Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What do you call a Muslim warrior class?

Stella Brando

Arcane
I want to create a Middle-Eastern style warrior.

He may come with baggy pants, pointy shoes, curvy sword, ridiculous "salaam, effendi," accent, you name it.

What do you call this kind of character?

Yeah, yeah, "terrorist" "suicide bomber" "new German" "Andhaira." I know, I know.

Is there any other features of this character type I should be aware of?

Besides a tendency to blow up, I mean.

Last edited:

Prime Junta

Al-Qadim used askar, faris (paladin-esque knight), and mamluk (slave warrior). Askar and faris are just generic words meaning "warrior" and "knight." Mamluks were Egyptian slave warriors historically, who ended up deposing their commanders and running the show.

Then there's fida'i (pl. often spelled fedayeen; sworn death commando, think special forces or elite paramilitary). Sipahi is the Iranian word for mounted warrior; the Ottomans borrowed both the word and the unit into their military organisation.

If you don't mind the historical specificity (like mamluk), you might consider "janissary." It's a familiar word which definitely suggests baggy pants, pointy shoes, and a scimitar. They were Ottoman elite infantry.

Stella Brando

Arcane
Thanks for your answer. Jannissaies and Mamluks I'd heard of before, stuff like Askar and Faris I hadn't.

Captain Haddock from Tintin liked the term "Bashi-bazouk."

There's also stuff like Dervish, Assassin, Sheik, but maybe they're not right here.

Do you have an interest in Eastern history? I was reading about the Crusades, it's interesting.

Prime Junta

Bashi-bazouks were Turkish irregulars. Dervishes aren't warriors, they're mystics/holy men, a bit like monks. Assassins are... well, assassins, originally an Ismaili sect run from Alamut, so not exactly warriors. Sheikh is a term denoting respect with an enormous range of meanings; anyone from a street gang leader to family patriarch to religious authority figure to warleader could be called 'sheikh.'

I do have an interest in history in general and have done some reading in Middle Eastern history. I also have personal connections to the region and visit from time to time. It's fascinating stuff.

If you want a different point of view on the Crusades, Amin Maalouf's The Crusades through Arab Eyes is a very good read. I also liked Anne-Marie Eddé's biography of Saladin -- it reads like a novel but the research is solid, and it gives an immensely vivid picture of the stuff going on at the time.

Amin Maalouf also wrote Samarkand which is a historical novel set all around the Middle East around the year 1000. Also a good read.

Last edited by a moderator:

Prime Junta

Re the other questions in your edited post -- which historical period are you thinking of? Early medieval, late medieval, early modern, modern? And are you thinking of someone who's a part of a military force or a solitary fighting man?

Is your intent to portray this class as a stereotyped buffoon/comic relief, bad-guy antagonist, good-guy protagonist, or something else? Is your game set somewhere other than the Middle East so that e.g. the accent would stand out and be perceived as ridiculous? Or is it in the ME, but the character is from somewhere else than the setting, to the same effect? 'Efendim' is Turkish for example and it would sound a little ridiculous in an Arab country.

Edit: another one -- muharrib: warrior. From Arabic 'harb,' war. (Askar is more 'soldier.')

Stella Brando

Arcane
I haven't got very far with this game, it's just ideas floating around in my head.

I'd like to create a game set in Outremer during and just before the third crusade, with Saladin, Richard I, Templars or Hospitaliers, and Assassins. So around 1190.

I'd like four player characters, two Christian and two Saracen. The Christians would probably be one of Richard's knights and a local Templar or similar.

The Mohammedans would be an Assassin and some warrior character I'm having trouble pinning down, hence this thread. I think he'd be a heroic character, not a buffoon. He could be Saladin's man, or someone more independent.

I saw a documentary on TV with King Richard charging up the beaches and taking Joppa, and imagined something like that.

I guess my characters would be military but also would have the option of roaming freely and doing their own things. It's not realistic, but good for the game. Maybe something like HBO's Rome, with the characters having adventures and stumbling into famous events with Dick and Sally.

All this stuff is not set in stone, it could definately be changed.

I'm glad you're here, I appreciate your knowledge.

Last edited:

Prime Junta

Sounds very cool.

There are a quite a few options for your Saracen warrior that wouldn't do too much violence to history.

He could be an Arab prince's trusted retainer: someone who's been in the family for generations, and is given important tasks with a lot of leeway about how to accomplish them. This would fit the fida'i archetype; he'd be a fighting man who's also a diplomat, spy, and special agent.

Or, he could be a prince: perhaps a younger brother in a high-ranking family; perhaps the patriarch regards him as too young and impetuous to be given a position of serious responsibility, so instead he's allowed to do more or less what he likes as long as he doesn't dishonour the family. Perhaps the patriarch figures that a few years of that will develop his character so he can take up a more serious job. Maybe he himself resents being passed over in favour of his more serious older brothers and feels he needs to prove himself. He could have a small retinue of his own. His story would be driven by the family connection: as its fortunes rise and fall, it makes different demands of him. This would be more the faris archetype.

Or, variant: still a prince, with the training and upbringing that that implies, but the family has been defeated, dispossessed, and most of it executed. He would probably want revenge on whoever did it, and restoration of family honour and glory. No ties, but no resources either. Still a faris.

Or he could be a runaway slave warrior. Perhaps his army got defeated and he took off on his own, and has been living off banditry and petty crime since. Your campaign could give him a new purpose. He'd be a hard man, an uncultured, tough survivor, in constant danger of being recognised and recaptured. This would be a muharrib or mamluk.

If you want an English knight, a Templar, an Assassin, and an Arab prince adventuring together, you have to get pretty creative with the back story -- but I'm sure it could be done, and could result in a very cool premise and starting point for a campaign. Remember though that the assassins were notorious for their ability to stay undercover -- there's no way the others would know he is one until he reveals it, and he would have to be on a mission with an agenda of his own. The assassins were universally hated and feared, and I can't see how the other three wouldn't have just nailed him to a tree first thing if they found out who he is.

Stella Brando

Arcane
Wow, thanks for the information and ideas.

I like the idea of the high-ranking Saracen and an undercover Assassin.

The assassins who executed the King of Jerusalem were undercover as monks for two months, I could go that route.

The characters don't need to be all one side, they can double cross or work against each other.

Thanks a lot.

I need some time to digest all this...

Stella Brando

Arcane
I guess this thread has been moved to the Pen and Paper section.

It's where it belongs now, but here no one will see it.

I hope we can talk more in future, Prime Junta. Salaam, Effendi.

Arrowgrab

Arbiter
The Mohammedans would be an Assassin and some warrior character I'm having trouble pinning down, hence this thread. I think he'd be a heroic character, not a buffoon. He could be Saladin's man, or someone more independent.

As a practical point of order, you do know that a Muslim would never call himself a "Mohammedan", neither today nor in the age of the Crusades; and, in fact, would find it an offensive term; right?

Neanderthal

Arcane
I'm not an expert on owt about Muslims or Middle East but i've run a few pen an paper games where i've had similar types o cultures hanging around, what I did to make up for lack o real knowledge were to make classes more poetical, so for instance instead o fighters i'd hav the Sons of Solitude, a sect o warriors sworn to stoicism, silence an sign language who were the finest swordsman o their day. Made up a table wi a shit load o traditions an players could pick an choose em to further tailor their character, never show face to strangers, drink no alcohol, cut self once a day, that kind a thing.

Devils of Ak'Ridaar were a group o thieves wi supposed shadow magic an mystic powers, born out of a failed coup in pre history, an located in a lost oasis. Masters of the Seven Gates were an organisation o wise men an mages, dedicated to a philosophical transcendance they saw as seven gates before paradise was unveiled, turned out there were someat else beyond their gates. Etc.

I remember whorehouses were called Demenses of the second saddle, a man should traditionally learn to ride a horse before a woman hence name.

Prime Junta

Wouldn't it be a "Jihadist" or a "Jihadi"?

The word you're looking for is "mujahid."

That means "one who engages in jihad," not any old fighter/soldier/warrior though. The Christian analog is 'crusader.'

Prime Junta

As a practical point of order, you do know that a Muslim would never call himself a "Mohammedan", neither today nor in the age of the Crusades; and, in fact, would find it an offensive term; right?

Chill. He'll figure it out.

Edit: in case you're interested though -- 'saracen' and 'moor' were terms Christians used for Arabs, as is 'Mohammedan' which is indeed considered derogatory. They called Europeans 'franji' or 'ajnabi.' The Byzantines were called 'rumi.' The Arabic word for Christian is 'massiyahi' (pl. 'massiyaheen'), from Messiah. It has no derogatory intent.

Lone Wolf

Arcane
Vatnik
Ghazi.

Ghazi (Arabic: غازى‎, ġāzī) is an Arabic word, the active participle of the verb ġazā, meaning 'to carry out a military expedition or raid'; the same verb can also mean 'to strive for' and Ghazi can thus share a similar meaning to Mujahid or "one who struggles". The verbal noun of ġazā is ġazw or ġazawān, with the meaning 'raiding'. A derived singulative in ġazwah refers to a single battle or raid. The term ghāzīdates to at least the Samanid period, where he appears as a mercenary and frontier fighter in Khorasan and Transoxiana. Later, up to 20,000 of them took part in the Indian campaigns of Mahmud of Ghazni.

Ghāzī warriors depended upon plunder for their livelihood, and were prone to brigandage and sedition in times of peace. The corporations into which they organized themselves attracted adventurers, zealots and religious and political dissidents of all ethnicities. In time, though, soldiers of Turkic ethnicity predominated, mirroring the acquisition of Mamluks, Turkic slaves in the Mamluk retinues and guard corps of the caliphs and emirs and in the ranks of the ghazi corporation, some of whom would ultimately rise to military and later political dominance in various Muslim states.

In the west, Turkic ghāzīs made continual incursions along the Byzantine frontier zone, finding in the akritai (akritoi) their Greek counterparts. After the Battle of Manzikert these incursions intensified, and the region's people would see the ghāzī corporations coalesce into semi-chivalric fraternities, with the white cap and the club as their emblems. The height of the organizations would come during the Mongol conquest when many of them fled from Persia and Turkistan into Anatolia.

As organizations, the ghazi corporations were fluid, reflecting their popular character, and individual ghāzī warriors would jump between them depending upon the prestige and success of a particular emir, rather like the mercenary bands around westerncondottiere. It was from these Anatolian territories conquered during the ghazw that the Ottoman Empire emerged, and in its legendary traditions it is said that its founder, Osman I, came forward as a ghāzī thanks to the inspiration of Shaikh Ede Bali.

In later periods of Islamic history the honorific title of ghāzī was assumed by those Muslim rulers who showed conspicuous success in extending the domains of Islam, and eventually the honorific became exclusive to them, much as the Roman title imperator became the exclusive property of the supreme ruler of the Roman state and his family.

Arrowgrab

Arbiter
Edit: in case you're interested though -- 'saracen' and 'moor' were terms Christians used for Arabs, as is 'Mohammedan' which is indeed considered derogatory. They called Europeans 'franji' or 'ajnabi.' The Byzantines were called 'rumi.' The Arabic word for Christian is 'massiyahi' (pl. 'massiyaheen'), from Messiah. It has no derogatory intent.

And on that note, the Arabic word for a Crusader - i.e., a proper, Christian, European warrior in the Crusades -, is 'Salībiyyūn' (pl. 'Salībiyyīn'), which is derived from 'Salībī' ('cross'), so it could be literally translated as 'Cross-ians'.

mondblut

Arcane
What do you call this kind of character?

Yeah, yeah, "terrorist" "suicide bomber" "new German" "Andhaira." I know, I know.

Is there any other features of this character type I should be aware of?

Besides a tendency to blow up, I mean.

Not really. The tendency to blow up is the only thing that distinguishes him.

sser

Arcane
Developer
The word assassin comes from Hashishun, a powerful sect of nobles, soldiers, and assassins that marauded around Mesopotamia/Persia until the Mongols came and bulldozed their fortress.

T.E. Lawrence noted that Arabs loved to wear the clothes of their enemies (notably, he was running a guerilla campaign). A Khadit/Khadium would be a deceiver(s) of sorts, but it's probably an improper usage.

Ajdahukush -- dragon killer.

You can find similar translations/transliterations here.

Prime Junta

The word assassin comes from Hashishun, a powerful sect of nobles, soldiers, and assassins that marauded around Mesopotamia/Persia until the Mongols came and bulldozed their fortress.

That's... inaccurate. They didn't exactly maraud, they infiltrated, extorted, and assassinated, and they did it far further afield than Mesopotamia and Persia, all the way to Syria and Egypt. They even famously whacked Conrad of Montferrat, the king of Jerusalem. The Wikipedia article on them isn't half bad actually: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assassins

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom