Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wesp latest patch (VtM:B)

sheek

Arbiter
Does the latest patch add/restore any new content that would make it worth replaying?

Last play through was with version # 3.7, and I see it's now up to 6.x, but Wesp doesn't make any list of cumulative changes (only per new decimal patch #). And is the companion mod worthwhile? I don't particularly feel I need a party (game is easy enough) but might take it if makes the combat more tactical.

Anyone played it recently?

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Yea, it is kind of confusing on trying to figure out what exactly Wesp has fixed/restored. If only Wesp documented all the changes/restored content as well as Drog has it would be really nice.

Having played though quite a few times with the various Wesp patches, all I know is I enjoyed the game much more with his restored/fixed stuff.

As for the companion mod, it just seemed utterly gay, I just have no interest in it.

sheek

Arbiter
Speaking of day and night, I wonder if the dates have any gameplay/story effects? I always thought it would be interesting if time passed by and you could only do so much in one night (though quests would have to have time requirements).

Wesp said:
Set the date of the game to 22.10.2004 and fixed minor text issues.

sheek said:
Speaking of day and night, I wonder if the dates have any gameplay/story effects? I always thought it would be interesting if time passed by and you could only do so much in one night (though quests would have to have time requirements).

Wesp said:
Set the date of the game to 22.10.2004 and fixed minor text issues.

If you invest in the nightclub, you can only collect your money after a certain amount of gametime. I think it is measured in quests, though not entirely main quests - doing a bunch of sidequests seems to make time pass, as does doing any one main quest.

Phelot

Arcane
I thought you only get money from clubs after finishing main quests?

Also, I just recently played through again using Wesps mod. It adds a bunch of poster quests, I believe a quest with Bertram Tung, a whole slew of little tidbits like starting with a lockpick, getting crossbow and sword from The Cathayan.

I tried the companion mod and while it's an interesting concept, it just didn't really seem all that cool. I guess it's convenient dragging along like 5 prostitutes to use for blood, but I suppose that kind of defeats the prupose...

sheek

Arbiter
Did the Companion mod seem stable? Did you notice any bugs?

Generally don't have much interest in the companions because it seems guaranteed to break the game balance, and is based on a lower patch version than Wesp's latest. If it adds bugs as well there's no reason to try it.

Phelot

Arcane
sheek said:
Did the Companion mod seem stable? Did you notice any bugs?

Generally don't have much interest in the companions because it seems guaranteed to break the game balance, and is based on a lower patch version than Wesp's latest. If it adds bugs as well there's no reason to try it.

It does a good job of not allowing you (IIRC) to gain companions before completing their related quests so as not to break them.

I did have an incident of telling VV to return to were I found her and she disappeared, as well as telling others to return and not being able to initiate dialogue. Otherwise, there really aren't any bugs.

There is a known issue of not being able to select things like computers or boxes in your haven, but this is something that can happen in any version of the game. Apparently it's caused by having too many objects or something, which means it's more likely to happen with the companion mod. Luckily, all you do is reload from a save and you're normally OK.

Otherwise, I never encountered any bugs, but yeah it does make the game terribly unbalanced...

sheek

Arbiter
Anyone tried these mods?

http://paine.planetvampire.gamespy.com/vtmb/files/638/

Fledgling Mod

This mod increases the difficulty of Bloodlines by taking away one clan discipline from each PC clan, and makes it much harder to slake the player's bloodthirst throughout the game.

The reasoning behind this is to simulate the fact that the PC is newly-embraced and lacks all of the powers an older vampire has, while also requiring the player to feed more frequently, oftentimes flirting with the Beast as there is a decent frenzy penalty as well.

I made this mod after playing VTMB many times and never feeling that supposed "tension" with being an undead monster, as it is very easy to never frenzy even once or kill anybody while feeding. Maintaining a humanity score of ten is almost a joke, so I cooked this up to add a little flavor to my favorite vampire game, and perhaps breathe new life into a game that many of us have played out as every clan already.

http://paine.planetvampire.gamespy.com/vtmb/files/639/

Bloodlust Mod

This mod introduces the element of time into Bloodlines, making for an even more intense game, as you will discover that you can no longer just waltz around all night without feeding. As time passes in the game, even without using any disciplines, your blood pool will slowly drop, until you are forced to make hunger checks for frenzy... which is more like being an actual undead monster, IMO.

Anyway, it is a large download (119MB) only because I had to tweak the maps... sorry about that, there's nothing I could do about it. The mod is built on top of a Wesp 6.1 patch, and is fully compatible with my Fledgling Mod, if you want to go "Full Monty" with your Bloodlines game. Just install the Bloodlust Mod first, and then install or reinstall the Fledgling Mod afterwards... and good luck to you. By the time you reach the end of the story, you will have had to drain LA dry.

I have an alternate download site at megaupload.com that should take you about fifteen minutes if you have a decent connection speed:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=XESPWNC5

Bloodlust changelog from vanilla version:
+ slow, constant erosion of blood level
+ frenzy penalty to all clans
+ feeding penalty to all clans (less than Fledgling Mod levels, though)
+ no rat feeding except for nossies

Have fun, you thirsty beast!

http://paine.planetvampire.gamespy.com/vtmb/files/640/

Expanded Histories Mod

This little mod will add six new and exciting histories to your Bloodlines new character choices.

It is fully compatible with any kind of patch or other mod... just follow the easy installation instructions that come in the package, and you're all set!

Histories:
Flash - adds a shorter-lived Celerity discipline to any clan, for a price.
Psychic - adds a shorter-lived Auspex discipline to any clan, for a price.
Stalker - adds a shorter-lived Obfuscate discipline to any clan, for a price.
Stoneskin - gives a sizable armor bonus, while taking away passive regeneration.
Sharpshooter - Ranged combat and Intimidate bonus, penalty to raising Charisma and Subterfuge
Superpredator - Bonuses to physical stats, makes you need to kill in order to feed.

Have fun!

I've got Wesp's 6.1 and these all are supposed to work with it. And unlike most mods they increase the difficulty. On the other hand I wanted to use a Ventrue, I am afraid it might be a little overkill.

Eh I doubt the increased difficulty will be exponential, each mod will overwrite most of what the previous one does, either way it's worth a shot just for the experience.

Phelot

Arcane
sheek said:
Anyone tried these mods?

Fledgling Mod

This mod increases the difficulty of Bloodlines by taking away one clan discipline from each PC clan, and makes it much harder to slake the player's bloodthirst throughout the game.

The reasoning behind this is to simulate the fact that the PC is newly-embraced and lacks all of the powers an older vampire has, while also requiring the player to feed more frequently, oftentimes flirting with the Beast as there is a decent frenzy penalty as well.

I made this mod after playing VTMB many times and never feeling that supposed "tension" with being an undead monster, as it is very easy to never frenzy even once or kill anybody while feeding. Maintaining a humanity score of ten is almost a joke, so I cooked this up to add a little flavor to my favorite vampire game, and perhaps breathe new life into a game that many of us have played out as every clan already.

Bloodlust Mod

This mod introduces the element of time into Bloodlines, making for an even more intense game, as you will discover that you can no longer just waltz around all night without feeding. As time passes in the game, even without using any disciplines, your blood pool will slowly drop, until you are forced to make hunger checks for frenzy... which is more like being an actual undead monster, IMO.

Anyway, it is a large download (119MB) only because I had to tweak the maps... sorry about that, there's nothing I could do about it. The mod is built on top of a Wesp 6.1 patch, and is fully compatible with my Fledgling Mod, if you want to go "Full Monty" with your Bloodlines game. Just install the Bloodlust Mod first, and then install or reinstall the Fledgling Mod afterwards... and good luck to you. By the time you reach the end of the story, you will have had to drain LA dry.

I have an alternate download site at megaupload.com that should take you about fifteen minutes if you have a decent connection speed:

These two sound good since I never had a problem finding enough blood, even when I played a Ventrue though I did have to resurface a few times during the sewer stage since you can't suck from rats. Speaking of Ventrue, I never had a problem with prostitutes IIRC? I thought you were suppose to barf or something, though I only tried once.

In any case that game is way too easy. I've played through a number of times and I've never had much trouble. I never played vanilla and I wonder if it was more challenging than Wesp minus the plus stuff?

sheek

Arbiter
Satori said:
Eh I doubt the increased difficulty will be exponential, each mod will overwrite most of what the previous one does, either way it's worth a shot just for the experience.
They are compatible because they are by the same author and he recommends combining them.

Re: Wesp 6.1

I found a bug within the first minute of playing. The door through which you're supposed to go in the tutorial after Jack hears the Sabbat won't open.

Another bug, I was in the hospital and had sneaked around upstairs. The guard saw me but I escaped. Later the Prince sends me on the quest to get the werewolf blood, I go through the front entrance of the hospital and I am instantaneously teleported upstairs and enter the interrogation dialog with the guard.

Hope this isn't typical.

Ghoulem

Erudite
Satori said:
I found a bug within the first minute of playing. The door through which you're supposed to go in the tutorial after Jack hears the Sabbat won't open.
That one appears in vanilla sometimes too.

sheek

Arbiter
Know what causes it? I tried reloading the auto-save created on arriving in the tutorial, using the console to "unstick" reset collision detection etc and nothing. Only thing I didn't try was restarting a game.

sheek

Arbiter
phelot said:
sheek said:
Anyone tried these mods?

Fledgling Mod

Bloodlust Mod

These two sound good since I never had a problem finding enough blood, even when I played a Ventrue though I did have to resurface a few times during the sewer stage since you can't suck from rats. Speaking of Ventrue, I never had a problem with prostitutes IIRC? I thought you were suppose to barf or something, though I only tried once.

In any case that game is way too easy. I've played through a number of times and I've never had much trouble. I never played vanilla and I wonder if it was more challenging than Wesp minus the plus stuff?
I haven't tried these mods and started a Malkavian build, because that's what a lot of people say you must play as. So far still in Santa Monica it doesn't seem any different in options, except I was allowed to dement the nurse to let me into the hospital (?), the dialog choices aren't that funny and just make it more confusing to work out what question you're asking.

Is Ventrue a more interesting play through?

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
sheek said:
I haven't tried these mods and started a Malkavian build, because that's what a lot of people say you must play as. So far still in Santa Monica it doesn't seem any different in options, except I was allowed to dement the nurse to let me into the hospital (?), the dialog choices aren't that funny and just make it more confusing to work out what question you're asking.

Don't play a Malkavian as your first clan when playing in Bloodlines. ANY of the clans are fine to play through for your first time. You won't really appreciate the Malkavian unless you have played Bloodlines before.

And yes, Ventrue is just fine to pick (as are any of the clans).

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Liberal said:
You won't really appreciate the Malkavian unless you have played Bloodlines before.
Bullshit.

True. *IF* you understand the class and it's.... um abilities then yes. Having played the original V:TM setting a few times in PnP I was surprised how well Troika was able to pull this off so well.

Carceri

Arcane
I played Bloodlines for the first time with a Malkavian and I enjoyed it a lot. In fact, after the Malky experience the rest of the clans seemed kind of meh.

Vibalist

Arcane
sheek said:

You suck.

Carceri said:
I played Bloodlines for the first time with a Malkavian and I enjoyed it a lot. In fact, after the Malky experience the rest of the clans seemed kind of meh.
Agreed. It was a pretty big mindfuck when you're talking in poetry and making crazy jokes from nowhere. Although after a few play-throughs I could appreciate what the hell was going on when I replayed a Malk some run-throughs after so maybe you can get two fresh experiences from the same clan?

sheek

Arbiter
Don't use the Bloodlust mod. It makes the game unplayable.

1/ It's impossible to keep blood level high. I am running around with 2 points of blood most of the time and I am feeding every fifteen minutes. It seems that the higher your current blood level the faster you lose blood points. I have managed to get my blood up to about 6 points and it goes down -1 after about 30 seconds, then another -1 a minute later.

So there's no point building a 'reserve' of blood by feeding or using bloodpacks. You have to accept that you can at most 2 blood point using actions before needing a blood pack

2/ Much bigger problem, health is linked to blood. And since blood is calculated in units of which you have only 8, a one point loss of blood reduces your health by about 20%. After just having fed and been at 100% health three minutes later I am down to 60% just from that mechanic. The loss of health is sudden and large (around 20%)... hasn't happened to me yet but imagine being in a fight when that happens.

Another reason why it's better to have low blood, when you're down to 2 you don't seem to lose any more.

It is an interesting idea because it has forced me to act like a human and be very careful. Use of a discipline is only for emergencies, no Blood Buffing to lock pick a door, it's just too expensive.

I'm going to see if I can modify the python to at least make the rate of blood loss slower.

sheek

Arbiter
The other mods are good though.

Combine them by copy and pasting the histories000 and traiteffects000 from Expanded Histories and Fledgling, that's all you need to do. I haven't used the Expanded histories (used Slut to compensate the feeding reduction, though for some reason it's doing the opposite... I get way more blood from Blood Dolls than male NPCs), but they are definitely interesting. You get unique Disciplines which you can' increase at very severe penalties (max Strength 1 for the 5 second Celerity discipline).

As a Ventrue female slut I am getting about 2 blood points from the upper class guy outside the apartments in Santa Monica, only by draining him to within 1 point of death. The average NPC gives me 1 blood point max and I get nothing from the homeless guys.

If you don't like Bloodlust just delete the one python file, it will get rid of the script that controls 'thirst'.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom