Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What is the point of the 30 day timeout on authenticated logins?

BruceVC

Magister
Taluntain DarkUnderlord seriously guys, how does making us enter the authentication code every 30 days improve security?

If you're worried about an attacker getting hold of an old computer that has an active Codex login, having logins time out after 30 days of inactivity would be just as effective, and not be a constant annoyance for active users.
Most 2FA has an expiry period, they could set it for less but that would create more drama
But the reason its done is the same reason its implemented. Security reasons, its the same reason you should change your password regularly and not use a cached password but who ever does that ?

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Taluntain DarkUnderlord seriously guys, how does making us enter the authentication code every 30 days improve security?

If you're worried about an attacker getting hold of an old computer that has an active Codex login, having logins time out after 30 days of inactivity would be just as effective, and not be a constant annoyance for active users.

It's to make sure that after you pass away from STD induced anus cancer, your father won't shitpost on this site.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Most 2FA has an expiry period, they could set it for less but that would create more drama
But the reason its done is the same reason its implemented. Security reasons, its the same reason you should change your password regularly and not use a cached password but who ever does that ?
Nobody who knows what they are talking about advocates for password expiry anymore. Expiring passwords worsens security rather than increasing it. Sadly there are still a lot of organizations who are stuck in bad, obsolete security practices that still mandate regular password changes.

BruceVC

Magister
Nobody who knows what they are talking about advocates for password expiry anymore. Expiring passwords worsens security rather than increasing it. Sadly there are still a lot of organizations who are stuck in bad, obsolete security practices that still mandate regular password changes.
What do you suggest as a viable alternative to passwords and password expiry, I am advocating for password expiry and MFA but nothing is perfect

Here is a link that discusses this and even the alternatives, which make sense, have resource and implementation challenges,like biometrics., in non-first world countries

https://www.forgerock.com/blog/6-wa...zon 2023,for the modern, interconnected world.

Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
What do you suggest as a viable alternative to passwords and password expiry, I am advocating for password expiry and MFA but nothing is perfect

Here is a link that discusses this and even the alternatives, which make sense, have resource and implementation challenges,like biometrics., in non-first world countries

https://www.forgerock.com/blog/6-ways-passwords-can-be-stolen-and-how-passwordless-can-stop-them-all#:~:text=According to the Verizon 2023,for the modern, interconnected world.
It's a shitty forum, you don't need any of this just because a select few idiots got themselves hacked. Especially fun when having multiple different devices so I have to do this shit on all of them. I spend more time doing shit for the Codex than I do getting into my own bank.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron

https://www.forgerock.com/blog/6-ways-passwords-can-be-stolen-and-how-passwordless-can-stop-them-all#:~:text=According to the Verizon 2023,for the modern, interconnected world.
Passwords that don't expire combined with 2FA seems to work reasonably well.

BruceVC

Magister

It's a shitty forum, you don't need any of this just because a select few idiots got themselves hacked. Especially fun when having multiple different devices so I have to do this shit on all of them. I spend more time doing shit for the Codex than I do getting into my own bank.
I find it hard to believe that you are spending longer than 5 minutes on Codex with your 2FA every month

Once its configured it works, it asks for a new password every 30 days. It has given me no problems, you just have to cookies enabled and you can do that just for Codex. Most browsers allow you to that if you have issue with enabling of cookies

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
I'll explain that if you can first explain to me what the purpose of the 30 day timeout is, and how it achieves that purpose.
Okay, but... you just advocated for a 30-day "timeout" period in your original post! Huh?

Renewing the security certificate via 2FA every thirty days further discourages malicious actors from attempting to steal accounts by guessing their passwords, being handed an account by some butthurt user, or other possibilities, by requiring a second factor (email or cell phone) not just a single time but on a regular basis.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
It's a shitty forum, you don't need any of this just because a select few idiots got themselves hacked.
It's your right to characterize this as a shitty forum (which you actually paid real money to be a part of, by the way) but you probably don't realize the real headache that relatively recently stolen accounts caused for the administration of said shitty forum. It resulted in a serious glitch in the forum's database which had to be meticulously repaired (which I'm sure you simply don't care about).

If it weren't for our resident Polish web janitor's skills, we'd probably still have bizarre delays, entirely broken threads and all sorts of other nastiness.

Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
It's a shitty forum, you don't need any of this just because a select few idiots got themselves hacked.
It's your right to characterize this as a shitty forum (which you actually paid real money to be a part of, by the way) but you probably don't realize the real headache that relatively recently stolen accounts caused for the administration of said shitty forum. It resulted in a serious glitch in the forum's database which had to be meticulously repaired (which I'm sure you simply don't care about).

If it weren't for our resident Polish web janitor's skills, we'd probably still have bizarre delays, entirely broken threads and all sorts of other nastiness.
Yeah, deleting posts. The same thing that Taluntain said can be mitigated by just restricting how many posts you can delete in a specific time frame.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
0*E1eNateTiDThGcYI.jpg

CHEMS

Scholar
I only access the codex on a computer on my dingy basement, its sole purpose is posting on codex

i fear nothing, they should fear me

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
I'll explain that if you can first explain to me what the purpose of the 30 day timeout is, and how it achieves that purpose.
Okay, but... you just advocated for a 30-day "timeout" period in your original post! Huh?

Renewing the security certificate via 2FA every thirty days further discourages malicious actors from attempting to steal accounts by guessing their passwords, being handed an account by some butthurt user, or other possibilities, by requiring a second factor (email or cell phone) not just a single time but on a regular basis.
30 days after no activity, to prevent anyone from exploiting an active login on an abandoned device, which is the only situation where any kind of automatic timeout makes sense. If a hacker can get past the 2FA once then he can most likely get past it multiple times.

2FA with timeouts after a period of inactivity is how sites like google and steam does it. Does the codex really need to be more restrictive than that?

grimace

Arcane
Level up our cybersecurity skills, fight against spam, highlight incline, mock decline.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom