Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What do You Pay for New Games?

For the game you want the most in one year. Including expansions DLC, not Soundtrack + other crap.

• £20

Votes: 10 30.3%
  • £40

Votes: 7 21.2%
  • £60

Votes: 6 18.2%
  • £80

Votes: 3 9.1%
  • £100+

Votes: 3 9.1%
  • I'm a Jewish pirate

Votes: 10 30.3%

• Total voters

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I was looking at GOG's prices for Mechwarrior 5 and it's £98.49. Standard game + expansions. X4 is £75.33 with DLC, with another expansion on the way probably bringing it up to at least £90.

So about $115 -$125 rounded up for each game.

I dunno if I've become an Jew in principle, but I just can't bring myself to part with my money. Even at 50% to 60% off it's still too expensive. And I don't even play new games anymore, but I see X4 as the better deal since that game will eat years of your life, but I might even end up hating MW5 mercs with its dumbfuck mechanics.

So what's the plan these days? The game is a consumable thing that you try with the base game being the spaghetti, and the DLCs being the sauce? And then the meatballs and aubergine. Are all of the mechanics of the game in the base games these days?. Whole thing has changed.

Ezekiel

Arcane
I'll never understand Brits and continental Europeans who use their local currency when asking international online communities questions about money. I have no idea how much 20 pounds is. At least Americans are justified with their currency being the biggest in the world.

Falksi

Arcane
I don't mind paying top dollar, but I rarely do now simply because I've 0 faith in most games being released in a complete state.

I'd sooner buy like 4-5 Indie games and back those chaps, than chuck big money at AAA devs who give me broken gaming.

KafkaBot

Scholar
Depends on the game and developer, honestly. Most of the time, if it is an indie or mid-sized project that I am genuinely interested in, I'll buy it at full price to support the developers. If it is something that just seems rather nice, I'll wait for a sale. If it has retarded DRM mechanics (some japanese games actually still have limits on the number of activations in this day and age), I'll pirate the thing and never look back.

Of course, all of this only applies if the price is not abusive. If a developer is charging AAA or AA prices (say, $35+) for an indie title that is essentially a glorified RPG Maker game, they can go fuck themselves; I'll pirate their shit on principle, even if the game is on sale.

AAA titles? Most of them do not interest me at all and, when they do, they're often so full of needless bullshit that I just pirate them remorselessly. The only AAA title I bought at full price in the last few years was Elden Ring and I'm not even sure if it counts (I'd definitely not call Sekiro or Dark Souls 3 AAA, given their relatively smaller budgets).

If a game is great and made by a good studio, I'm willing to buy the Collector's Edition in some cases. That happens VERY rarely, though (last time I splurged like this was when Mahou Tsukai no Yoru came out for the Switch), mostly because only console games do that sort of thing nowadays and I mostly play on PC.

Because of all this, I voted for £100+, because I've actually spent that amount of money on some special editions. I'd definitely not pay that much for 99% of games out there, though, even those that interest me.

ind33d

Learned
the actual problem is that games cost too little. games were better when they were comparatively more expensive accounting for inflation, i.e. the SNES/Genesis era

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Even at 50% to 60% off it's still too expensive. And I don't even play new games anymore, but I see X4 as the better deal since that game will eat years of your life, but I might even end up hating MW5 mercs with its dumbfuck mechanics.
I always wait for a sale on things. I recently got everything Grim Dawn for around $30, base game and all expansions. Same thing with X4. I've got around half of the DLC for City Skylines, but I've never paid more than the 75% off price for any of them. IsThereAnyDeal is pretty decent for hunting down sales on things, and even helps you sift through bundle deals that certain sites have.

I paid full price for Elden Ring. I never pay full price if the game is over 30 bucks but that was a very select exception.
I didn't like Elden Ring that much though.

cpmartins

Cipher
After I've enjoyed your product, I'll think about paying you. I usually do unless you're a fucking cunt, like those trannies from Caves of Qud.

Itoh

Literate
I usually wait for a sale on Steam or Gog before buying something, but I'll pay full price if I'm especially interested, and only pirate for emulation purposes. I'll go against the popular opinion and say that $70 is a perfectly reasonable amount to expect people to pay for an AAA game. (Sure, most of them suck, but most AAA games have always sucked, and $70 is fair price for a good one.)

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Even I won't pay $70 for Dragon's Dogma 2. If they remove Denuvo (and I never complain about DRM) and cut its price to a more reasonable $49.99 then I'll consider it.

cpmartins

Cipher
Even I won't pay $70 for Dragon's Dogma 2. If they remove Denuvo (and I never complain about DRM) and cut its price to a more reasonable $49.99 then I'll consider it.
I was about to make an exception for DD2, but the low performance did it for me. I just loved DD:DA so much I was willing to be cucked by Denuvo for this one instance.

ferratilis

Magister
I only pay 60 for games developed by Joshua E. Sawyer, because my boy lives in California and rent, prostitutes, and bicycle wheels aren't cheap, yo.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
If they remove Denuvo (and I never complain about DRM)
The story about the guy trying to get the game working with Proton for Steam Deck users only to get locked out of the game by the DRM is probably the best reason to pass on this title. One thing I'll never understand is developers trying to protect their properties so much that they actually make pirating it so much more viable.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom