Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ultima What is the best Ultima game?

What is the best Ultima game?

• Total voters

v1rus

Arcane
Inspired by the Wizardry thread, lets do the same for Ultima.

Atrachasis

Augur
For me, it's a choice between V and VI. Worldbuilding and writing steadily improved from IV onward. Ultima VI had the world that I associate with the brand - with interesting nooks and crannies everywhere, relatable, diverse and well-written NPCs, and great environmental reactivity, really fleshed out for the first time. Combat probably peaked somewhere around V and took a nosedive after VI, and is the principal reason why I cannot ever consider VII the high point of the series. So I'll go with VI as the optimum and ṕretend that this choice is based on objective deliberations and has nothing to do at all with it being the first Ultima I ever played back in my ATARI ST days and my being totally imprinted on it.

Late Bloomer

Scholar
I'll go with Ultima Exodus. It was my first experience with Ultima. Certainly not my last. But something about the time period i was playing. I can still remember my room way back when, the cozy feels as I was playing. It might not be the best of the series but its my favorite.

Old Hans

Arcane
I've only played Ultima 6 so I nominate ultima 6 as the best Ultima ever made.

oh wait I also beat ultima 8 and ultima underworld. so those are also the best Ultima games ever made

The great Ultima's range from 5 to 7, including Underworlds and the Worlds series. Sure, I should include Ultima 4, but to be honest... I'm not a huge fan of the virtues. It seems to me that Richard Garriot is the kind of person that has only read 2 or 3 books in his life. Sure, some of his ideas can be insightful. But most of it really comes off as attempts at deep ponderings from a person who just finished reading his first book.

My choice of the best Ultima tends to change with mood.

Not long ago, I made a TL/DR post about Ultima 5.

Ultima - In 2021, Ultima V is still the greatest open-world RPG! |

What I appreciate about Ultima series is it's experimentation with interesting design choices. Not all of it works... but some of it is innovative, genius and full of potential.

For example, Underworld games are basically proto immersive sims.

Even Ultima 8 had some interesting ideas.

And still no one has yet to create the subgenre that Ultima 7 is the grandfather of.

This time I voted for Serpent Isle, because I like it more than Black Gate. It's cool, it's edgy and it takes more advantage of Ultima 7 click and drag interactivity.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Best Ultima game:

356218-exodus-ultima-iii-commodore-64-front-cover.jpg

Best game included in the poll:

948-ultima-underworld-the-stygian-abyss-dos-front-cover.jpg

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Wow, no love for VII this time around. For me V is the pinnacle. It's more of a game than Ultima IV which turns into a massive scavenger hunt. While VI is colorful and has more strategic combat, but has a really lame scenario. V looks really comfy both topside and in dungeons, has an interesting spin on what happens when you take virtue too far, and its scavenger hunt isn't anywhere near as bad as IV or VI's. I mean VI forces you to find all the runes again and that stupid treasure map. V let's you play with LB's toys to help you in combat.

Alan

Educated
Only played through Ultima IV and Underworld. Don't know why, because I really cannot stand uncomfortable gameplay anymore. Plus, I feel that most crpg lack motivation for the player to advance the plot, which I now see as the capital sin of flawed design

I was interested in playing Black Gate due to legendary status, but seeing how it has fallen in favor of Ultima V, I suspect that neither of them is really a winner.

PC games are mostly bad. Computer game designers never had a clue how to make an appealing videogame. They develop the most complicated thing, full of simulation, interactivity and moral principles; and that does nothing for me. I don't know what they are trying to prove

I wish these games felt more like a folk tale, and less like computer program

VII. A rather modern RPG in my opinion. It's not much about levelling and combat (let's be honest: combat is utter crap in this game) but about story telling and world building. And that's where it really excells. I do understand the reservations some have towards it as an RPG as sometimes it more resembles an adventure than an RPG but I really love this game to death. Just so much to discover and do and so many interesting, small stories, an unparalleled living world, unique characters, high interactivity. In my opinion it's the one game where Origin indeed managed to fulfill their motto "We create worlds". I found SI to be even more fascinating from a purely story related standpoint, very tight and focussed, but thus leaving out much of the freedom and adventure feeling of VII. Ultima Underworld 1 (not 2, that was a terribly unfocussed mess imho) is on the same level of perfection in its way to build a world where every detail is meaningful.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom