Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Currently playing through Ultima VIII: Pagan, and making some recordings of the Soundtrack for it, because it simply is one of the best fucking game soundtracks of all fucking time.

Mister Arkham

Scholar
Picked up a copy of Dead Space 2 when it was on a Steam sale a week or so ago. I liked/found funny the first one enough to spend ten bucks on it, and so far I'm fairly glad I did. The game benefits greatly from the wider variety of environments and color palettes, and the story is presented a little better as well. Gameplay hasn't really changed at all, which is okay I guess, but the earlier diversity in monster types makes the early stages a bit less tedious than the first time around. Production design continues to be excellent, though the set-dressers still went overboard with the gore in places.

I like that there's more of a human presence in this one, and you get to witness the final stages of the Necromorph outbreak...but it bothers me that you never have any opportunity to save ANYONE. If someone runs by, it isn't even an option to shoot down the monster chasing them and watch them scurry off around the corner to some hypothetical safety. You just have to watch them get run down before having to turn around to kill the monsters anyway. It makes the protagonist into kind of a shit-heel, while they're otherwise trying to paint him as sympathetic and a decent guy.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
DramaticPopcorn said:
Jaesun said:
Currently playing through Ultima VIII: Pagan, and making some recordings of the Soundtrack for it, because it simply is one of the best fucking game soundtracks of all fucking time.

Not to mention, it's one of the best Ultimas :smug:

Obvious troll is obvious. It does however feature:

1. The best fucking game score ever (provided you actually own a real Sound Canvas or a JV-1080. HAI Sceptic!).
2. One of the most enjoyable magic systems for an Ultima.
3. No annoying companions.
4. The Avatar must do un-virtuous things to survive.
5. The one and only grim/dark setting in an Ultima. Better than Dragon Turd's.
6. Artwork is fantastic (for the time). It's no PST.
7. The Execution Scene.
8. Summoning Pyros. MOST. AWESOME. GAME. EVENT. EVAR!

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Jaesun said:
And I noticed you're still occasionally updating your youtube chanel. Thanks :love:

Ed123 said:
I just got to around chapter 4 on ds2, and I'm growing bored of it for the reasons a lot of reviewers pointed out - everything is so pedestrian, so predictable.
Yep, it's really a pretty meh shooter. The abundance of minigames doesn't help. Really, it's gonna be the same thing all the way to the end, so if you're so not enjoying it there's no reason to continue. The only argument for finishing it would be that's it's not too long (under 10h), but you seem to have disliked it more than I did.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Sceptic said:
Jaesun said:
And I noticed you're still occasionally updating your youtube chanel. Thanks :love:

May I ask what nicks have you got in the youtube, my dear friends? Or could you kindly add me to your friends lists so I could spread ponies into your hearts? My nickname is 'k0njad', because some tard stole 'konjad' already.

Quilty

Magister
Tropico. Again. Trying to keep the people happy and in control with the political stability and economy sliders all pushed into the rape zone. It's not easy, but hella addicting, bros.

AlaCarcuss

Arbiter
pipka said:
CoD UO is even more intense than CoD! Cool.
After CoD2 will do Ace Attorneys.

United Offensive is the best of the entire series IMHO. Both SP and MP. Actually, I believe there are still some hardcore fans still playing the MP - might have to check it out myself, UO MP was a blast. :thumbsup:

RatFink

Educated
Vietcong on Hard

which...really is hard.
the jungle after the tunnel mission was a bitch..bullets out of nowhere..i mean as long as you dont know where your enemies are this section is fuckin intense.

i now have to get down the river on that boat for the on millionth time..they always fuckin shoott my captain..mission failed..
fuck this...

good game tho..but kinda feels like one of the roots of the :decline:

pipka

Savant
Cod2 proved to be shorter than I expected. Crashed after first tutorial mission, tried to use all fixes to no avail. Still saw the signs of decline: bigger letters, brighter shimmer on quest object. On plus side: better gfx and (seems) same game mechanics formula(based on one mission). Disappointed. Uninstall.exe

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
pipka said:
same game mechanics formula(based on one mission)
No. COD/UO were MOHAA clones. COD2 popularized the health regen trend that's now the de facto standard. Gameplay is very different as a result.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Finished Curse of Enchantia. Man, some puzzles are really illogical and dumb.

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
Stranglehold,not as good as Max Payne obviously but it's always fun to blow things up and shoot people in the face

Data4

Arcane
Playing OF: Red River. I started playing it because of ennui with my current games and I'm stuck in the void waiting for TW2. I heard the game was bad, but I wanted to see for myself. It started off bad, but got a -little- better as I played. I just finished the missions to fight off the massive assault by the PLA and almost rage-quit, but the next mission is night ops, and I'm curious.

ChristofferC

Magister
I'm playing Wizardry 6 a little bit. So far I'm just running around and getting familiar with the game and trying to understand the profession switching.

Tel Velothi

Cipher
Right now playing Stalker: Shadow of Chernobyl with Oblivion Lost mod.
Also I'm having my first time with Baldur's Gate II (oh lawd - I know). I'm in the first dungeon so far. Trying to figure out what's it all about, etc. I'm quite enjoying it, we'll see. But my first impression aren't THAT good as I expected from all posts here about BG II. On the other hand - what can I say - I barely played it 30 minutes. :)

Tel Velothi

Cipher
@Ed123

Thanks for advices. :) I'll play it today for about 2 hours. But what exactly do you like about BG II?
For example one of my favorite games is Morrowind. Lore is just mind-blowing, there's loads of stuff to explore, non-generic characters, grey world, great graphic design, books, incredible atmosphere, world is really interesting, feeling like you are actually on a different planet, did I mention atmosphere? and many, many more.
Those are things why I love Morrowind. But you know what? I belive games (and not only - it can be cars) have something like "x factor" - you cant really say what is it. You can specify good things about a game but there's something more that can't be described. And I belive this "x factor" divides which game you "only" like and which game you love.

Raapys

Arcane
There are many good things about BG2. Decent and long side-quests, large and interesting game world, some very memorable battles, lots of cool items, secrets, etc. What it does best is probably spell-casting and spells. There's never been a more enjoyable game for spellcasters, I'd say. Probably finished the game like 2-3 times with solo sorcerer. Needs ToB installed for that extra dose of awesomeness though.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Armored Brigade. My favourite game to play at school and at work. Which is why it doesn't really belong to this thread.

DraQ

Arcane
Tel Velothi said:
For example one of my favorite games is Morrowind.
I can Tel from your nickname, if you excuse the pun.

Lore is just mind-blowing, there's loads of stuff to explore, non-generic characters, grey world, great graphic design, books, incredible atmosphere, world is really interesting, feeling like you are actually on a different planet, did I mention atmosphere? and many, many more.
Agreed - with exception of the characters. Some exceptions aside they are mostly quite lifeless, and even those exceptions are mostly interesting in terms of backstory rather than in terms of how they actually behave in game.
Also, you didn't mention absolutely kick-ass exploration element.

Those are things why I love Morrowind. But you know what? I belive games (and not only - it can be cars) have something like "x factor" - you cant really say what is it. You can specify good things about a game but there's something more that can't be described. And I belive this "x factor" divides which game you "only" like and which game you love.
From my experience this "x factor" is largely determined by the game being a labour of love rather than pure craftsmanship. A good tangible measure are fun things that didn't have to be included in game.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I'm replaying NWN2 OC (to be followed up by a replay of MotB) as an evil bard. I'm using core difficulty and only resting when I think it would be "realistic" to in a tabletop game. I've played through the game a few times but only MotB once. I think they patched the difficulty up a bit since I last played the OC, some of the fights aren't completely mindless with the enemies using save or die spells and crowd controls. It's been a good time other than a retarded bug that made me replay part of the end of Act I in order to get Act II to trigger properly.

After that, I'm torn, though I've been thinking about playing one of the Might and Magic or Wizardry titles.

I don't know how I hadn't gotten around to this before, but I just played all the way through the Quake single player for the first time. So good. I'd kill for a game like this nowadays, with heavy atmosphere, awesome music, great architecture, strange (and quick!) enemies, fast run and gun gameplay, brilliant tightly constructed maps.

The Painkiller and Serious Sam games just don't do it for me.

Are either of the Mission Packs worth playing?

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
DeathStalksTheLand said:
I don't know how I hadn't gotten around to this before, but I just played all the way through the Quake single player for the first time. So good. I'd kill for a game like this nowadays, with heavy atmosphere, awesome music, great architecture, strange (and quick!) enemies, fast run and gun gameplay, brilliant tightly constructed maps.
Can't believe you waited so long. I love Quake SP. The gameplay has severe problems (including a depressing lack of variety in the weapons - there really are only 4) and the overall game design suffers from a bad case of split personality, but some of the individual levels are brilliantly designed and the combination of music, monsters and level design create an awesome atmosphere.

Are either of the Mission Packs worth playing?
Both are good, but they never quite reach the same level as the original. id's level designers outdid themselves in Quake, especially Romero (see episode 2).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom