Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Replaying Arcanum many years later - it’s always nice to wait long enough to forget most of a game but still know the basic framework of how it works. Entered Black Mountain Mine as a gunslinger around level 14; on the third floor and several levels later I’m starting to feel worn down and hopeless. That optional pack of Brute Fangs was nuts, and thank God for trap detect scrolls. After mostly avoiding or taking combat slowly due to low cash/bullets before now, I’m starting to understand when I should be using the turn-based mode or not.

I remember hating it in the past, but now knowing it’s one of the few mandatory sections like it I don’t want the gauntlet to end..
Black Mountain Mine is notorious for its difficulty.
And sheer number of traps.
Since I assume you are a Tech character, build a Flow Specktrometer. It allows you to detect traps but it does require batteries (you can buy those from Inventor shops).

Semiurge

Cipher
Quake 2 Enhanced Edition seems alright, I knew of the restored content brought up but there's also new enemy sounds that were never mentioned in the reviews. The enforcer now has two sounds it can make when alerted, and likewise the gladiator now has two potential death sounds. The lack of BethNet telemetry is great. It went to ridiculous lengths in Quake 1 EE.

There's some odd things also. The music tracks seem to loop a random number of times, before being replaced by a calmer ambient track. This often never loops, and after it ends you'll have silence. I also noticed that the music tracks fade out when you complete the level's final objective, but that's probably intentional. This is the first time I'm playing with the full soundtrack so I have no idea what's to be expected.

The berserker's leap attack is ridiculous. It doesn't do any damage anymore, but the leap seems to have no distance limitation. They can basically teleport next to you from any distance, and the leap is almost impossible to dodge. It's like it's hitscan. The parasite's attack also has an almost unlimited range. What the fuck?
I noticed that enemies like the berserker had attacks i didn't remembered from the og, i wonder if it's an EE thing or it was because i picked a higher difficulty setting

The berserker's leap and the ability to swing its hammer while running are an EE thing, as is the ability to dodge the parasite's attack. The brain also has a new attack now, enemy behaviour in general has been changed slightly.

Semiurge

Cipher
I still don't like how Lara will often not jump, just like in the GOG version. He said it probably depends on which step she has taken. Don't remember that in Tomb Raider 2.

You're literally the only person who's ever complained about that. The problem's on your end.

Ezekiel

Arcane
I still don't like how Lara will often not jump, just like in the GOG version. He said it probably depends on which step she has taken. Don't remember that in Tomb Raider 2.

You're literally the only person who's ever complained about that. The problem's on your end.
The other guy already explained. It's different. Can't be certain, but it seems like trying to jump forward from a stationary position is more temperamental in the remaster than in the PlayStation version.

Semiurge

Cipher

The other guy already explained. It's different. Can't be certain, but it seems like trying to jump forward from a stationary position is more temperamental in the remaster than in the PlayStation version.

Didn't you complain somewhere else about this bug being in the classic versions? It never existed in those, not on PC anyway.

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
Yep, i think i am done with the space cats saga WAD. Went further in the first map of the third episode and it's a hot garbage. Will definitely be using those characters in some other map/wad but with this one in particular i am done.
Next on my list is a Pirate Doom. Yar!
gzdoom7FtUiUUO6b.png

This one definitely look better with dynamic lights on methinks.
gzdoomzQzdP5aaKp.png

gzdoomiRcdFfYnLs.png
gzdoomX4hDBYDhDc.png
gzdoomAdxro84lnO.png

Using GZDoom and that Fullscreen HUD mod again.
EDIT: Wrong thread. Wanted to post this in a screenshot thread.
Anyway, still wasting my time on various Doom and Quake maps.

Last edited:

axx

Savant
Finished Grim Fandango. Liked most of it, except some obscure puzzles and the annoying screaming demon driver. Not on the top of my fav adventure games list though.

Also tried Tunic but couldn't get into it. For what seems to be a one man project it's a good game, but I've probably been spoiled by Hob which seems superior, better looking, more interactive and more polished. I'll probably give Tunic another chance later.

Denim Destroyer

Learned
Dragon Quest 1 (SNES remake + Rod Merida translation): Out of curiosity I decided to give this game a try after being provided a link to what was touted as an excellent fan translation. Never having played any game in this series I did not know what to expect. The best overall aspect of Dragon Quest 1 is its succinctness. You have a single goal of defeating the Dragon Lord which the game does not pad out with extraneous nonsense. All you need to do is become stronger, collect the items necessary to reach his lair, then defeat him. Unfortunately this simplicity rears its head in other aspects of the game. NPCs are mostly useless and only comment on the current state of things, unlike Ultima 4 which released the year prior and has NPCs which state their philosophy and comment on the world itself. Combat is another problem but that is to be expected of the game which defined the early JRPG genre. Attacking is what you would expect, swing your melee weapon or use one of your mostly useless combat spells. Combat rarely feels engaging unless you are fighting one of the few mandatory encounters which are often tough but still fair. This is especially egregious since there is way too much combat, also like Ultima 4, you will quickly become over leveled and wish monsters would stop spawning! My preference in role playing games leans more towards puzzle solving, world exploration, and character builds which are not things this game specializes in so it is fair to say I am outside the target audience for Dragon Quest.

This game is not for me but I can see how it appeals towards those whose favorite aspect of RPGs is seeing stats increase.

Last edited:

kites

samsung verizon hitachi
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
DQ2 was clearly rushed, but it was slightly more complex than 1 (bigger world, larger party, more spells, more save points etc). I appreciated the exploration/non-linearity once you get the boat (though that’s up to personal preference; it can feel directionless). They messed up with the bosses and especially with the general pacing, some areas are a pain in the ass.

I think many would prefer 1 as it’s a case of “short but sweet” when viewing the two against each other. So if you didn’t enjoy 1 it’s probably just not for you.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Continuing the Temple of Elemental Evil run.
I cleaned out the Moathouse.
I did surprisingly well, though there were some close calls. Some nasty fights - the gnolls, the bugbear group and the Ogre. The Ogre can be tricked into letting you get past him, but you need a cloak of Eye of Flame. You can find several in a nearby chest. I just ambushed and killed him.
Fight with Lareth can be rough, but I layed down some Glitterdust, Enlarge Person on my Barbarian (who also has Improved Trip), and other spells and emerged victorious.
Did some quests in Nulb and I am getting ready for another potentially brutal encounter - The Imeryds Run fight with the Giant Frog, the Sea Hag and the Giant Gar.

My party is comprised of 5 characters -
Paladin, Cleric, Rogue/Swashbuckler, Barbarian and Wizard.

jackofshadows

Magister
Still getting assblasted by FTL. This thing is among one of the most powerful games at pissing people off. Also I can't, for the fuck of me, unlock the last ship. Either doing pointless runs on rock cruiser type c or losing on weak ass ships as mantis a (so fucking fun to play w/o sensors, died in a fire last time as a total newb) or engi b where you basically don't have a starting crew aka free labor. Man, it's tough.

Caim

Arcane
I gave the demo of shapez 2 a try.

This is made by crazy people who took a look at Factorio and scoffed because it was not autistic enough. This is pure, concentrated auts in which you move, cut, turn, stack and split shapes consisting of four segments (circles, squares and stars) and stick them together to throw them into the big hole in the center of the map. There are no resources, there are no enemies, research is done by making different shapes and chucking them into the hole. This is the factory genre taken to its logical conclusion to make something only the most addled or most brilliant mind could enjoy. I wonder what kind of sick and twisted mind could even conceive of-

BMWE_Fz_2017_Office_Farbe_en.png

...I see.

Demo's free on Steam in case you want to check it out.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2162800/shapez_2/

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Finished Deus Ex: Human Revolution.

Goddamn. I had immense fun with this one. And the ending had me giggling like a retard for five minutes. I pity those who had it spoiled for them.

:4.5/5:

Eirinjas

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex
Dragon Quest 1 (SNES remake + Rod Merida translation): Out of curiosity I decided to give this game a try after being provided a link to what was touted as an excellent fan translation. Never having played any game in this series I did not know what to expect. The best overall aspect of Dragon Quest 1 is its succinctness. You have a single goal of defeating the Dragon Lord which the game does not pad out with extraneous nonsense. All you need to do is become stronger, collect the items necessary to reach his lair, then defeat him. Unfortunately this simplicity rears its head in other aspects of the game. NPCs are mostly useless and only comment on the current state of things, unlike Ultima 4 which released the year prior and has NPCs which state their philosophy and comment on the world itself. Combat is another problem but that is to be expected of the game which defined the early JRPG genre. Attacking is what you would expect, swing your melee weapon or use one of your mostly useless combat spells. Combat rarely feels engaging unless you are fighting one of the few mandatory encounters which are often tough but still fair. This is especially egregious since there is way too much combat, also like Ultima 4, you will quickly become over leveled and wish monsters would stop spawning! My preference in role playing games leans more towards puzzle solving, world exploration, and character builds which are not things this game specializes in so it is fair to say I am outside the target audience for Dragon Quest.

This game is not for me but I can see how it appeals towards those whose favorite aspect of RPGs is seeing stats increase.
I played Dragon Warrior on the NES when I was a kid and remember falling asleep during some of the battles, because it was a grindy-ass game and the novelty of fighting wears off quick with the rudimentary combat. I liked the gist of the game, but not the execution.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
I would appreciate Human Revolution better if it didn't have that awful piss filter...
didn't the director's cut actually toned it down?
Yep, it looks much better.

Kabas

I went with

Self-destruction. For someone who complains about not being given a choice, it made the most sense for Jensen to refuse to take the choice away from the world

Then today I replayed the final battle again, and

Chose to deliver Taggart's message because I personally think augmentations were good but unrestrained augs are a nightmare.

Modron

Arcane
didn't the director's cut actually toned it down?
Yes but it made a lot of the graphics quite a bit worse (and including a number of them that are just plain bugged) since it was a port of the later released wii port. Only things it has going for it is piss filter removal (which there are probably mods that do the same thing) and better dlc sequence integration into game.

Krivol

Magister
Fallout: Sonora. It's pure magic!

System balancing is close to perfect (making the old F2 system much more playable and some builds better), and the world is built around all skills (well, except First Aid) so almost any build is viable. Worldbuilding is great. Main story... well it got me by surprise in a few places and learning who is pulling strings was (almost) a shock.

Writing is good, nothing special, but definitely serviceable and MUCH better than anything from Bethesda since.... I don't know, ever? (yet I used a Polish translation from the Nexus).

I like the flow, the feeling and how consistent with F1, F2 and NV it is.

Cons? Well, Mexico-themed Fallout has maybe 2 Mexicans you can talk to... a special feat to know the Spanish language seems like trolling. It would be much better if you could join the Mex faction. Oh and CHA is still rather useless (even less than in F2).

Noticeable changes: Small guns skill is now for pistols and SMGs only, and rifles are with big guns. At first, I hated that change (well, guess which skill I tagged :P ) but it makes sense and turns bullshitty Big Guns into great skill (OTOH Energy Weapons are for any kind of Energy Weapon...), skill books are extremely pricey but (IMO) are better than in F1/F2.

You can download the English version (no idea about translation quality!) with DLC from here:

Russian 1.12 with DLC
English translation compatible

9/10, on par with classics. I've heard it was done mostly by a simple guy (with some help ofc) from the middle of Siberia... No idea if this is true but man...

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Finished Generals campaign, on to zero hour.
I have to say though, I don't like Generals.
I see why people like it, it does have some nice battles, but the campaign is atrociously designed and cheap and I really, really don't like how it doesn't play like a CnC game and instead like starcraft or some shit.

The pace does feel like Cnc in a way, but having to micro building and recruitment when there's all sorts of shit happening at once doesn't feel right.
It doesn't help that for some unholy reason they don't tell you the keybindings in game and there's no deploy button, which is a problem for China mission 2 in zero hour because you have to defend with nuke cannons and they can't just deploy, so for most of the mission you have to micro them so they stop being retarded. FFS, Tiberium Sun got that right with Nod Artillery, and that was three years prior. How do you fuck that up?

Also fuck the GLA. Absolute cheap bastards. Most of the campaign is fighting them and it's always an exercise in frustration between the cheats the AI get and their broken arse mechanics.

It's not as bad as Tiberium Twilight or RA3, but it still isn't great. I'm enduring the game more than enjoying it.

Caim

Arcane
Finished Generals campaign, on to zero hour.
I have to say though, I don't like Generals.
I see why people like it, it does have some nice battles, but the campaign is atrociously designed and cheap and I really, really don't like how it doesn't play like a CnC game and instead like starcraft or some shit.

The pace does feel like Cnc in a way, but having to micro building and recruitment when there's all sorts of shit happening at once doesn't feel right.
It doesn't help that for some unholy reason they don't tell you the keybindings in game and there's no deploy button, which is a problem for China mission 2 in zero hour because you have to defend with nuke cannons and they can't just deploy, so for most of the mission you have to micro them so they stop being retarded. FFS, Tiberium Sun got that right with Nod Artillery, and that was three years prior. How do you fuck that up?

Also fuck the GLA. Absolute cheap bastards. Most of the campaign is fighting them and it's always an exercise in frustration between the cheats the AI get and their broken arse mechanics.

It's not as bad as Tiberium Twilight or RA3, but it still isn't great. I'm enduring the game more than enjoying it.
Yeah, the Generals campaign is kinda ass. Honestly the entirety of Generals is pretty jank, in an uncomfortable middle ground between Red Alert 2 and C&C 3. Sure I still love the game, but let's not pretend that there aren't any flaws here. The units have a lot of heart though, and they're carrying the story that falls woefully short in comparison to the cheesy B-movie vibe of C&C and the absolute memefest that is Red Alert.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom