Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

We need a Troika sub-forum

Edward has been MIA for a few months.

We need sub-forums to separate players with retarded taste from reasonable people.

this is reddit-level circlejerking, lawl

The purpose of subforums is to make a forum simpler to navigate, which frankly isn't that necessary with the relatively small userbase on the codex. They currently exist mostly so people don't ever have to click "Next Page".

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
But you don't have a folder for all the classics yet, since you're still missing Sierra/Dynamix, Microprose, and Dreamforge Entertainment, amongst many others. So, it only saves one time if one is looking only for the pop-classics, instead of looking for the hard-rock classics. You haven't helped all the people, just the tip-of-the 90s crowd. For people looking to delve into the classics in a less shallow way, it adds 10 clicks to what was once 1.

Nice strawman, Telengard. The purpose is not to include every single studio that published a classic in the past. I’m not even sure that every game classified as a classic is worth playing. The purpose is to include a sub-forum for a known studio that only made classics that are popular on the Codex, because there is a demand for it. You talked about pop classics. Ok, whatever. But most players won’t pay attention to less known classics if they don’t play the pop-classics first.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
But you don't have a folder for all the classics yet, since you're still missing Sierra/Dynamix, Microprose, and Dreamforge Entertainment, amongst many others. So, it only saves one time if one is looking only for the pop-classics, instead of looking for the hard-rock classics. You haven't helped all the people, just the tip-of-the 90s crowd. For people looking to delve into the classics in a less shallow way, it adds 10 clicks to what was once 1.

Nice strawman, Telengard. The purpose is not to include every single studio that published a classic in the past. I’m not even sure that every game classified as a classic is worth playing. The purpose is to include a sub-forum for a known studio that only made classics that are popular on the Codex, because there is a demand for it. You talked about pop classics. Ok, whatever. But most players won’t pay attention to less known classics if they don’t play the pop-classics first.

At this point that forum would only end up as a bin to move old threads.. how often do we get new threads asking "HEY GUIZ EVER HEARD OF ARCANUM??"
I think we have all played the shit out of troika games by this point.

If you noticed, all these company forums popped up around the release date of a large game. Obsidian around PoE, Bethesda when FO4 was announced, Bioware for Dragon Age Inquistion..
It's a sorting mechanism so people can put topics they hate on ignore / avoid the poopoo.

Would a Troika forum really improve visibility?
I think that was Telengrads point.. Where do we stop?
Are people just saying they want this forum on principle because so many shit companies have one so why not Troika?

I like the sub forums.. it allows me avoid companies (Bioware) that I don't give a shit about even on a laugh and point level.. I just don't know what a long defunct company can really offer.. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
At this point that forum would only end up as a bin to move old threads.. how often do we get new threads asking "HEY GUIZ EVER HEARD OF ARCANUM??"

I think we have all played the shit out of troika games by this point.

Most of the oldfags here played BG2 and FO, and most of them discussed BG2 and FO a million times. I bet that if you open a new thread talking about these games, comments will abound. The same thing applies to Arcanum. Besides, this type of sub-forum has two additional functions: (1) to save all the discussions about these games for future generations, for both old and newfags; and (2) to make new players more aware of these games.

The way things work now, you need to read a random comment about a game, and spend days digging for information. It is almost as if oldfags are proud of their hard-won knowledge and want newfags to spend the same effort to acquire the same knowledge, which is completely irrational and counter-productive. I know this is hard, but if you want things to improve, you need to start thinking about the new generations, in the long-term. Otherwise, the popamolers will conquer this place, little by litle.

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The true patriot hates his government.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom