Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
Cruelty squad is certainly an experience
EjpHa5N.jpg

Not currently in the mood for these specific type of games tho

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Finished Alien vs Predator 2000 Marine campaing
I need a smoke
and I'm not even smoking

final puzzle was doable with the power of bunny hopping, but the constant stream of xenos in second-to-last mission was quite a treat

Might give it a try to Predator campaign, of go somewhere else

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Finished Alien vs Predator 2000 Marine campaing
I need a smoke
and I'm not even smoking

final puzzle was doable with the power of bunny hopping, but the constant stream of xenos in second-to-last mission was quite a treat

Might give it a try to Predator campaign, of go somewhere else
Those goddamn facehuggers...
Even worse in AVP 2. Heart attack inducing.

gamerguy

Educated
Beat Fire Emblem.., I really love Engage... I think I am going to try more of these.

Played some more Echoes... spiderball guardian down, powerball guardian down.

Playing all these nintendo/gamecube games has my dick hard for some waverace or maybe wind waker next.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Finished Predator campaign in Alien vs Predator 2000

Am I really that bad or wrist blades or hit boxes are weird? Auto targeting for shoulder plasma can be messy at time too...
Similar to pulse rifle - you can point at xeno's head and still miss most shots.
At least queen is dead.

axx

Savant
Finished Myst (1993) (courtesy of just who gifted me the gog key). Took me about 10 hours but I managed to complete it on my own (unlike some other clones like Lighthouse: Dark being). The 3 sequels seem solid enough so I'll try them eventually.

PulsatingBrain

Huge and Ever-Growing
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
Finished the original campaign for NWN last night. It's as forgettable as everyone said, but I was glad that Aribeth had some redemption in the end.

I'll definitely move onto the other campaigns, but for now I have been wanting to try out my new piece of gear. I've been stuck on a laptop for a while now and I've found it really uncomfortable to play anything with keyboard movement, so I finally caved and bought one of those 1 handed keyboard things. I quite like it so far. It's certainly a vast inprovement over this laptop keyboard.

I just started a new game of Oblivion. I'm not really commited to it, but I want to fuck around in an open world for a while, and this is one that will run well on this laptop.
As of now I'm only using Darnified UI and Oblivion xp, although I am still looking for a stealth overhaul of some sort.

Edit: Just added Deadlier Sneaking, Sneak Based Senses and Archery Rebalance.

Last edited:

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
I gave Chronicon yet another try. I take my words about not being able to get into diablo-likes back.
Turns out i just didn't like the fire berserker build i ended up choosing. Sky lord tree with a focus on speed and chain lighning skills is a lot more fun. Bless this game for having free respecs.
ER881co.png

This one's life ended here after two good jabs. Normal is a bit too easy, should switch to a harder difficulty.

curds

Magister
Playing Morrowind completely unmodded (ie. not even widescreen or patches) for the first time in forever.

I haven't gotten this sucked into MW for a long time. I think spending time modding the game actually kills my enjoyment of it. Usually I'll spend half a day installing mods then quit when I arrive in Balmora. This time I just installed the game and pressed play and I'm super invested. Playing a light-armoured long blade-user with some destruction, resto, and conjuration as backups. Doing whatever quests/guilds I feel like, but intend to go through the main quest entirely.

Morrowind is the first game on a list I compiled of games that I played tons but never finished, beginning with the 2 or 3 Codex top 10 RPGs I haven't completed. I'm hoping having a written list on my desk will encourage me to beat more games this year.

gamerguy

Educated
omg fuck this group of puzzle chores between the boss, the screw attack upgrade, and the save station

i dunno who's name is on that, but they a cunt

i'd rather fight another boss or something

Playing Morrowind completely unmodded (ie. not even widescreen or patches) for the first time in forever.

I haven't gotten this sucked into MW for a long time. I think spending time modding the game actually kills my enjoyment of it. Usually I'll spend half a day installing mods then quit when I arrive in Balmora. This time I just installed the game and pressed play and I'm super invested. Playing a light-armoured long blade-user with some destruction, resto, and conjuration as backups. Doing whatever quests/guilds I feel like, but intend to go through the main quest entirely.

Morrowind is the first game on a list I compiled of games that I played tons but never finished, beginning with the 2 or 3 Codex top 10 RPGs I haven't completed. I'm hoping having a written list on my desk will encourage me to beat more games this year.

Honestly this is probably a smart way of doing it. If you want to play modded down the line, now you're invested in the game already and doing so will be less of a chore. I like this idea, maybe I'll finally get around to revisiting New Vegas and playing the DLC for the first time.

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
Finished Hellblade Senua's Sacrifice,it's an interesting game,from a gameplay perspective it's an action adventure game where your time is plit between combat portions and puzzle solving portions.It starts the eponymous Senua a Celtic woman but its story has a lot to do with Norse mythology and the protagonist's eventual struggle with her psychosis.The presentation is the main attraction,the graphics look good even today and the art style that tries to represent the era is good,an interesting and I assume pretty accurate representation of psychosis.

Semiurge

Cipher
Doom 64 (re-release), :4/5: so far - one troll subtracted for being too easy.

Looks, sounds and works like a mix of Doom and Quakes 1&2. Having completed Plutonia Experiment recently, I find that the difficulty leaves much to be desired on "Watch Me Die!" and the maps are tiny, also the nastiest mooks Arch-Vile and Revenant are not present in this game. But then it was designed with early-ass console limitations in mind. For some reason the demons have the same grunts when alerted as the former humans did in Doom 1&2, which is confusing. Why couldn't they just use the same sound from those? The enemy sprites are simplified and not as stylish as in the originals, but the re-designed Pain Elemental looks cool.

Last edited:
Doom never did well in consoles and 64 ended up being as an odd one out. I don't think they had the capacity to develop a game that was a proper "Doom" type game. The levels are smaller and they tried to circumvent this by making them convoluted sometimes, which I don't know worked in the game's favor. I'm going by memory here though.

Zanzoken

Arcane

I would describe it as an action-adventure game, reminiscent of Zelda. Melee combat, platforming, solving puzzles, that sort of thing.

I like the environment art, the level design, and overall feel of the game quite a bit. I am mostly playing it as research for my own gamedev aspirations. I think a proper action RPG in the vein of Gothic or Morrowind made in this style would be killer.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I booted up Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order.

Ii's an okay popa-a-mole Uncharted/Soulslite mix.
I can't stop having a mental chuckle every time the character starts running, though. It's like he crapped himself, or really needs to go to the toilet. Considering the rest of the production values, it's a bit jarring.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck

I can't stop having a mental chuckle every time the character starts running, though. It's like he crapped himself, or really needs to go to the toilet. Considering the rest of the production values, it's a bit jarring.
The fact they compare it to the seminal Dark Forces 2: Jedi Knight or any of the other two Jedi Knight games is what's irksome to me.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

The fact they compare it to the seminal Dark Forces 2: Jedi Knight or any of the other two Jedi Knight games is what's irksome to me.
Regarding that, games inspired by Jedi Knight are rumored to be in the works at Respawn.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Once in a while there's some spark for some aliens sweeping action, and Alien Shooter series is a good pick. Snatched two new? games from previous sale and, to my surprise, one was the worst entry in the series, while another was pretty good... and probably best in the whole saga?

New Era - standard 10 maps to get through.
You can finish it in one sitting if you want. New engine means new effects and with that - clarity suffers significantly.
New engine brings major pain in the ass - collision issues. Had to restart missions quite a lot because character simply got stuck while fighting or looking for secrets, and those requires a lot of bush wandering or hugging walls. Imagine my surprise when my character got stuck because there was some obstacle here, that you can't see from your perspective, while checking left/lower wall (those are the most common one to hide something, upper and right might require some explosives, and you can see the cracks indicating that something is here). Whoever designed that level - you had one job...

AS2 Legend - the longest game in the "saga", can't be done in one sitting unless you replace coffee with some "flour". You get the world map, an option to replay every mission if you want to finish additional objectives.
Side tasks that requires some body/mechanical parts or teleports to destroy are the worst - RNG responsible for spawning them takes some sweet time between each drop. A mission that would easily be done in a 1-2 minute can take up to 5-8 minutes.
World map is cut into 4 sectors, each contains 5-7 Outposts, each with 3 such side tasks.
Yeah, quite a filler...
1QvIUbV.jpg

They added option in some patch to dismantle items for XP to boost both shoulder laser cannon and energy shield. Also stats.
Healing is either standard (portable medkits) or bit tricky if you go for secondary objectives like "no medkits during missions". You can either use red implant that might heal you when you get critical hit, or use weapons with "Vampirism" effect. While implant have 10-75% chance to be activated you get zero information regarding Vampirism. It does says something about "dealing damage", but you don't see this during gameplay.
ojkDsLJ.png

There are two rarest types of items - golden and purple. Former have best stats (and bigger magnitude?) while latter gains special traits like Ricochet, mini explosions of fire/poison/ice, life leech (which works in a mysterious ways after extensive tests), slowdown, knockback etc. The only gold item worth equipping is shotgun - you can pick one with 1 buckshot, get blue implant that randomly throw grenade when you reload and you get some nice toy.

And even with shoulder laser rifle and your own grenades that's still not enough for the final push. So... many...aliens... oh and sometimes queens become immortal for some reasons? Bug?

Last edited:

Yeoman

Educated
Currently making my way through the original Resident Evil 3. Really fun and quite tough. Challenging action gameplay and resource management with exploration and some puzzling. A lot of moments where the game just pulls the rug out from under you and you have to think and act fast. You get conditioned to become paranoid and jump at every noise, whether it's glass shattering or a dull thud, not because there's some spooky or gruesome jumpscare, but because the game isn't afraid to tear you a new asshole with a tough and chaotic encounter that could end your game when your last precious save may have been 30 or so minutes ago.

Most rooms have different variations in enemy composition and available resources that are determined at random. There are also slight variations in story events, encounters and rewards depending on some decisions you make or whether you choose to visit one area before the other. Both these things make reloading after a game over and trying different things (or even the same things again) interesting and sometimes surprising.

I'm playing the Sourcenext (2006) PC port with the Classic REbirth fan patch. I used a pre-installed version that comes with the official patch and fan patch files (not yet applied, just have to drag and drop them to apply them), downloaded from here:
https://archive.org/download/biohazard3lastescapejapansourcenext

There's a nasty bug right when you get to play as Carlos that causes the game to crash. Seems like restarting the PC (true restart, not just fast boot) fixes it, maybe like how restarting your PC fixes bugs in Mechwarrior 3 and Crimson Skies. Other than that, it seems to be stable, and has good performance and modern controller support.

8POlteY.png

QvunvJj.png

6ZbSKWv.png

bLNJcDE.png

g01oU7I.png

Mf2gEBR.png

VwutGdI.png

RaU9tfL.png

v5sc4pO.png

C3aqo8j.png

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
Ever since playing through Swords and Serpents I've been on a blobber kick.

Etrian Odyssey 4: Bought it on launch ten years ago, first EO game. Played for a little bit, didn't get into it and forgot about it. Recently found it a good game to play during downtime while WFH. The game never clicked with me before and the classes seemed lame, turns out there were three more classes to unlock more than halfway through the game, in addition to dual-classing. Once all the options kicked in it became really fun but you're talking about 15+ hour mark, so it's hard to recommend. Now I've beaten the story and 2 of the 3 postgame dragons, I might keep going and finish the postgame dungeon. It's supposed to be pretty hard and I'm not looking forward to a long grind to level 99. :3.5/5:

Bard's Tale Trilogy Remaster: Steam sale for like $3. Hard to say it's even worth that. The remaster is beautiful, plays really slick, and has tons of QoL features. The automap in particular is really neat, since it's precisely designed to only record the information you have available and nothing more (e.g. it only marks walls in dark zones if you bump into them, if you don't have the compass spell the map spins, etc.). Very cool. Downside is, Bard's Tale is a shit game. It has a simplistic joy of kill-loot-level, but it's difficult to comprehend how badly the game scales as you progress. Absurd fights with hundreds of foes are defeated effortlessly and award you with zillions of XP. It has all the gameplay complexity of an idle mobile phone clicker; Make Number Go Up. Over in the series thread the stans were telling me all sorts of ways to gimp myself to try to make the game fun but I don't see the point. I played through the first two titles and uninstalled. Don't want to get burnt out on bad games. :0.5/5:

Dragon Wars: I was not born to the PC master race, I immigrated in the Windows 95 era. Since I missed so many great Crpgs, I spent a lot of time on Home of the Underdogs checking out abandonware. I remember playing this way back then and dismissing it as a lame Wizardry clone because it boasted of importing Wizardry and Bard's Tale characters. Somehow I never realized it played more like Wasteland. It's great. Clearly after the clusterfuck of the BT games leveling you to the moon, they tried to squash the power curve into something more reasonable. The world is fun to explore, the character building system is pretty novel, and the combat is tactical and rewarding. The only issue is that they may have over-corrected from BT games, as it barely feels like you increase in strength when you gain levels. Wasteland has a similar system but at least it handed out levels plentifully. What they should have done was give you bonus skill points as quest rewards. Still, I'm enjoying it a lot for now.

Concerning Bard's Tale, I was so hyped for those "you'll fight 500xbarbarians!" type of encounters, only to find out by that point you have AoE spells that can easily dispose of them.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom