and equipment but no, I can't do it but don't worry - you can lol". Peak story and writing, Ziets should get the Nebula instead of George Martin.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom