Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What if Fallout was the 70's in the future instead of 50's?

Phelot

Arcane
dibens said:
Original Fallout took the 50s nuclear war scare theme and made it it's own, but I feel like they really overdid it in the sequels- the music in radio is fucking atrocious and the style in general- toyish zapper guns, teletubby robots and grease gangs- feels out of place.

To add salt to your injuries, Oldfags, I'll also admit I enjoyed the Mad Maxy setting of Fallout:Tactics the most.

You mean FO3? Because beyond the 50's styled robots, 1 and 2 were pretty light on that stuff.

FO3 seemed to have the impression that Fallout = 50's parody lulz.

The 2 member teenage greaser gang in the starting vault was about as bad as you can get...

dibens

as seen on shoutbox
Patron
Yes, I meant sequels to the original series- FO 1 and 2.

My bad on FO3 then. I was never able to play it few hours past the vault because it crashed constantly. I did play NV extensively and assumed the Bethesda's game has similar overtones.

Luzur

Good Sir
hey 50's music is ok to listen too.

but i would rather have an 80's styled Fallout, with 80's styled tech and artifacts (80's cars, 80's computers, 80's cyberpunk clothing etc ) and not have Bethesda do it, they inda ruined the whole deal with too much 50's "Oh You" derp

Phelot

Arcane
80's would be pretty cool so long as it isn't a Vice City parody.

I consider it a goal to LARP a post apoc world while blasting Mr. Mister.

Luzur

Good Sir
could have 80's music coming out of that Commodore Amigaboy 2000 on your wrist while driving a rusty duct taped DeLoreon down the highway.

Redeye

Arcane
Davaris said:

Looks a lot like Vault Pyjamas:

OvWeu.jpg

Overseer!

edit:

@OP:

The various places the 70s Fallouter could find might be like the various Enclaves in the outside world in Logan's Run.

Paul Newman as Eskimo Mad Max.

I have to get I76 someday. Pop a tape in the 8-track...

Phelot

Arcane
Luzur said:
could have 80's music coming out of that Commodore Amigaboy 2000 on your wrist while driving a rusty duct taped DeLoreon down the highway.

Commodore_Amiga2000_System_1.jpg

I do like the idea of this thing attached to your wrist. :D

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Redeye said:

You really have. Great game. Well, except the unavoidable crash without replacing dlls.

But the game gained my heart forever when i did a car barrel roll by going slightly off the road into a incline, lifting off, turning the whole car around in 2 seconds and still touched down wheels to asphalt, going at 200km/h blasting.

:yeah:

btw, seach for "Do a Barrel Roll" without " in google.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
I76 used Mechwarrior 2 simulation engine, written by a guy who used to write simulations for the military.

All games in those series were awesome - MW2 series, I76, Battlezone.

Ok, Heavy Gear not so much.

MisterStone

Arcane
Like others have suggested already, I think that it would be much better if it was based on 80s culture rather than 1970s stuff. Punked out road-warrior goons, shitty weapons that were popular in 1980s films (such as uzis) used everywhere, mullets, more mullets, retarded-looking mirror shades, people who look like Stalone or Kurt Russell in tank tops emblazoned with Kanji, etc. etc.

Redeye

Arcane
MisterStone said:
Like others have suggested already, I think that it would be much better if it was based on 80s culture rather than 1970s stuff. Punked out road-warrior goons, shitty weapons that were popular in 1980s films (such as uzis) used everywhere, mullets, more mullets, retarded-looking mirror shades, people who look like Stalone or Kurt Russell in tank tops emblazoned with Kanji, etc. etc.

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer
Infinitron said:
Yeah, I thought about an 80's version, but like people have said it's already been done, to an extent. There's a load of 80's nostalgia in the videogaming world, lately a load of 50's nostalgia as well, 60's and 70's not so much.

What I like about the 70s is the humor and the memorable movies they made, broke all the rules.

The 80s can be made fun of, but IMO it was dull by comparison. When I think of the 80s, all that comes to mind is ugly fashion, big hair, RayBans, Reeboks, Gordon Gecko Yuppies, brick phones and Ronald Regan staring down the Soviet Union.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom