Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What makes Morrowind superior to Oblivion?

I've bashed Morrowind in the past a lot more than I should have. It's in its own class, really. We have CRPGs, JRPGs, Action RPGs, and games like Morrowind, Environmental RPGs. Oblivion is to Morrowind what Dungeon Siege is to Diablo, a poor clone. Now, I'll readily admit that the Morrowind today is a hell of a lot better than the Morrowind of a few years ago due to the extremely high quality mods that improve just about everything. There's even a dialog revamp mod, which adds in a ton of great stuff, and will unfortunately never find an equal in Oblivion because of full voice acting.

The first time I played Morrowind I quit early on in the main quest. This is because I was playing it wrong. It is a hiking simulator, and very enjoyable if you approach it as such. That's why I've been able to pick it up every few years, download the latest mods, and go exploring.

The one thing that makes Morrowind better than Oblivion? The world is feels lived in.

Ebonsword

Arcane
As others have said, the level scaling in Oblivion really sucked a lot of the fun out of the game.

My first complete play through of Morrowind was as a thiefish character. In a lot of other games (Neverwinter Nights 2 comes to mind as an example) there isn't a lot of incentive to play as a thief because of things like:
(1) No good items to steal
(2) The guards in every city in the world know that you stole a copper piece in a pissant village in the middle of nowhere (though I think that Morrowind may have suffered from this flaw a bit, too)
(3) You can only gain XP through combat

Morrowind, though, was very different. In Morrowind there were tons of worthwhile things to steal (I remember, in particular, an almost full suit of glass armor could be purloined at the fort by the War Wall (or whatever the hell the glowing barrier was called)). Plus, you could sell off the great gear that you stole and earn enough money to buy your way to magical and physical might.

In Oblivion, though, due to the level-scaling, there was pretty much nothing worth stealing, which made the entire style of gameplay I enjoyed in Morrowind impossible.

Also, (again, as others have mentioned) the exploration aspect of Morrowind was fantastic. I loved not knowing when I stepped into a dungeon if there might a Vampire Lord in there guarding some powerful item or maybe just a gang of thieves with a few gold pieces.

Also, I agree with those who think that the atmosphere and art design where awesome in Morrowind. The Daedra ruins actually looked utterly alien and forboding. And I remember being quite uneasy the first time I set foot in a dungeon that had those whispering voices swirling about in surround sound.

Maybe I should try installing some mods which fix the level scaling in Oblivion and give it another chance. Maybe.

Oblivion300

Novice
In Oblivion the most annoyning thing is complete level-scaling that really drives that game non-sense-making. At low levels you can become Gulidmaster or complete mainquest without any bigger problems while at highs you are struggling with common bandits, all of them wearing daedric equipment. Yes, unmodded Oblivion IS a shit. But fortunatley there were a lot of people that actually made it BETTER than MW, sometimes by restoring things taken away from MW :) FCOM pwnz! :D

Heres short list of most annoyning things in vOblivion with short explanations:

-Level-scaling. Thats been explained above
-Chameleon 100% - not hard to obtain, its virtually legit god-mode since it's notarget mode :P
-Underpowered magick system apart from Chameleon - fighter class pwnz magick ones easily in vanilla
-useless persuasion - charm 100 for 1 sec. eventually bribe. no use of this skill any longer.
-randomness - there is very few hand-placed items and creatures that exist regardless of ur lvl
-thievery - hmm usually im entering house to strip it out of various wares - but they are mostly worth 0 gold ;(
-quest-arrow - bethsoft cares for retards and 3-year olds? the diary gives enough information to compele quest. no need of some stupid arrows.
-weird economy - infinite merchant gold, vendor items FAR inferior to these found in dungeons making vendors completly useless.

Naked Ninja

Arbiter
Morrowind was fantastic. The main thing that let it down was the character system, the use based thing gets really tedious really fast without perks/feats/whatever to buy at level up. I find it seriously hard to muster excitement over "your conjuration skill increased by 1%!". They tried to enhance that for Oblivion but they forgot to add player choice to the selection of skill perks. I want to choose. Agonizing over the choice is fun.

But the world, the lore, the whole thing just had this incredible character to it. A triumph of world design, imo.

It wasn't perfect, if could have had more choices and allowed you to have more impact, sure. But the joy of exploring that setting was something I don't encounter that often. I would have loved to see Bethesda take morrowind and continue along that direction. That was honestly my biggest problem with Oblivion. Not the folding of Axe into Bash. Not even the level scaling. It was the generic-ifying of the setting and storyline. I lost that desire to "go see what's over there"

Squeek

Scholar
To appreciate the direction Bethesda took with the fourth game in the series, it's a good idea to understand the original game and its first two sequels. Arena was a straightforward game with massive potential, and its developers took that in one direction and then another.

Daggerfall came closest to being the ultimate Elder Scrolls game. Its sandboxyness and illusion of massive depth was steeped in secrecy, often conspiracy, and exuded the promise of ultimate intrigue.

But as an application, it was incomplete. Its world seemed hopelessly shallow, and the game was unbalanced and riddled with annoying technical problems. Daggerfall was amazing but deeply flawed.

The third game was the pivotal point in the series. Instead of taking Daggerfall to the next level, Morrowind was a simplification that had a greater emphasis on graphics. It appealed to a whole new market of gamers, some of whom had never considered RPG until then.

Oblivion pursued that even further. It was even simpler and emphasized graphics even more. As we all know by now, its appeal was even greater. Ironically, Morrowind fans who hated Oblivion resented that aspect of it most of all.

I suppose I enjoyed Morrowind more because of the lack of level scaling, items, a non invasive main quest, more interesting world, etc, many things that have already been mentioned.

I played a super ninja - grinded my jumping and running skills and then proceeded to jump into all sorts of buildings and places and stealing everything not nailed down to the ground. Stealing something, having like 15 guards running after you (they auto leveled to be like 5 levels stronger than you), and then executing a ridiculous series of jumps over a wall and into the hills was quite fun. It was great being able to sneak or jump into areas you knew you had no business being and knowing anyone there could hand your ass to you. In addition, when sneaking into banks and such you never knew what you were going to find, except that it was almost always cool as hell if it was hard to get to. I remember jacking some glass armor from the main city and then running like hell and jumping off a 5th story building into the moat and swimming to safety.

Also, there a lot of interesting events; I remember one time I was just minding my own business running around in the wilderness and suddenly i hear this scream and look up and some mage falls to his death from above. I run over to him and hes got a note and a amulet or something that gave him this mad jumping power, but he didn't have anything to slow his descent. I saved the game and used the amulet and managed to kill myself in a similar fashion, to my great amusement.

To summarize, it seemed like there were always interesting places to go and things to do. While in Oblivion there were some pretty landscapes to check out, but a distinct lack of interesting things to do, and as already mentioned, the thievery/ninja aspect was greatly nerfed because of level scaling. In addition, in Oblivion, you could hardly wander around a corner without walking into an Oblivion portal, which should have been cool as hell, but somehow wasn't. I guess I didn't like how epic Oblivion tried to be, while Morrowind had a much lower key main quest, something about spying and intrigue, if I recall correctly, and it was possible to get off the boat and 100% ignore it if you so desired.

For anyone to say Daggerfall was good is living in a dreamworld. It wasn't as bad as Oblivion, however, and was obviously vastly different. This leads me to conclude that there are three seperate lineages of ES games. Oblivion is a sequel to Arena. Daggerfall has a spin-off in Battlespire. Morrowind has a pseudo-prequel in Redguard. In that order, the target audiences are the mainstream, masochists, and explorers. If this is true, there may be hope for Bethesda yet, and they're just releasing crap so they can gain enough cashflow to produce the next game in the third lineage!

Elder Scrolls V: Eye of Argonia

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Carrie Underwood said:
For anyone to say Daggerfall was good is living in a dreamworld.
I'm looking forward to read your arguments, which I'm sure you are about to post.

Raapys

Arcane
Daggerfall was awesome, and is easily my favorite TES game. And it was never even finished.

Fez

Erudite
Carrie Underwood said:
For anyone to say Daggerfall was good is living in a dreamworld. It wasn't as bad as Oblivion, however, and was obviously vastly different. This leads me to conclude that there are three seperate lineages of ES games. Oblivion is a sequel to Arena. Daggerfall has a spin-off in Battlespire. Morrowind has a pseudo-prequel in Redguard. In that order, the target audiences are the mainstream, masochists, and explorers. If this is true, there may be hope for Bethesda yet, and they're just releasing crap so they can gain enough cashflow to produce the next game in the third lineage!

Have you played through the Elder Scrolls series or are you just pulling this off of Wikipedia?

Vault Dweller said:
Carrie Underwood said:
For anyone to say Daggerfall was good is living in a dreamworld.
I'm looking forward to read your arguments, which I'm sure you are about to post.

I was going to, but I thought it would be better to just respond to anyone who says "Daggerfall was great because of [this]!"

Fez said:
Carrie Underwood said:

Have you played through the Elder Scrolls series or are you just pulling this off of Wikipedia?

I never finished Daggerfall or Arena, actually. Also, I would never knowingly pull anything off of Wikipedia.

SpaceKungFuMan

Scholar
Zomg said:
Honestly? I thought that was a dead argument. The obvious reductio ad absurdum of zeal for stat-driven outcomes is a screensaver - i.e. all aspects of the game are mediated by the character's stats, leaving nothing for the player to do. Instead just accept that elements of the character's actions are divided between character mediated (stat-driven) and player mediated (skill-driven) spheres. You can argue that a particular element should be or not be in one or the other sphere, but it's nonsensical to try to eliminate player skill completely.

At least go the Roqua route and say that the proper domain of the player is tactical and the proper domain of the character is everything else if you're going to argue that way.

I didn't say everything has to be stat resolved. But the to hit roll is a deal breaker for me. RPG combat without a to hit roll pulls me out of the game world faster than 4th wall breaking dialog.

My ideal game would only have stats that represent physical charcteristics, with mental characteristics like intelligence replaced by magical aptitude. You cannot stop the player from thinking through things the way the player will, so intelligence as a stat can never really mean anything but magical ability anyway. Combat would then be resolved entirely by stats, and the player's tactical decisions don't break the system at all because tactics is left entirely to player skill. If you have a stat and player skill also factors in, then the system is broken from the start.

Vault Dweller said:
Naked Ninja said:
I'm beginning to think I need a tinfoil hat to properly appreciate the standard Codex viewpoint.
Or to play Daggerfall.

You know, about two months ago I obtained a copy of Daggerfall and have been playing it almost every day since. I've finished the game's main quest with one character, taken another character to the point where I could quite easily finish the main quest with him if I wished, and am playing the game through yet a third time with another character, this time with severe disadvantages to make the game much more difficult. It's a fantastic game, and I don't see myself getting tired of it anytime soon. In my opinion, it's by far the best game in the Elder Scrolls series, and one of my favorite RPGs, period.

That said, I do nevertheless think that Morrowind is a good game. If you ask me, it's a little unfair to judge it against Daggerfall, because both games definitely emphasize different things and are focused on different aspects of gameplay. Each has its share of good points and bad points. Daggerfall is more of a dungeon crawling sort of game, with its sprawling, eerie dungeons and large variety of challenging enemies to test your mettle against. It boasts a much stronger character creation process than subsequent games in the series, with the option to empower or cripple your character with many different advantages and disadvantages that also make it more or less difficult to advance your skills respectively. This, along with the greater number of different skills to choose from and the division of skills into primary, major, minor, and miscellaneous, allows you much more freedom to create truly unique characters that each offer different gameplay experiences. There were more opportunities to roleplay your character, with many different factions and guilds that you could choose to do quests for, and the option to choose which quests your character is and isn't willing to take, with little real consequence, not to mention the freedom to choose who benefits from your actions in the main quest.

Much of Daggerfall was random content, but it was random content done, for the most part, anyways, very well. You never knew what quest you were going to get next from whatever noble you may or may not have chosen to work for, and dungeons could hold many dangerous surprises. It was not uncommon to run into vampire ancients and daedra lords at level four that could easily kill a level twelve character. One of my favorite Daggerfall moments was when my low level assassin-type character had to sneak past a vampire ancient that had taken up residence in a small corridor that led to the exit of the dungeon I was in. Daggerfall was often, at least until you reached about level 14 or so, a very challenging game.

NPCs were even more lifeless and robotic in Daggerfall than in both Morrowind and Oblivion, but that was forgivable because the sheer quantity of NPCs wandering about added a lot of atmosphere to the game. There could be hundreds of NPCs going about their business in major cities, not to mention all the cows, pigs, cats, dogs, horses, and camels lying around making their respective sounds. Cities in Daggerfall were repetitive, but they had a lot of atmosphere, and Daggerfall is the only RPG I have ever played where the cities truly felt like they were cities. How many buildings, exactly, did Daggerfall or Wayrest or Sentinel have? I don't know, but I would say that there must have at least been a hundred.

Daggerfall has a lot of things over Morrowind, that is true. But there are two areas where Morrowind clearly excels, and that's exploration and world-building/lore. There is little to no incentive to explore in Daggerfall, as the unimaginably vast wilderness is largely desolate, with only the very rare monster wandering the wastelands aimlessly, or more accurately walking in place in the middle of nowhere. There is little reason to stray from the kingdom of Daggerfall, where you begin the game, and go to the other kingdoms in the Iliac Bay, save for roleplaying reasons and to complete the main quest. They're all pretty much the same, save for different wall textures here and there and a Redguard population in the Hammerfell provinces. I suppose that some of the capital cities of some of the provinces also have fewer guilds and services than Daggerfall, but that's hardly an incentive to go to those places. From a gameplay perspective, there's just little reason to really explore the Iliac Bay.

If you go into one of the many public libraries scattered across the Iliac Bay or into one of the libraries of the various Temples or the Mage's Guild (provided that you are a member and have the privilege of perusing their libraries), and read some of the literature there, you will find that High Rock and Hammerfell are quite interesting and diverse places, with their own unique histories and cultures. The problem is, you don't really see much of that in the game. The population of the Iliac Bay is, for the most part, rather homogeneous, with only superficial differences in clothing and skin color and minor variations in architectural style or, more often, merely the wall textures of the houses.

By contrast, Morrowind is a gorgeously hand sculpted world that provides players with a real incentive to explore the gameworld. Although the dungeons are significantly smaller and less challenging than in Daggerfall, this time around they are more detailed and interesting, with areas that feel genuinely lived in, and often you will find a dungeon that has its own storyline that is completely unrelated to any quest. Now, that isn't to say that there aren't a lot of fairly boring dungeons in Morrowind. There are, believe me. But there are enough interesting things to find in the various dungeons scattered around Vvardenfell to make it worth one's time to look for them all.

Then there's the art design and the lore, which are, to my mind, absolutely superb. Most of that fantastic lore that you read about in the Morrowind section of the Pocket Guide to the Empire that comes with Redguard is more or less realized in Morrowind. For the first time in an Elder Scrolls game you actually get to see some of those cool things that you read about in the books lying around in the game and in the Pocket Guide to the Empire. Ashlander tribes, slave markets and plantations where Khajiit and Argonians work themselves to death, Dwemer and Daedric ruins, Great Houses and silt striders...all of those things that I read about are realized in the game. It's a truly rewarding, and yes, fun, experience to find these things in the game. Say what you will about the gameplay of Morrowind, but there's no denying that it's a well-designed (if lifeless at times) world.

Oh, and it's probably also worth mentioning that playing a thief-type character is a lot better in Morrowind than it was in Daggerfall, in my opinion. In Daggerfall your pickpocketing skill basically only allowed you to filch somewhere between one to five gold pieces a time from the townspeople, with a fairly high rate of failure, I believe. Houses had little of value to steal, and it was almost impossible to steal something from a store. It was nice that you could evade guards by climbing the walls and jumping across buildings, though, and I liked that you could debate or lie your way out of prison, not to mention the fact that your reputation in the region goes down after you commit a crime, even after you've spent your time in jail and I think even if you're found not guilty (?). As someone has mentioned previously in this thread, though, thieving skills were put to much better use in Morrowind, as you could actually steal things from stores and there were actually things worth stealing.

For my part, I definitely prefer Daggerfall to Morrowind, and think that it is the better game. It definitely has more replay value, I think. In the future, I see myself playing Daggerfall a lot more than I see myself playing Morrowind, simply because the gameplay is (for the most part, with a large exception noted above) so much better. I like them both, however, and I think they appeal to different types of gameplay. At the moment, I feel more like playing Daggerfall, with its greater challenge and more in-depth character creation. But, some months from now, my mood may change and I may feel like delving once more into Morrowind and exploring that superbly designed world (though this time with a lot more mods, probably!). I don't think I ever did explore the northwestern area of Vvardenfell completely...

Naked Ninja

Arbiter
Naked Ninja wrote:
I'm beginning to think I need a tinfoil hat to properly appreciate the standard Codex viewpoint.

Or to play Daggerfall.

Mmm, your opinion doesn't seem to be the standard Codex view, Vince. You find it a good game but disappointing after Daggerfall, right? I can appreciate that, no problem. Read through this thread, that is not the commonly held opinion though. The standard opinion is somewhat more negative.

Then you get statements like this :

Instead of taking Daggerfall to the next level, Morrowind was a simplification that had a greater emphasis on graphics.

Emphasis on graphics? There is a difference between amazing art design and a rich, lovingly handcrafted setting and dismissively saying they had an "emphasis on graphics". Ugh. This is the tinfoil hat part. The assumption is that their design decisions were chosen to make it "simpler" and ""shinier", instead of being because they believed handcrafted content was more interesting and engaging, overall.

And you will need to prove to me that the graphics for Daggerfall weren't the best they could do at the time, to validate the statement that MW had a "greater" emphasis on graphics than DF. I'm pretty sure they made it as good looking as they could at the time.

hakuroshi

Augur
Morrowind was a disappointment for me at the time of release. I loved Daggerfall and wanted the next game to develop what I loved - basically a fantasy simulator with strong illusion of a living world where PC is only an insignificant part. Something they did very good - initial setting was far more developed then in DF and much expanded lore fitted the setting very well. Unfortunately it's probably the only really good thing about MW, except maybe sky and weather and non-living objects were also good. While essentially MW was more interactive then DF, it failed to create an illusion of a living world. It was too damn small for that and too focused on PC. Nothing happened unless PC is involved. Admittedly in DF also really nothing happened even with PC involvement, only PC is affected by his actions. But there was an illusion that something happens behind PCs back - the shopkeeper whom you saved from bandits a month ago now wants some goods delivered etc. It was very imperfect illusion and easily brocken, but it was here. In MW I felt that my PC is actually LARPing in some well done theme park. I eventually came to liking the game for good setting lore and hiking pleasures but only after 2 years of expansions and modding.

In Oblivion they have fucked up the setting and lore and shrinked the world even more. I remember that in arena to ride across Cyrodill takes 50 days or so. Now it's 11 hours GAMETIME, 20 munutes realtime. They improved combat mechanics, quests and grafix but while better then in MW it is not something to write home. They pulled out from DF forgotten treasurebox horses, houses and level scaling and implemented them horribly to make even moderate improvements in gameplay to look worthless. It is not even a LARPing anymore.

Mostly agree with oldhomehaibane, not completely, but enough to could have been writing whole parts of the post myself.

Edit: And we should not forget that Arena and DF had been made by pnp roleplayers (at least there were enough of them to make a pnp-party inside Beth) while MW by Rolston (who is good gamedesigner but not a player) and some creative even if twisted people who are also game-designners. And Todd made Oblivion. It's funny as he was in Beth since arena I think and should have know better.

Mefi

Prophet
Patron
waiting for a train at Perdido Street Station
Naked Ninja said:
Mmm, your opinion doesn't seem to be the standard Codex view, Vince. You find it a good game but disappointing after Daggerfall, right? I can appreciate that, no problem. Read through this thread, that is not the commonly held opinion though. The standard opinion is somewhat more negative.

Is the question 'good game' or 'good rpg'? Perennial hoary chestnuts for sale, perennial hoary chestnuts...

Squeek

Scholar
Naked Ninja said:
Then you get statements like this :

Instead of taking Daggerfall to the next level, Morrowind was a simplification that had a greater emphasis on graphics.
Emphasis on graphics? ...blah, blah, blah... And you will need to prove to me that the graphics for Daggerfall weren't the best they could do at the time, to validate the statement that MW had a "greater" emphasis on graphics than DF.
I don't think I like that rule, so I'll ignore it. Sorry if that upsets you.

All of us who are old enough remember what a big deal Morrowind's fancy new graphics were at the time. ATI even started shipping a copy of Morrowind with its top of the line graphics card. You're entitled to your own opinion, of course, but your point about mine is stupid, Naked Ninja.

Naked Ninja

Arbiter
I don't think I like that rule, so I'll ignore it. Sorry if that upsets you.

So you have no proof then?

All of us who are old enough remember what a big deal Morrowind's fancy new graphics were at the time. ATI even started shipping a copy of Morrowind with its top of the line graphics card.

You're missing the point. I'm not asking for proof that Morrowind's graphics were considered high end and that the dev team put significant effort into making it look good. I'm asking for proof that the same wasn't true for Daggerfall at the time when it was released.

Saying that ATI shipped a copy with their graphics card isn't proof that the MW dev team had a larger focus on graphics than the DF team, sorry.

I did some googling :

UGO

Released two years after Arena, The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall was truly a revolutionary game. Doing away with the entirely sprite-based graphics of Arena, Daggerfall was actually one of the first truly 3D games of such a large scale featuring fully polygonal environments. Not only did Daggerfall feature major graphical enhancements over Arena, it also featured a much larger landmass to explore.

From FileFront :

The recipient of every major "Best RPG of the Year" award, The Elder Scrolls: Daggerfall revolutionizes the world of role-playing games, creating a new standard in 3D graphics and role-playing expansiveness.

Gamefaqs :

Graphics/Sound - 8

It's got alot of the same score from Arena but a little better quality. The sound effects are greatly improved as well. But the biggest improvement aesthetically are the graphics. The game looks leagues better than Arena. And now, you're in true 3d. You can climb and dive and all the other things you'd expect in a 3d game.

So they did a major graphics engine overhaul to make it as cutting edge, graphically, as they could, at the time. For both games. My point is not stupid in the slightest.

Squeek

Scholar
Relax, Ninja. I'm not trashing the game you seem to love. I just disagree with you about a couple of things.

The system used for Daggerfall, the one a lot of us wanted to see expanded and improved upon, was simplified for Morrowind. At the same time, Morrowind's graphics were much better. The same can be said about Oblivion in comparison with Morrowind. And yes, all TES games have had outstanding graphics.

Those things aren't mutually exclusive. They're all true, all at the same time.

Relayer71

Liturgist
Naked Ninja said:
Morrowind was fantastic. The main thing that let it down was the character system, the use based thing gets really tedious really fast without perks/feats/whatever to buy at level up. I find it seriously hard to muster excitement over "your conjuration skill increased by 1%!". They tried to enhance that for Oblivion but they forgot to add player choice to the selection of skill perks. I want to choose. Agonizing over the choice is fun.

But the world, the lore, the whole thing just had this incredible character to it. A triumph of world design, imo.

It wasn't perfect, if could have had more choices and allowed you to have more impact, sure. But the joy of exploring that setting was something I don't encounter that often. I would have loved to see Bethesda take morrowind and continue along that direction. That was honestly my biggest problem with Oblivion. Not the folding of Axe into Bash. Not even the level scaling. It was the generic-ifying of the setting and storyline. I lost that desire to "go see what's over there"

I wholeheartedly concured...up until you said, "not even the level scaling".

This sucked the fun out of the game completetly. If this hadn't been handled as poorly as it had been, at least there would have been SOME point in playing. I think the Oblivion dungeons were an improvement over Morrowind's but level scaling made it not matter.

Naked Ninja

Arbiter
The issue I had was that you made it sound like they sacrificed gameplay depth for a greater focus on graphics. Which I believe is nonsense, they always had a strong focus on graphics, there was never going to be a question of whether they would make it look as good as they could or not. It wasn't the reason for the "simplification".

If anything, I'd say the number of useless skills in the DF char system led to someone deciding to consolidate it. And the many criticisms of the bland cookie-cutter nature of the world led to them going hand-crafted.

You may not agree with those decisions, and I'm fine with that. But they implication that they "dumbed it to focus on the pretteh gfx!" is what I don't agree with. It was a decision based on feedback received about the flaws of DF. Hopelessly shallow, wasn't that what you said? Maybe they decided the only way to counter that was to go hand crafted, yes?

The Codex seems to have this general need to tear down even the motives of people who make games they don't like, instead of saying the product just wasn't something they enjoyed.

Naked Ninja

Arbiter
@ Relayer : Well, I did say the level scaling wasn't my personal worst problem, but that's because I'm a lore/setting nut. It certainly was a problem. I started doing Kvatch at lower level, left halfway through, came back at 26th level (pure mage) and had my shit torn up by legions of powerful daedra. To the point where I had to set the difficulty down to get through. Ugh.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom